SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2009, 08:21 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Sep 2004
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipT35
Currently investigating the possibility of using computer 'mouse' cable for the servo extensions through the boom to the rudder and elevator. My thinking is that just two standard size servo cables (black & red) will serve as the power lines for both servos, with 2 very lightweight 'mouse' inner wires for the two signal lines. Hopefully this will keep the weight down at the tail end.
I did the exact same on my Pulsar 3200 to save weight. I used a common pos and neg wire for the two servos, and then ran an independent signal wire to each one. I think I used wire from a printer cable, but any small gauge wire will work. The over all weight saving of doing the wiring is minimal, it just makes it slightly easier to balance since you are minimizing the weight in the critical area, ie., the tail.
flyboy320 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy320
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2009, 05:00 AM
Manchester, UK
Joined Feb 2009
283 Posts
Just noticed that Hyperflight, from whom I bought my 2m Pulsar, are now suggesting that lighter servos are good for both the elevator and rudder in order to keep weight down at the tail-end. Previously the suggestion was SD150 (D60) for elevator and perhaps SD100 (D47) for rudder. Now they recommend go with the lighter units on both and mouse cable! (The power of RCgroups knows no bounds!)
SkipT35 is offline Find More Posts by SkipT35
Old Mar 04, 2009, 05:44 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
D60 is WAY overkill for elevator..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 04, 2009, 08:09 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
As Andy mentioned...D60 is overkill. I used 2 D47's in mine, and they worked well and fit beautifully.

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Mar 04, 2009, 05:28 PM
Joined Aug 2003
169 Posts
When I look at the Pulsar 2008 2m ad in Bob's Soaring USA website, I do not see the need for placing the rudder and elevator servos in the tail. What am I missing? Jack
jackandmusa is offline Find More Posts by jackandmusa
Old Mar 05, 2009, 01:00 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2003
542 Posts
jackandmusa - because that's how it's designed to work.

If you enlarge the plan shown in thumb-nail on the site you will cleary see the servo positioned in the fin and elevator. In addition if you look at the earlier post on this forum by Skip35 you will see that the rear of the tail boom has a factory made recess specifically to house the elevataor servo!!
Stan Rose is offline Find More Posts by Stan Rose
Old Mar 05, 2009, 02:04 AM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,893 Posts
Quote:
Currently investigating the possibility of using computer 'mouse' cable for the servo extensions through the boom to the rudder and elevator. My thinking is that just two standard size servo cables (black & red) will serve as the power lines for both servos, with 2 very lightweight 'mouse' inner wires for the two signal lines. Hopefully this will keep the weight down at the tail end.
Any comments from someone who may have tried this before?
Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. Yes I have used mouse cable wires to extend tail servo leads on many models. Sometimes 4 mouse wires, sometimes 6. Never normal wires for power. On one model I used ~30g single core enameled copper wire successfully, though the lack of flexibility does increase the chance of a fatigue failure.

Neil.
PS Yes I did update the http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...de=PULSAR-2008 page.
Neil Stainton is online now Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Mar 05, 2009, 04:02 AM
Manchester, UK
Joined Feb 2009
283 Posts
OK. So just maybe I'll remove the SD150 elevator servo and replace it with another SD100 to keep tail weight down - especially as I'm currently favouring the lighter Hacker B20L-/15 or /18 +gbox (weighing in at 69gm) over the heavier Mega 16/15/3+gbox up at the front end. As I've mounted the servo on 1/32 balsa in the boom tray then removal shouldn't be a problem (famous last words!)

Had a look around at the options for mounting the Futaba R617FS 2.4GHz FASST Rx. Stan Rose has previously posted an elegant installation at www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917855 and no matter how I ponder it I reckon he's got it nailed for the Futaba! The other temptation I see is to mount the Rx up in the wing recess directly above the fuselage pylon cut-away so that you can run each antenna out into its respective wing angled forward to make 90degs. Looks like v tight fit, but would be a neat solution.

To avoid repeatedly plugging in&out of the RX pins I reckon a slimline plug/socket combo (JST-XH battery balance style connector?) would be good here. Is this the way all you guys out there do it?
Old Mar 05, 2009, 04:53 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2003
542 Posts
I use a Multiplex 6 pin plug on mine. I also use the same system on larger models with up to four wing servos. Works fine.
Stan Rose is offline Find More Posts by Stan Rose
Old Mar 06, 2009, 03:01 AM
Manchester, UK
Joined Feb 2009
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Rose
I use a Multiplex 6 pin plug on mine. I also use the same system on larger models with up to four wing servos. Works fine.
Thanks Stan. I thought I saw a Multiplex plug down in the shadows of an earlier photo of yours, but I wasn't quite sure. I've just tried out a quick experiment using a mating pair of JST-XH balancer plug/sockets and they also work fine, so I guess most of the balancer types will also serve well if you have them to hand.

Looking forward a little, what brand of 3S Lipo fits well in the Pulsar08 fuselage? My favourite Kongpower 2200mAh unit is juuuust too large by a fraction to slide in (I guess I could at a pinch remove the outer heatshrink ). However, it's probably too heavy for comp work at 188gm. I guess 1500mAh would be more appropriate for this? What do you experienced comp fliers use?

Keep all those thoughts coming! It's been great to receive input from around the world and really helps get back up to speed on my return to the hobby after a 40-odd year absence!
Old Mar 06, 2009, 03:42 AM
HyperFlight Support
Joined Feb 2001
3,893 Posts
Quote:
What do you experienced comp fliers use?
I use 4S 1.3ah lipo packs in my Super AVA and Supra-e. I get at least 6-9 climbs to 200m from these. I would suggest a 3S 1ah - 1.3ah pack. You will get even more climbs, but it is very convenient to be able to fly for the whole day without recharging, and I doubt saving 30g will make much difference in average conditions.

Neil.
Old Mar 06, 2009, 06:36 AM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
2,775 Posts
Quote:
What do you experienced comp fliers use?
I'm a bit out of place, with my reply, as I don't fly comptetition. That said, I use a ThunderPower 2s 2100 mah LiPo, in my Puslar 2m. I can fly well over an hour, in still air, with that battery. My power is a Hacker B20-15L with a 4:1 planetary gearbox running an 11x8 Aeronaut CAM Carbon prop.
Tim Green is online now Find More Posts by Tim Green
Last edited by Tim Green; Mar 08, 2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2009, 03:03 PM
Manchester, UK
Joined Feb 2009
283 Posts
Thanks for battery gen Neil & Tim (& Stan by PM) Helpful data.

Remedial surgery at the tail end and removed the SD150 servo and replaced with the lighter SD100. Boy am I glad I used a thin balsa seating base cos it made it nice'n'easy! Only problem is that the elevator horn will now need moving inboard to line up with the smaller servo of course .

Still, we got in some good club flying this afternoon in the first slightly warmer weather here in Manchester for some considerable time. It'll probably snow again next week!
Old Mar 09, 2009, 04:02 AM
Manchester, UK
Joined Feb 2009
283 Posts
Borrowed a Hacker B20L+gbox. Isn't it tiny in comparison with the butch outrunners! The 2 M2 machine screws on the Maxon gbox are set at 9.5mm pcd, whereas the hole in the installed firewall is 10mm. Mmm . However, I'm told that new motor units are shipped with a pre-drilled 30mm dia 1mm thick mounting disc. I guess this could be filed down slightly and epoxied behind the present firewall - or indeed in place of the present firewall. Even with a light rear end (no JLo's here!) balance may be a worry I guess. Time to start adding up all the moments followed by a dry run.

Staying up at the sharp end - where's a good source of 30mm spinners and folding prop bars guys? The ranges I'm familiar with only seem to go down to 32mm.

The inner plastic tubes from biros are a great size for the Futaba FASST Rx antennas at around 1.5mm id and 2.5mm od. So that's the next job to sort out in a manner similar to Stan Rose's photo mentioned in a previous post.

Looking to be a wet and windy week without much prospect of any flying around here. Maybe I'll get the boat lifted out ready for anti-fouling (bottom painting to you guys in the US).
Old Mar 09, 2009, 06:38 AM
HyperFlight Support
Joined Feb 2001
3,893 Posts
We hope to have some of Vladimir's 30mm spinners in 2-3 weeks.
http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...ubcat=Spinners

Neil.