HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2009, 06:28 PM
Much to my CHAGRIN . . .
Bellflower, CA
Joined Mar 2005
462 Posts
Question
Spectrum AR500 and flaperons…

I'm nearing completion on an Arrow Legend and plan to fly it on 2.4 ghz. To that end, I purchased an AR500 RX thinking it would give me proper flaperon function. A flying buddy told me today that the AR500's aileron channels are simply Y-harnessed internally and that the RX would not mix flaperons.

Apparently he was right. I just powered up the Legend wing to center flaperon servo arms and noticed that the servos work fine as ailerons, but when I checked the flap function, the aileron surfaces still moved opposite of each other. Not good…

Has anyone else had to deal with this glitch, and if so, what's the work-around? I'm using the X9303 TX and an Arrow setup copied from my old 72 mhz. 9303. Didn't someone here do some testing of the AR500 and find it OK for flaperons? HELP!

Mark C.
machild is offline Find More Posts by machild
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2009, 06:43 PM
Much to my CHAGRIN . . .
Bellflower, CA
Joined Mar 2005
462 Posts
Problem solved…

Made a quick call to Dave. Feeling really stupid right now. Do not use the two aileron slots on the AR500; they do not give you split ailerons. Use the THRO and the AIL slot closest to the short antenna. Everything works perfectly. A tiny detail the guys at JR/Spectrum neglected to include in the Idiot's Guide to using this thing.

MC
machild is offline Find More Posts by machild
Old Jan 25, 2009, 01:42 AM
Joined Mar 2003
3,036 Posts
Mark,
If your transmitter is broadcasting (aileron)flaperon functions on channels 1-2, why wouldn't you have tried it on channels 1-2 on the RX? Aren't your other planes that use Berg 4 channels set up the same way?
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:15 PM
Joined Sep 2009
306 Posts
I too can't get flaperons to work with the AR500... How would you use the THRO as an aileron? Where would you plug in your throttle then.... I've also heard to use the 'gear' as one of the aileron plugs, but I haven't had much luck with that either. I think we need AR6200's...
earthling1984 is offline Find More Posts by earthling1984
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:23 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,711 Posts
I flew DLGs all last year on AR500s. Use the first four plugs and ignore the extra aileron port...

Easy peasy on the 9303... next to impossible on the DX7
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:26 PM
Greg Short
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Jul 2008
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
I flew DLGs all last year on AR500s. Use the first four plugs and ignore the extra aileron port...

Easy peasy on the 9303... next to impossible on the DX7

Agreed...now that I figured out the sailplane programming. I'm using an AR500 and plan to use a couple more in the future.

Tom, I pm'd you so as not to hijack someone elses thread. It's probably relevant to this though.
gshort72 is offline Find More Posts by gshort72
Last edited by gshort72; Apr 13, 2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:48 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,195 Posts
On a 5 channel receiver, That's 5 seperate channels , none tied together inside the receiver, if you have the ailerons moving in the correct direction, but the flaps go up instead of down, I have "always" been able to correct that by just swapping the two aileron connectors at the receiver.

Try it,

walt
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Old Apr 13, 2010, 04:27 PM
NorCal
Joined Nov 2009
484 Posts
Walt,

With the AR500 there are 5 separate channels, but 6 servo ports. The 6th port is labled as an Aileron, but is just a "Y" of the main aileron port.

Earthling, it all depends on which transmitter you have. As Tom said, with a JR 9303 it is easy in Glid mode. With a Specktrum transmitter, I've heard it can be done, but it's not easy. It's easier to buy a 6 ch. receiver.

Brian
bjue is offline Find More Posts by bjue
Old Apr 13, 2010, 04:46 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjue View Post
Walt,

With the AR500 there are 5 separate channels, but 6 servo ports. The 6th port is labled as an Aileron, but is just a "Y" of the main aileron port.

Earthling, it all depends on which transmitter you have. As Tom said, with a JR 9303 it is easy in Glid mode. With a Specktrum transmitter, I've heard it can be done, but it's not easy. It's easier to buy a 6 ch. receiver.

Brian
Thanks Brian, My fix won't help if you have two ports that are paralleled together. That's so, not cool to me. otherwise some day you will/ may need my fix.

walt
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:02 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,370 Posts
Actually Walt, your "fix" should work fine as there are 5 independent channels plus 1 tied to the ail channel but it is a 6th plug at the end of the rx. I was able to program my DX-7 to use channels 1-4 and have flaperons work for my Blaster2 DLG's. I did this because of the failsafe only being available on channels 1-3 on the AR6250. Shortly after I figured out how to make that work I switched to a "hacked/frankintransmitter" using my Evo-12 and a Spektrum module. That made assigning the channels very easy. So for your fix to work there would need to be an aileron mix to either channel 1 or 5.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy