HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2009, 02:48 PM
Joined Apr 2006
8 Posts
Discussion
Billings African Queen

I have just obtained a Billings African Queen kit.It is an old one, but for $ 50 I thought I couldn't turn it down. It looks to be complete, with one (big) exception. There are no instructions. I have built a number of scratchbuilds, mostly from Model boats free plans, but they have all been wooden hulls. If I goofed something up I could always grab a new piece of balsa and start over.
I can probably figure out a lot of what is to be done, but it would certainly help to know just where the prop shaft should fit, or where to install the bulkheads in the hull, etc in the ABS hull.
There is one large sheet showing all details on building the boiler and engine (which I probably won't use) and on the other side is a view showing the deck layout. I have to think there should be more than that to help build the kit.
Assuming there should be more drawings or instructions, does anyone have anything I can beg borrow or buy, or suggestions on how to proceed? I have checked the threads on this site, and haven't found a build on this hull. Any help will be appreciated.
Lesco is offline Find More Posts by Lesco
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2009, 02:55 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesco
There are no instructions.

Assuming there should be more drawings or instructions, does anyone have anything I can beg borrow or buy, or suggestions on how to proceed? I have checked the threads on this site, and haven't found a build on this hull. Any help will be appreciated.
Some info and full size pics here..
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...p?topic=6842.0
and here..
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...p?topic=9917.0

Have you tried contacting Billings to see what you are missing?..
http://www.billingboats.com/index.html
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:50 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,227 Posts
When I built the African Queen I was kind of shocked at the lack of instructions, they only provided a generic type of instructions for the kit. The same instructions can be downloaded from the Billings website. It is a pretty basic model so by looking at the drawings it can then be assembled.

I built the model so feel free to post questions.

Thanks
Steve
steveciambrone is online now Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:39 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,268 Posts
Just remember, the Steam Engine/Boiler in the film did not drive the boat. The Green box is an engine cover over ether a gas or diesel engine. The Hull is made from Iron strips riveted on frames not wood.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:46 AM
Joined Jul 2008
768 Posts
My question is on the Billings model- why the hydrogen and oxygen tanks? Why would those be of use on a steam boat? Does it have something to do with the movie perhaps? Oxygen to stoke the fire maybe?
Habanero is offline Find More Posts by Habanero
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:01 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,113 Posts
Bogart was probably transporting them to a buyer, before his boat was
commandeered by Hepburn..
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jan 25, 2009, 08:15 PM
Joined Jul 2008
768 Posts
Remember seeing the flick at summer camp 30-odd years ago. Now that I own the model I wanted to rent it but Netflix doesn't even have it
Old Jan 26, 2009, 03:25 AM
Joined Apr 2008
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero
Remember seeing the flick at summer camp 30-odd years ago. Now that I own the model I wanted to rent it but Netflix doesn't even have it
I just went to Net Flix and found it (http://www.netflix.com/Search?ff2_su...f2_submit.y=18)

Andre
Portland Oregon
amdaylight is offline Find More Posts by amdaylight
Old Jan 26, 2009, 09:26 AM
Joined Jul 2008
768 Posts
Try putting it in your queue.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 09:38 AM
Joined Apr 2008
164 Posts
Quote:
Try putting it in your queue.
I see what you mean, I wanted Operation Petticoat and it took them 6 months to get it to me. I will have to grill my wife when she gets home and find out what gives with Netflix, she used to work for them in customer service.

Andre
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:02 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,829 Posts
Quote:
My question is on the Billings model- why the hydrogen and oxygen tanks? Why would those be of use on a steam boat? Does it have something to do with the movie perhaps? Oxygen to stoke the fire maybe?
In the course of the film Bogart fixed a broken prop and later used the cylinders as explosive charge carriers when he turned the boat into a torpedo.
If you were operating a mechanical contrivance several hundred miles away from any possible help, having a few bits and pieces with you would seem a good idea.
Classic movie, try to find it on DVD.
mfr02 is online now Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:09 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,025 Posts
In the movie they emptied the cylinders out and packed them with dynamite,made crude contact fuses and sank the German gunboat. That is the only reason for them to be there,damn good story and movie though.

This is my version of the kit,mine was built as a rum runner launch. I did build the fake steam plant as an alternate arrangement.
charlie eaton is online now Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:08 AM
Joined Apr 2008
164 Posts
I generally don't put figures on my boats, the figures just don't look right to me, out of scale or just bad proportions. But saying that some how with out Bogart and Hepburn in the model it just would not look right, maybe because with out them it would not be the "African Queen".

Andre
Old Feb 01, 2009, 04:41 PM
Joined Apr 2006
8 Posts
African Queen

Iíd like to thank all who made suggestions and offered help to my query regarding plans for the Billings African Queen
I tried e-mailing Billings but the first address on their website didnít work, and so far I havenít received a reply from their Danish site. There is a list on their site for downloading instructions, but the African Queen isnít on that list. However, through the local hobby shop we found a site with drawings and measurements that I think will be enough to get me well started on my kit.
I donít think I will use the dummy steam power, and like the way Charlie Eaton used the hull, but converted it to what he called a rum runner. I hope he wonít mind my copying his ideas. The pictures he posted are a real help.
In the late 1970ís there was a plan published for a 42 inch Steam Tug called the Weymouth.I wonder if anyone remembers it? I built it, and put a Stuart Turner Vi0 engine in it. It ran well, although the only radio control I had was for the steering. The main problem was that if the engine stopped on dead center it stalled. I machined up a Double 10, but all it really did was use up the steam faster (although it didnít stall). I left it alone for a long time, but recently I started construction of a smaller 2 cylinder engine, called the Borderer, which, although 2 cylinder, has the same total cylinder capacity as the single cylinder V10.I may have it finished in time for this summerís sailing, and see how it goes.
I realize this last bit is really off topic, but perhaps it will be of interest to some modelers.
Lesco is offline Find More Posts by Lesco
Old Feb 01, 2009, 07:46 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,025 Posts
Lesco, be my guest and copy my boat all you want. I did stain all the woodwork and haven't made up the cargo of booze as yet. The way the boat is built the center section of the deck is removable for almost the whole lenght of the boat. This makes getting at equipment very easy. I did make an engine cover to hide the 600 size motor. I'll add a couple of pictures to show you. I extended the aft decking forward to cover the rudder servo. The extention on the back of the engine cover is for the ''transmission'' I added a shift lever on that. I have a tiller on the rudder so the boat would be run fron the rear seat.
charlie eaton is online now Find More Posts by charlie eaton