HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2003, 01:04 PM
El Queso Grande
Rippin in Hood River, OR, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
New Weasel Owner. Any tips?

Just got my kit. Gonna start building today. Any suggestions? I noticed in the instructions that there is a slight dihedral but the wings are not bevelled, is this a problem (the gap that will result) or do you bevel the wing first?

Want to state the kit is awesome. Spars are ALREADY installed in the wing. Cut lines are marked on the coroplast. Looks great.
windsurfer is offline Find More Posts by windsurfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2003, 07:31 PM
anyone else on 27?
santa barbara, ca
Joined Mar 2003
51 Posts
i just finished building the kit myself, which was my first kit of this kind. i didn't even build models when i was a kid but i had no problems at all due to the detailed instructions and the fact that all the compartments are pre-cut and the slots marked.

i did have a few questions about the dihedral though, but micheal richter (the designer) answered them all the next day (you can get his email address from his website, flyweasel.com ). he was extremely helpful during the entire building process, and even took me out for my first flight.

basically tape the two wing halves together with the double sided tape and press them together firmly. then remove the plywood joiner and cover it with 5-minute epoxy. then put the wings flat on a table, but put something under the tip of the right wing so that it is 1 inch of the table, insert the joiner and hold the middle of the wings together and down for 5 minutes while the epoxy cures. if you did it right, when you remove the block and hold one of the wings flat against the table the other wing tip will be 1 inch off the table surface. i used the epp wing cradle that came with the kit as the 1 inch block to keep the right wing tip off the table. at its widest point it is about 1 inch high.

there is no beveling of the wing required.

some more tips: make sure you put 3 strips of fiber strapping tape around the nose of the pod and onto the wing as suggested in the instructions. i've already beached my weasel 4 times and crashed it into a tree. without that tape the nose pod would have detached by now.

also buy 3/4 inch plastic tape from home depot or osh and put it along the leading edge of the wings and nose pod to keep dirt from getting under the packing tape and causing it to curl up.

make sure the battery and the reciever are SECURE in the nose pod. i ejected mine on the first rough landing, and my reciever hasn't been the same since.

if you crash hard enough to crush the nose pod of the weasel (like i did) you can open the battery compartment and use 5-minute epoxy to glue the nose back into the right shape.

make sure you have the weasel trimmed right by flying it in an open field before you try flying it over the slope. trim it until it flies straight and level.

don't get epoxy in your hair.

razor blades are really really sharp.

that's pretty much it.
arena is offline Find More Posts by arena
Last edited by arena; Mar 11, 2003 at 07:35 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 09:15 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Re: New Weasel Owner. Any tips?

Quote:
Originally posted by windsurfer
I noticed in the instructions that there is a slight dihedral but the wings are not bevelled, is this a problem (the gap that will result) or do you bevel the wing first?
Naw, don't worry about it. I thought about it as well, but it's a tiny, tiny gap and you put the pod over that area anyways...it's a non-issue.

Quote:

Want to state the kit is awesome. Spars are ALREADY installed in the wing. Cut lines are marked on the coroplast. Looks great.
Nice! I didn't know he was installing the spars, too...my kit didn't have that! Well, that takes another 5-10 minutes off the build time.

My biggest tip is that you are most likely not going to enjoy covering the plane with the packing tape, the first time you do it (if this is your first packing tape experience). I know I didn't....I still don't really like the tape, but I'm getting more comfortable with it. Gotta hand it to Michael, he really put up with a TON of questions from me and he's always been totally cheerful about it. Suffice to say, if you have any questions at all he's going to go well out of his way to help you. That's just the kind of guy he is.

And don't hesitate to ask us, either!
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:27 PM
Colorado
Joined Dec 2002
97 Posts
Follow the tips of taping as soon as the 3M glue tacks. My other models that I have taped, I waited over 30 minutes and the tape does not stick as well. Also I used a covering iron (test on other piece of foam with tape on it) to tighten up and very slightly shrink the tape. Be careful to much shrinkage can warp the wing.
Also like SurfImp stated - email Michael - he is very helpful and responsive, I know I am sold on my Weasel.
MTNHISLOPER is offline Find More Posts by MTNHISLOPER
Old Mar 12, 2003, 12:45 AM
El Queso Grande
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
Thanks for all the tips. I've actually used packing tape before (on planes that didn't require it such as the SoarStar and ElectraJet) so I'm familiar with the issues involved. I've noticed that many posts have said that they needed to weight the nose so I'm using a bigger RX pack on mine, I can always use more weight in my conditions. I want to look into that ballast idea.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 01:29 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by windsurfer
I want to look into that ballast idea.
The ballast really makes a difference once the wind gets to 20-25mph plus. It just smoothes everything out and really speeds up the penetration. It's also extremely helpful for DSing...the Weasel makes an excellent DS trainer/investigator due to it's high bounce factor and low number of pieces to break off.

Just make sure you put the weight over the CG, and you'll be styling. There's another recent thread on this board (I believe it's in "Pics of my new Weasel") that shows where to cut the ballast hole--basically right over the spar. I've found that 2oz. of weight is plenty, but you can always add more if you want.

Good luck!
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2003, 02:06 AM
El Queso Grande
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
HERE'S A TIP! I've used 2" strapping tape, and that stuff will adhere to EPP like glue. No need to use the 3M stuff if you use a layer of strapping tape first. Of course that means extra weight but for me that isn't an issue.