SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:54 PM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,842 Posts
Discussion
converting a slope wing to electric power

Is there an after mkt pod or some kit accessory available to do this. I have an old boomerang and a fairly strong electric motor I would like to attach to it some how . All thought appreciated..

thanks

Gary
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:24 PM
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Aug 2004
595 Posts
I am not familiar with the kit you mentioned but a Stryker C mount is one possibility for the motor, simple bolt on and is about $5
Broncomech is offline Find More Posts by Broncomech
Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:31 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
its not going to be quite as simple as a "bolt on" with a wing.. it will need rebalanced and checked over and it would most likely have to be a permanent modification ... not something you can just pop on and take off whenever
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Jan 24, 2009, 05:14 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Sure you ca make it a temp thing.

Use a pod built to hold motor esc battey and then mount it to the underside of the wing.

the servo leads may be your only issue of the esc lead depending which way you go.
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Jan 24, 2009, 05:26 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Australia, WA, Cooloongup
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
I'n not familiar with your wing, but power system pods do exist and could possibly be suitable.

http://www.flyingwings.co.uk/store/p...roducts_id=610
TSnake is offline Find More Posts by TSnake
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:11 PM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,842 Posts
thank you.. anyone know the u.s. equivalent of the store this gentlman just recommended??
thx
GC
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:18 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grfcon
thank you.. anyone know the u.s. equivalent of the store this gentlman just recommended??
thx
GC
there is not one.. but then again there is no reson you could not duplicat that design and set it up for your wing..

Part of the fun can be building it yourself.
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Jan 25, 2009, 02:24 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Australia, WA, Cooloongup
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Here's a guide to building a power pod that may give you some ideas (or not).
Good luck, I think it's a great project, let us know how you get on.
http://www.acesim.com/rc/construct6.html
TSnake is offline Find More Posts by TSnake
Old Jan 28, 2009, 01:05 PM
Joined May 2005
6 Posts
Well proven Boomerang power pod idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by grfcon
Is there an after mkt pod or some kit accessory available to do this. I have an old boomerang and a fairly strong electric motor I would like to attach to it some how . All thought appreciated..

thanks

Gary
Hi, Gary. Your boomerang is a great choice as a wing to convert to electric power. I have maybe 400 flights on mine. It was powered by a Mega 15/16/5 with a 7-4 prop and ten 600 mah nicads. (180 watts when fully charged) Now I am using 3 cell lipos and it does not seem quite so powerful as before, but still quite sufficient for me. I will try to attach some photos of my power pylon. It sits up just high enough so the 7" diameter prop clears the ailerons. As well, it is high enough that the wing can slide in to a landing without fear of hurting the prop. The motor axis is aligned parallel to the lower wing surface. The motor is fixed to the pylon with double sided tape and a zip tie.

The pylon is made of the posterboard with 1/4" foam between two pieces of cardboard. This is faced both sides with 1/32" plywood. The base is 1/32" plywood. Underneath the wing covering I put another piece of 1/32" plywood which can accept small screws to fix the pylon to the wing. As well, I use double sided tape under the pylon base.

My installation has always been quite haywire, with everything out in the breeze, although cleaning everything up and hiding it would be great. Not so good for cooling the battery however. Balance point is 7 1/4" back from the nose. It would be good to use a LiPo of about 1500 mah to get the balance right. I have an 800 mah LiPo but the bird needs added lead for balance. You also should be able to use small servos. Mine has full size servos, but that is what I had to begin with.

I have always hand launched the wing, with the motor off. Once it is out of my hand I apply power and away it goes.

This wing is a very nice flier. Smooth, just so long as you keep the speed up. I have frightened myself a few times with tip stalls.

The only disadvantage of this mod is that the heavy motor is up on a pylon. In a crash the pylon usually breaks off, but I don't expect that you crash very often, so that should not be a problem.

I hope you try this mod. It works for me.
Calvin
wingflier is offline Find More Posts by wingflier
Last edited by wingflier; Jan 28, 2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 29, 2009, 04:51 AM
mikedsilva
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2005
298 Posts
What are you screwing that pod's baseplate into? do the bolts go all the way through with another plate on the bottom?

I am about to convert a standard Windrider Bee to electric.
THRUSTLINE - is this meant to be up, down or neutral?

Thanks

Mike
mikedsilva is offline Find More Posts by mikedsilva
Old Jan 29, 2009, 07:30 AM
Joined May 2005
6 Posts
Thanks Mike for the interest. Yes, it is not too clear.
I put a small sheet of 1/32" plywood the same area as the base of the pylon under the iron on covering with some more doublesided tape. The iron-on covering also secures it quite well. Then the pylon screws are just 3/8" metal screws. The force on the pylon mount is not too great so the attachment does not have to be extreme. I think the double sided tape does most of the holding. It may be better that the attachment is not too strong so in a crash it will come off without too much damage. Any crash damage is usually a one evening fix.

I would describe the thrust line as neutral, that is, parallel with the bottom of the airfoil.

I have found the Mega 16/15/5 to be more a cruising type motor than a hot rod. Nice loops but not blazing speed. A 16/15/3 would push it harder but I think the 48" wing is better at the slower speed. A great aileron trainer and confidence builder for me.

Good Luck.
Calvin
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:07 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,954 Posts
front of the bird

Hey there.

If you mount the motor up high and use a high power motor that will push this along like some of the powered wings, your thust line is going to be so far up that the plane will tuck every time you add thrust.

I would recommend the high mount only if you are going to put a lower KV motor...otherwize you are going to be pulling your hair out trying to figure out where you plane is going every time you power up or power down - unless you are very very very smooth and use soft start . . . . . .

think about a nose mount...or cut it out for a proper mount with the motor down at the CL of the wing
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:47 AM
Joined May 2005
6 Posts
Agreed - Mods needed for high Power

Yes, I agree that the pylon mount is not the solution for high power. Where you are trying to break the sound barrier with 400 watts output to the prop you must have the thrust line right through the airfoil. With the 150 - 180 watts I have used I did not get into trouble. Also, much of my flying was at almost minimum throttle and close to the ground or high up looking for lift. I did not have a problem ramming the throttle to full after a hand launch (worst case)

The choice of height for the pylon was made by fitting the propellor circle between the ailerons. For the 7" prop the pylon has to be higher than with the 6" prop. If you are using a higher Kv motor with a smaller diameter prop the pylon does not need to be as high. If you are modifying a wing different from the boomerang you have to modify the spacing between the ailerons to accomodate the prop size and pylon height. All design considerations, but easily tried with this idea.
Calvin
Last edited by wingflier; Jan 30, 2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: editorial
Old Feb 01, 2009, 01:27 AM
mikedsilva
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2005
298 Posts
Converted BEE to electric

well, here is my BEE.
I couldnt get the dedicated electric version here so just added a motor to the BEE.

The mount is a parkzone plastic mount for the Stryker... i think.
Motor is a 28mm ARC 2850KV... turning a 4.7x4.2 prop.
Controller is a CC45amp and the battery is a TP Extreme V2 2200mah...

Balance is about 1/4inch further back than what the manual states... how critical is that?

Hasn't flown yet... was about to head out but it started to rain...

I know the battery at the front looks messy, but it should be good for cooling!
mikedsilva is offline Find More Posts by mikedsilva
Old Feb 01, 2009, 01:38 PM
Joined May 2005
6 Posts
Looks good to me Mike, with everything out in the open. That is how my Boomerang has looked for five years and it flies great. It does look like you are aiming for much higher speeds than I was.

Because a wing is very short the balance point is quite critical, but your first flight will tell you about that, if you are brave. Otherwise you would be safer to aim for the balance point in the plans. Good luck on your first flight.
Calvin