HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:16 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,853 Posts
Discussion
Original Storm Launcher Lipo in a Mini Storm Launcher....will it work?

So Walmart has MSL's for $15 but after exchanging and going through 10 of them, I'm convinced that their lipos have expired because they are all doing the same thing, not charging.

I have original Storm Launcher Lipo's and can get them for $10 right now.

Will the original SL Lipo's work in the MSL or is it too much for it to handle? If it can handle it, will it be too much weight?

I'd like to be able to use the original charger for the SL's lipo.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:33 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Chances are, the lipo charger with the MSL is complete junk, with only an on/off circuit built in.

You might be able to get away with it, but I doubt it'll fly very well at all (like it flies good at all in the first place, but hey, why not).
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 24, 2009, 02:36 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Biggest lipo I was able to run in a MSL was 450mah. It flew like a bullet (ultra fast and like it was made of lead).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Chevy
So Walmart has MSL's for $15 but after exchanging and going through 10 of them, I'm convinced that their lipos have expired because they are all doing the same thing, not charging.

I have original Storm Launcher Lipo's and can get them for $10 right now.

Will the original SL Lipo's work in the MSL or is it too much for it to handle? If it can handle it, will it be too much weight?

I'd like to be able to use the original charger for the SL's lipo.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Jan 24, 2009, 05:29 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Theres not a chance a full size SL pack will work on an MSL. Two main reasons, the first is weight. The SL pack weight almost as much as the whole MSL does. Second, the SL packs are 2S and that much voltage will likely fry the MSL electronics. Even if you seperated the SL cells, I think it would still be much to heavy. Of course, you could always try it, I just don't think it would work very well.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Jan 24, 2009, 06:30 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,853 Posts
Yeah, I think in the end it sounds more like a waste of time. I bought the yellow f/a 18 jet by air hogs to numb my pain from it all......too cold to fly right now I hear good things about it though.

When is air hogs going to put out more "Pro" flyers like the Storm Launcher?
It seems that the SL is the only "pro" and I want to see more. The SL is great but when I see things go smaller like the MSL, it worries me that that's the direction they will go.
Last edited by Heavy Chevy; Jan 25, 2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:44 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Quote:
When is air hogs going to put out more "Pro" flyers like the Storm Launcher? It seems that the SL is the only "pro" and I want to see more.
SL? Pro? LOL!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:57 AM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,853 Posts
Hey, it's as "Pro" as I've ever gone. I'm a newbie, I guess I'm a true 'pro' virgin.

I was just quoting the ranking system that air hogs actually uses. They have an age appropriate guideline with their own logos. They have 'easy to fly', 'intermediate, and 'pro'; they classify the SL as a 'pro'. There is a big difference between the SL and the other easy and intermediate flyers by their standards. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any future "Pro" flyers by air hogs?

Being a newbie, the next step that I have my eyes on is the super mini cub as well as the F/A-18C Electric Ducted Jet from Exceed RC. These seem appropriate for someone who wants to take the next step in RC flying.

Maybe someone has some suggestions, I'm open.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:30 AM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Generally 27mhz is "toy" and 72mhz is "hobby" or "pro". I like to play with both. IMO Cub is good move but fan planes are very inefficient and short lived.

Quote:
Hey, it's as "Pro" as I've ever gone. I'm a newbie, I guess I'm a true 'pro' virgin.

I was just quoting the ranking system that air hogs actually uses. They have an age appropriate guideline with their own logos. They have 'easy to fly', 'intermediate, and 'pro'; they classify the SL as a 'pro'. There is a big difference between the SL and the other easy and intermediate flyers by their standards. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any future "Pro" flyers by air hogs?

Being a newbie, the next step that I have my eyes on is the super mini cub as well as the F/A-18C Electric Ducted Jet from Exceed RC. These seem appropriate for someone who wants to take the next step in RC flying.

Maybe someone has some suggestions, I'm open.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 03:50 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,853 Posts
If I was to get a new battery for an MSL, which would I get from this page that I found? Would it still work with the stock charger?

http://www.all-battery.com/li-polyersinglecells.aspx

Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2009, 04:07 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
The 110mah for $2.99 looks like a good deal but connector will be different. A little soldering can fix that.

PS the MSL charger does a very good job at CCCV charging. People consistantly underestimate the technology in these "toys" which are years ahead of most "hobby" grade planes.

Quote:
If I was to get a new battery for an MSL, which would I get from this page that I found? Would it still work with the stock charger?

http://www.all-battery.com/li-polyersinglecells.aspx

Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2009, 02:12 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich smith
The 110mah for $2.99 looks like a good deal but connector will be different. A little soldering can fix that.

PS the MSL charger does a very good job at CCCV charging. People consistantly underestimate the technology in these "toys" which are years ahead of most "hobby" grade planes.

I'm not seeing any 110mah on that page. Was it such a good deal that you bought them all? Ha!

No but really, I don't see one. IF you can find it and it has a product number or a link specifically to it, can you send it my way?

Would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Old Jan 27, 2009, 02:35 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
4th down on the right. Pic and spec says 110mah but bullet says 85mah. Didn't see the error because w/dialup my pics always turned off. Either will work.

http://www.all-battery.com/polymerli...h401235-1.aspx

I only buy from HobbyCity.

Quote:
I'm not seeing any 110mah on that page. Was it such a good deal that you bought them all? Ha!

No but really, I don't see one. IF you can find it and it has a product number or a link specifically to it, can you send it my way?

Would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Last edited by rich smith; Jan 27, 2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 02:50 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,853 Posts
I think I'll check Hobby city........these guys want $60 shipping for four of these lipos.....sheesh!!
Old Jan 27, 2009, 03:15 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich smith
4th down on the right. Pic and spec says 110mah but bullet says 85mah. Didn't see the error because w/dialup my pics always turned off. Either will work.

http://www.all-battery.com/polymerli...h401235-1.aspx

I only buy from HobbyCity.

Yeah, me too! They will ship it for $5 which is totally reasonable.

So now I'm back to the original question of which battery.

Is it this one?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7569

Or this one:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7567

or neither?

What is it I'm looking for here anyways? I would like to learn how to know which cell to choose. I guess I should check the forums before asking you for too much.

Cheers!
Old Jan 27, 2009, 03:48 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
I found my MSL flew with 450mah but it was too heavy and a 50mah from my PiccooZ was too light and had short flight time. Either of your 2 will work but maybe pick the one Mama Bear likes:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7568

It'll only fly a little faster than stock and you'll get much longer flights. Or your 100mah if you like slower for small field.

Quote:
Yeah, me too! They will ship it for $5 which is totally reasonable.

So now I'm back to the original question of which battery.

Is it this one?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7569

Or this one:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7567

or neither?

What is it I'm looking for here anyways? I would like to learn how to know which cell to choose. I guess I should check the forums before asking you for too much.

Cheers!