SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 11, 2003, 10:56 AM
Paris, Tx
Joined May 2002
39 Posts
Newbie to EDF - RT Models Mig 15

Well I got a good deal(free) RT models Mig 15. I have started assebemly and have some questions.

I am sure this may not be the best first EDF, but what the heck.

1. What is the fan suggested? I know what it list in the book, but thought they may be a better choice out there now as this kit is a little old.

2. Motor and ESC, what suggested?

3. battery, what do suggest?

I want good stuff, but don't want to break the bank either. As I have a Bob-e-cat to build after this.

Thanks

Donald
dneisler is offline Find More Posts by dneisler
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2003, 02:04 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
RT Mig

Sorry this took so long to get a response. I'd have figured it would have been jumped all over by now. If I'm not mistaken that is setup for a Kyosho Fan Stock and maybe CP 1300 or CP 1700 cells. Not sure of the cell count on the packs though. If thats the case you have 3 options. 1st would be to do some enlarginging of where the fan mounts and put in a Wemotec 609. But you'd want to make sure you had sufficient inlet size to match. Next much easier option would be to get the Kyosho Fan and get the 609-66 impeller for it from EAM. Basically its a 609 rotor turned to fit in a Kyosho fan housing. Third option would be to just run the Kysho fan stock with maybe a Mega 16/15/3 or a 16/15/2. 3 turn is good for 10 and higher cell counts, and 2 turn is good for 8cells. I've actually been meaning to get one of those to play with when I get the time. Also for more info you could call Mark at RT Models for info. I can tell you from experience he's a real cool guy and very helpful. Then make sure to share your build in here. I'd love to see how it goes.
Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Mar 12, 2003, 03:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
I somehow ended up with the chrome one you see in pictures. It was built, with the exception of installing wings and hooking up the controls. There was a Kyosho shroud installed already, so I took a Kontronics Fun 400-36 and put it in there. Ran it on a 7 pack of 1700 cells. It flew real nice. Dorked it off the bungee eventually.. I think gust came just as it went off the bungee and lifted the wing, I didn't correct in time.

If you don't go crazy with it in terms of weight, It would fly fine on a stock KY setup (fan and AP29L).... I'd go for 8 cells on the stock setup..... probably 1300's ... or more likely 1700's...

Paul
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 12, 2003, 05:24 PM
Ocala, Fla
Joined Mar 2002
262 Posts
Donald, the Mig pictured is a customers his set up used a kyosho fan, the new kyosho AP29L-V motor, 8 cp1700`s, greatplanes C-50 ESC,an HS-60 for the elevator and two HS-55`s in the wings for the ailerons.
Ready to fly weight was 2 lbs 13 oz, static thrust for the fan/motor was almost 1 1/2 lbs

Performance is good as stated by the builder/flyer Frank Bonanno Just watch the weight.

If I can offer any help, just ask.

Thanks,
Mark
RT Models
Mark Turner is offline Find More Posts by Mark Turner
Old Mar 12, 2003, 05:32 PM
Paris, Tx
Joined May 2002
39 Posts
well I guess by the sounds of it I am going to have to build/invest in a bungy launch as currently hand launch everything I have.

so what would a good setup be
KY fan
ap29L or is there better?

Thanks

Donald
dneisler is offline Find More Posts by dneisler
Old Mar 12, 2003, 05:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Donald,

For the money, the AP29L is the best brushed motor you can get. If you don't want to break the bank, I'd go for it. The only way to get any strong, I think, is to go brushless.

Paul
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)