HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2009, 05:57 PM
Hastings, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand (Aotearoa)
Joined Feb 2000
1,453 Posts
Build Log
Kyosho Spitfire 90

Thought I may as well document this build. Its a little different from stock as I am installing a Benedini sound system in it and of course converting to eletric.

Kit Specs:

Wingspan - 72in
Wingarea - 935 sq.in

The kit is very light for its size. All the parts weigh in at ~2.85kg (100oz) with a flying weight of about 4.5kg (158oz) marked on the box as a glow model. I estimate that mine will come in around 4.8kg if I'm lucky.

I plan on using a Plettenberg Xtra 25-12 outrunner that I picked up a few months ago on special running on 8s. Not sure on the prop yet, maybe about 20x15 2-blade if it will fit.

Heather
Heather is offline Find More Posts by Heather
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2009, 06:02 PM
Joined Feb 2000
1,453 Posts
Started on the hardest part first - the wings. These are harder as thats where the speakers are going.

The first thing I did was replace the stock CA hinges with pin hinges. There's nothing wrong with the supplied ones, I just prefer the smoother control surface movement. This involved enlarging the slot size to about 1.5mm wide. The hinges where glued in using a Polyurathane glue (Gorilla glue).

By redoing the hinges the flap sat in place much better than before.

Heather
Old Jan 23, 2009, 06:04 PM
Joined Feb 2000
1,453 Posts
I installed the Aileron Servo next. This was pretty much stock except I used a smaller servo - Hitec HS225BB Mighty Micro.

Ended up using all the supplied hardware as could not really fault it and the grey colour blend in.

Heather
Old Jan 23, 2009, 06:15 PM
Joined Feb 2000
1,453 Posts
Ok, now for the part I've been dreading.

This is when you attack a perfectly good model with a knife and saw, hoping you dont stuff up.... which of course I did. Mis-measured by about 5mm

I used a sharp scalpel and razor saw to cut out the opening. I then fabricated a mounting plate out of light ply which needed to be cut into several sections. This was then glued in place and hopefully will provide some strength to replace the material removed.

Mounting nuts where installed for the screws to have somewhere to go. I then needed to make a facia for the speaker that was thin but strong and not too heavy. I ended up using a piece of pink formica laminate that I had lying around. This cut ok using the scroll saw. Fitted to that was a metal speaker grille bought from a local electronics shop and cut down to size using the dremmell cut off wheel. (Slow proccess but effective). The grille was attached using hot melt glue.

Heather
Old Jan 23, 2009, 06:19 PM
Joined Feb 2000
1,453 Posts
I found a close match in colour paint using a Tamiya acrylic on the facia and grille.

The flap servo cover was cut down in size to fit the reduced space. I just managed to get a Hitec HS-85BB servo in there on its side to operate the flap.

Now I just wish there was a duplicator machine I could feed the wing into to produce the other half....

Heather
Old Jan 24, 2009, 09:30 AM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Nice! Is there a battery hatch build coming too?
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Jan 24, 2009, 01:55 PM
Joined Feb 2000
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Is there a battery hatch build coming too?
Not sure, probably not at this stage. I will however have an external arming plug of some sort for the main battery.

Heather
Old Jan 24, 2009, 02:35 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Interesting. Dont think ive seen someone put speakers in the wings before. Kinda hard to find somewhere else to do it though in this airframe. Good job so far.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jan 24, 2009, 02:41 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,677 Posts
Nice job Heather

I've always wanted a Spitfire this size

Subscribed.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:16 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,249 Posts
Heather, I wanted to do this Spitfire, but, some other projects came first and I didn't ever buy the kit. Now that you are doing it, I will be watching with interest.

I love the idea of a sound system in the wings, good work.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jan 25, 2009, 01:26 AM
Joined Feb 2000
1,453 Posts
I think the wings are the ideal location for the speakers as they are directing the sound downwards so more towards the audience. If mounted in the cowl as I have seen in some rotary engine aircraft the sound gets a bit muffled by the prop wash.

I just hope the wings hold together. You go to the effort of converting to electric to get rid of the noisy vibration producing combustion engine only to replace it with 40W of speakers buzzing away....

Progress will be fairly pedestrian on this one, was hoping to have it ready for our clubs annual warbirds event (Feb 7th &8th) but don't think I stand a chance.

Heather
Old Jan 25, 2009, 01:29 AM
Joined Feb 2000
1,453 Posts
The kit really is nicely made, the only real glaring omission IMHO is the lack of wing fillets which are quite a feature on the Spitfire. I may look at adding some later, but not before I've got a few flights on it.

Heather
Old Jan 25, 2009, 06:00 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,677 Posts
This chap is looking for an office, that is just the right size

leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:08 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,851 Posts
i was just given a spit 90 by Sam Wright and Tim Johnson at the AEF event. i plan to go electric, and maybe even re=paint it. the stock scheme is really nice, but i like the later spits with d-day stripes. ones things for sure...it is very light! and built very nice. i hope to start on it soon
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:39 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,249 Posts
Heather,

Why did you use Gorilla glue on the hinges, instead of epoxy? I have been afraid of using Gorilla glue on anything because it expands when drying. I'd be very interested to hear how it works on the hinges.

By the way, after seeing this thread started and some still pictures of the Spit at the Az Electric Festival, I just ordered the plane.

thanks
Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN