SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2009, 04:16 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined Nov 2004
741 Posts
Mini-HowTo
DX6i Throttle Cut Tip

If you have a DX6i radio you have by now noticed the "Throttle Cut" button. I wanted to be able to turn off the motor without pushing the button and holding it so I went to my local Radio Shack and bought a SPST micro toggle switch. I opened the transmitter case and removed the two screws that hold the button switch in place, then I cut the two plastic screw mounts away. What is left after removing the button is a nice clean hole that the micro switch fits into perfectly. Just install the switch and solder the two wires from the switch button to the micro toggle, then put the case back together. Now once you activate the throttle cut function you will have a positive "on-off" control of the motor.

I did all this in less than 15 min.
daylight99 is offline Find More Posts by daylight99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:47 PM
Joined May 2005
818 Posts
I believe you've misunderstood what the button does in the first place. All it does on my JR radio is drop the throttle signal a bit (kind of like a temporary negative trim), but only at a low throttle setting. Meaning the button either does nothing, or cuts my motor by 10% or so. I just verified this with the 6102 (the 72-MHz version of your radio) to make sure I was remembering it right (don't fly glow that often). So it's not a type of safety or anything.

Obviously on glow planes, this button just closes the throttle from idle to off momentarily, killing the motor. I don't see what you did does anything useful for electrics. You can see this without a plane by going to the mode that shows servo signal positions on your radio's display.

Maybe I'm blind but I can't find this button at all on my 7202. Course I didn't realize I couldn't find the button until I was at the field with my plane's engine started. Thought about throwing a glove at the prop, but in the end just used throttle trim. Must figure out the right way next time I fly glow...
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
Last edited by caseih; Jan 23, 2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:52 PM
That's me.
San Francisco Area, CA
Joined Jan 2008
930 Posts
I believe most radios shut it off completely. Its a safety measure to make sure that it doesn't come on when you are pre-flighting and end up having a large gash on your fingers and arm.
R/C_Addict is offline Find More Posts by R/C_Addict
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:57 PM
Joined May 2005
818 Posts
Makes sense, but like I said, none of my JR radios behave this way, including the 6102 which is the same radio as the DX6. Guess the DX6i must have a newer firmware with different function.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:18 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,935 Posts
^Time to go Hitec

The Optic 6 radios have throttle cut AND throttle lock, so it's win win Throttle cut does exactly as it says: cuts the throttle. I believe you can set just how much it cuts the throttle in the radio. I know i can with my optic 6.

A switch basically just removes the push button, however I know with my radio, if I hold the button, it just cuts the htrottle momentarily, no matter how long I hold it.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 24, 2009, 10:50 AM
Joined May 2005
818 Posts
I have learned that a simple throttle->throttle mix can make this work on the JR 6102 and 7202 as well. If you set the rate for the upper end of the throttle channel mix to -100%, leave the bottom at 0%, and set the offset to -100, this will allow you to mix out the throttle entirely at the flick of a switch. Very handy.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 04:55 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined Nov 2004
741 Posts
My mod is for the DX6i transmitter, I have no idea if this will work on the other radios talked about here. On a DX6i, the throttle cut is either off completely or on, nothing in between and as long is the toggle is in the off position and throttle remains off till its turned back on again.
daylight99 is offline Find More Posts by daylight99
Old Jan 24, 2009, 09:26 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,935 Posts
^Also, consider that soldering on something like a switch voids any warranty on the radio, so repairs you will have to pay for instead of them being covered.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..