HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Kiesling, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:05 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,322 Posts
You can see the TS contest calendar here:

http://f3k.us/page3.html

If I'm remembering right, the Charles River contest didn't get submitted prior to the contest. Of course I could be wrong about that and if the CD or somebody has an email record of trying to get it on the calendar let me know.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Last edited by rdwoebke; Nov 22, 2011 at 04:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:46 AM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
Ryan, this is the same thing that happened to the CASA contest this year. The contests followed F3K rules, were posted for many months on line with the ESL and were AMA sanctioned. They were even posted on RCG months ahead of the contest. The only piece that was missing was a post to this thread or another email sent to yet another program head.

As other threads talk about the low number of qualified pilots and so forth, I think this is a real lesson in logistics. Remember that the people that run these contests and the clubs that host them are volunteers. Many clubs hosted a TQ event LAST YEAR. Knowing that it was a two year cycle, clubs were caught flat footed this year.
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:57 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFalken View Post
The only piece that was missing was a post to this thread or another email sent to yet another program head.
Since I don't make any actual rules or decisions on the process ( I just try to admin parts of it) I would suggest you contact the TS comitee (aka Tom K) if you would like to request an adjustment be made for those 2 contests.

If I see a contest listed on rcgroups, I try to add it to the calendar. But, I just found out there is a problem with this process too because I had proactively added some contests on the calendar that don't meet the rules of the process. Those have since been removed.

Side note. I don't know how the ESL website/calendar works, but if it is Outlookey you can just copy usaf3k atty gmail diznot com and that will automagically add ESL contests to the TS calendar.

Ryan
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:08 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFalken View Post
Ryan, this is the same thing that happened to the CASA contest this year. The contests followed F3K rules, were posted for many months on line with the ESL and were AMA sanctioned. They were even posted on RCG months ahead of the contest. The only piece that was missing was a post to this thread or another email sent to yet another program head.

As other threads talk about the low number of qualified pilots and so forth, I think this is a real lesson in logistics. Remember that the people that run these contests and the clubs that host them are volunteers. Many clubs hosted a TQ event LAST YEAR. Knowing that it was a two year cycle, clubs were caught flat footed this year.
ShadowFalken makes some very good points.

In relation to the ESL contests, this past season's contest schedule and contacts are still up. http://www.flyesl.com/calendar.asp

If clubs need to submit their contests as team qualifiers by a certain date, it might be good to contact the CDs listed on the ESL site. Some of them may wish ot have their 2012 contests designated at TQ contests.

The 2012 contest schedule will be published shortly but the CDs are likely the same for 2012 or know who the CDs will be, so there is no reason to wait for the new schedule.

Just a thought.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Nov 21, 2011, 01:02 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,139 Posts
It isn't all that hard to stay informed. It isn't the committee's responsibility to make sure each CD qualifies his contest. And the committee can't be expected to monitor all the regional events and check up on them. If a CD wants his event to be a qualifier then it's HIS responsibility to make sure it complies, and it's OK to expect him to do a little research (i.e., read this thread, and/or browse the website) to keep on top of what is required. If the CD neglects to do this then the participants in his contest should inquire and ask about it. Don't just show up at an event expecting it to be a qualifier. If in doubt, just ask. Same goes for pilots that want to participate in the TS program. It's their responsibility to stay educated about it, pay their fee, etc. I think the program is working fine as is.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Nov 21, 2011, 01:05 PM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
http://www.flyesl.com/scores/default.asp This link has been removed between 1 pm today and this edit. Interesting.

This was the website for ESL last season. It is still up but there is an updated site for this year that uses the .org suffix. If you click on the calendar radio button it shows the contests. If you click on standings you can see the placements for each pilot on each day. That calendar was posted early last year and the majority of the contests were listed by March as I recall. You can even see overall rankings much like was done with the F3K tour this year but on a region basis. This year there were contests on the calendar from Mass to South Carolina.

Even though the activity this year was mixed for ESL (some contests grew and others were new) the ability to click and look is very cool. I am still getting familiar with the new site.
Last edited by ShadowFalken; Nov 21, 2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: ESL interesting timing.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 01:06 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post

Just a thought.
I will try to keep a better eye out for ESL contests that are yet to come. But, since I am also a volunteer, I would suggest that you guys also keep an eye out on the qual contest calendar to see if I have added the contests in.

Ryan
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:32 PM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
You can see the TS contest calendar here:

https://www.google.com/calendar/rend...dmTNZGhR9O_vfQ

If I'm remembering right, the Charles River contest didn't get submitted prior to the contest. Of course I could be wrong about that and if the CD or somebody has an email record of trying to get it on the calendar let me know.

Ryan
===============================================
Hi Ryan,

This is the first time that I have tried to use Google Calendar. I clicked the link that you provided, and I see a calendar, but do not see any contests. What should I do next?

Thanks,
Dave Runyon
Launch-1 is offline Find More Posts by Launch-1
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:03 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,322 Posts
Sorry, I must have botched the link.

http://f3k.us/page3.html

Is probably a better way to get there.
Last edited by rdwoebke; Nov 22, 2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: I botched it twice!
Old Nov 22, 2011, 05:20 PM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,489 Posts
Thanks Ryan, it works.
Launch-1 is offline Find More Posts by Launch-1
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:06 PM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
5,011 Posts
Ryan,

I'm easily confused. I was trying to sort out what was going on for the TS that will be held next year, 2012.

I can find a calendar that lists 2011 contests, which says at the top that it is the 2010
contest calendar, which one gets to by clicking on the , well, I don't know, I just found it somehow.

I don't know how we are naming things. What is the current cycle, which will pick a team in 2012, that has contests running in 2011 and 2012, named?

I'd think it would be named the 2012, but should it be named the 2013 (because of when the WC is run?

Confused in Arizona

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:35 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,328 Posts
Gary,

The program supposed to be named for the year the World Championship occurs. So this is the 2013 Team Selection Program.

Qualification contests from 2011 and 2012 are for the 2013 team.

Hopefully Ryan will be able to get the website updated soon.

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:00 PM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
5,011 Posts
That certainly makes sense

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:20 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,322 Posts
Sorry, Gary, the website says 2010 calendar but the calendar is a living calendar that lists the F3K team selection qualification contests. I need to update the website to change the calendar to make it say something other than 2010.

But in a nutshell, if it is in this calendar it is a qualification contest for whatever the cycle is.

Ryan
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:39 AM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
There has been a growth of about a half dozen members on the yahoo groups site in the past few days. Even with that, there are still only 169 total at this time. That means people over all soaring disciplines. I have been learning to navigate this style of board again in the past couple of days. Many polls for serious questions have less than 20 responses.

Reading through some of it has been educational. Not as easy to use as a modern forum. I do see there is a new group chat feature. Has this ever been used and are emails sent to arrange a time?