SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Kiesling, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 01:09 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
Bruce, your trip to Sweden like that is a huge benefit to the team. They should be very grateful to you for being there, and available to them without any cost to the team.. A very nice gesture on your part buddy.

Mike
I agree with Mike's statement, thanks in advance Bruce!

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2010, 01:51 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,514 Posts
It is common that wives travel with pilots and managers on F3J trips. It is also common for parents to travel with the juniors. I can easily envision Bruce as a funded team manager for the junior team. Regardless of the level of AMA funding, I would expect that team fund raising efforts in conjunction with any AMA funding should cover all expenses for six pilots, two team managers and as many helpers as the team thinks it needs. This is just based on my experience with the four previous F3J teams. The AMA funding is greatly appreciated but the team expenses go way beyond the AMA funding, and the F3X community has proved to be very generous in their support of our teams.

If you start with that mindset and quickly set up an aggressive fund raising effort modeled after the last couple of F3J team efforts, then I would think you could expect to be looking for two team managers and at least two helpers to travel with the team as fully funded members. I see Bruce as an ideal candidate for junior team manager. Helpers for F3K would, in my mind, be primarily timers for the pilots. Since Paul and Jun timed together at the team selects, I'm guessing they will time for each other at the worlds. They might want to think in terms of both of them making the flyoffs and so they should also be thinking in terms of having world class air readers and callers available on the team as helpers. I would also guess that George would want to use his brother Charlie as a timer. The obvious idea that comes to my mind would be to take Charlie Morris as one helper; and oh, let's see......who would be a really good, world class air reader and caller for the second helper? How about Tom Kiesling? Yah, that's it. You really need someone on the team with a lot of F3X team experience and Tom would be ideal in that role. That still leaves the choice of senior team manager. Mike Seid has offered his services already. I kinda like the duo of Tom Kiesling and Mike Seid. Maybe Tom should be the actual manager since his F3X team experience will be valuable at manager meetings and when/if the manager is needed to argue protests, etc. I see Tom as the most valuable timer/helper which he could still do as team manager, but perhaps Tom and Mike could work as co managers with Mike handling a lot of the team manager work but with Tom carrying the official title.

Just thinking out loud here, but I can't help myself. Maybe you guys have it all figured out already but I thought my experience with the past four F3J teams might be of service to get you guys pointed in the right direction.
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:17 PM
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Feb 2004
398 Posts
I have had similar thoughts as you Phil. TK is definitely on the list but his attendance is based on his performance in F3B. If he makes the F3B team he most likely will not be able to attend the F3K worlds.
Flyboypaul is online now Find More Posts by Flyboypaul
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:40 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,304 Posts
Team manager is definitely an important and interesting role. It takes a certian kind of skill set. TMs are the only people allowed to interact with the jury and deliver protests.

The TM position also traditionally heads the fund raising, makes sure the pilots are not getting nervous, offers stratigic advice, makes sure everybody is where they need to be when they need to be, handles travel stuff, etc. That stuff would not have to be done by a TM but often is.

You guys will have a lot of fun. I'm ready to buy some raffle tickets and some swag when that is all announced.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:25 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Barnes View Post
the F3X community has proved to be very generous in their support of our teams.

If you start with that mindset and quickly set up an aggressive fund raising effort modeled after the last couple of F3J team efforts...
I'm just waiting to find out where to send my money.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:15 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol View Post
3 days of contest rounds?!
If that's the case, then do we get one throw out day ??

walt
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Last edited by ROOSWH; Oct 14, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 06:53 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21 View Post
Kenny Sharp---> Wow dude. Night and day between the beginning of the season and the end. You win the Most Improved Pilot award. I quickly saw what the 150+ hours on those Steigs has done to your skills. You are on the right track. You are deep into expert territory now. Keep at it. I can't wait to see you at Phil’s BBQ before the IHLGF2011.
Thanks David!
I'm still not satisfied with my placement at the TS, but I certainly appreciate your remarks.
Most Improved Pilot award....nice.

And BTW, I have never been made so welcome, as I was at Poway.
You guys taught me a lot about hospitality, social programs, and proper planing.
You can be sure that I will try and always be a repeat attendee.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Oct 23, 2010, 05:12 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
Thanks David!
I'm still not satisfied with my placement at the TS, but I certainly appreciate your remarks.
Most Improved Pilot award....nice.

And BTW, I have never been made so welcome, as I was at Poway.
You guys taught me a lot about hospitality, social programs, and proper planing.
You can be sure that I will try and always be a repeat attendee.
Nice, I am glad that our efforts came through. But I also applaud you on taking up the initiative to come out and give us a try. I know I had a blast hanging out. The best part about this hobby is meeting new people and making friends all around the country/world. I look forward to hanging out with you again soon.

Later,
David
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Oct 23, 2010, 05:23 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
So, what's the word on the Team Manager position? When do we get to start "showing our support" for our F3K team?
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:18 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,711 Posts
Charlie and I paid for pics I think from Lee's parents and still don't have. If you lost our address please send A pm and we will send it to you thanks.
rcgeorge is online now Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:33 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,200 Posts
We've already chosen a TM but I guess it's up to him to announce it.
Nothing is official yet since there might still be some AMA processes to be followed.
One thing's for sure, we're all confident that he's gonna do an amazing job as a Team Manager.

Jun C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
So, what's the word on the Team Manager position? When do we get to start "showing our support" for our F3K team?
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:04 AM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,989 Posts
Just a reminder of what the weather looks like at TS

2010 USA F3K Team Selection (0 min 19 sec)
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:01 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,711 Posts
That was nice first cool weather I have flown in all year. It was also full of cool people thanks to all again.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:53 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,711 Posts
Has anyone seen our team manager still looking for one, has he gotten lost?
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:30 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,540 Posts
If I sell all the 60 shirts at blue skies 35 are accounted for- I will around 120.00 for the f3k team- not much, but it is something.

Doug
dougmontgomery is online now Find More Posts by dougmontgomery