SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Kiesling, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 04:05 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
Well in my defense I certianly know the difference.

Ryan

Yes Phil and I know you do, and your effort is appreciated.

All I think Phil was trying to do was make sure that everyone understands that there is a difference between the TS qualification and the completely independent just for fun ranking system.
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2009, 04:24 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,668 Posts
To keep excitement building, here is another item of interest and a few questions. If some folks were unaware of the f3k.us contest listing perhaps some folks are unaware that the 2011 F3K world championships has been awarded to a host country. Actually until earlier this week I was not aware that decision had been made (and perhaps I was out of the loop on that for months).

http://events.fai.org/event?i=5390&f=80

Looks like 2011 will be in Sweden. So now all of you folks that were on the list I posted last week or would like to be on that list can start to salivate about a possible trip to Sweden. Keep your game up in 2010 for the real team selection process. Make your plans for which contests you are going to attend and do well at. It just might be you that gets to represent the USA!

One question that somebody asked me a few days ago is "will F3K have a junior class". The above link and this one http://events.fai.org/calendar?id=80 seems to indicate that the 2011 world championship will be for Seniors and Juniors ala F3J. Does anyone have any confirmation of this? Will there be a team selection for a US Junior team and if so will there be a qualification process for it? Are there interested young folks in the US that will be under 18 in 2011?

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Last edited by rdwoebke; Oct 21, 2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Apparently I can't spell...
Old Oct 21, 2009, 04:33 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
Can't find Sweeden anywhere. Found Sweden though. Too many e's Ryan.

All,

There was talk early on of not actually using a quaification process for this first F3K TS contest. Is this still the intent, or is there enough attendies that we need to be weeded out this time around?

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Oct 21, 2009, 04:58 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B

All,

There was talk early on of not actually using a quaification process for this first F3K TS contest. Is this still the intent, or is there enough attendies that we need to be weeded out this time around?

Mike
As discussed previously, we are still planning on using a qualification process. Ryan's crunching of the numbers based on the limited number of contests that showed up on the F3K.us site show that there would be 34 people qualified.

With more contests on the list, I think we will end up with 40+ people qualified. The number that actually go to the TS will likely be less. So I think the system will work. Otherwise, I think it is not unreasonable to think that there will be 60 + people going to the TS. I think this is too many to be able to hold a sufficient number of rounds to select the team.

At the very least the qualification process should force clubs to be more formal with their contests and it will force people to go to more F3K events - people like you and me who did not get qualified!!!

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Oct 21, 2009, 05:08 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
So, I guess I had better get qualified then since my showing at the IHLGF was quite lack luster...

Thanks Tom

Mike
Old Oct 21, 2009, 05:29 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,668 Posts
Quote:
Tough crowd... The first post to this thread from a highly awesome soaring team member is about my spelling skills. I better up my game a bit. :0

I went and fixed the spelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling
As discussed previously, we are still planning on using a qualification process. Ryan's crunching of the numbers based on the limited number of contests that showed up on the F3K.us site show that there would be 34 people qualified.
Actually, I think it would only be 29. The 34 is from the "R word" and that included 2 people that half qualified (had a 1 day contest win but not a 2nd 1 day win). 3 of the individuals on the list are not US pilots.

Quote:
With more contests on the list, I think we will end up with 40+ people qualified. The number that actually go to the TS will likely be less.
I agree with you on this.

Quote:
At the very least the qualification process should force clubs to be more formal with their contests and it will force people to go to more F3K events - people like you and me who did not get qualified!!!
I agree and really hope the hand launch community can leverage this process/the excitement for the first ever F3K WC. The team selection's end goal might be to select the 3 best pilots to represent us in Sweden (got it right tihs time) but the entire community can really benefit too.

Ryan
Old Oct 21, 2009, 06:43 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
2,999 Posts
Quote:
Tough crowd... The first post to this thread from a highly awesome soaring team member is about my spelling skills. I better up my game a bit. :0

I went and fixed the spelling.

Actually, I think it would only be 29. The 34 is from the "R word" and that included 2 people that half qualified (had a 1 day contest win but not a 2nd 1 day win). 3 of the individuals on the list are not US pilots.

I agree with you on this.

I agree and really hope the hand launch community can leverage this process/the excitement for the first ever F3K WC. The team selection's end goal might be to select the 3 best pilots to represent us in Sweden (got it right tihs time) but the entire community can really benefit too.

Ryan

Ryan,

You are exactly right. Get excited, get positive, do something positive. Kudos to you from my garage.

BTW, Smith is just sensitive to spelling. Its all Dave Kleins fault.
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2009, 09:39 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Seid
Ryan,

You are exactly right. Get excited, get positive, do something positive. Kudos to you from my garage.

BTW, Smith is just sensitive to spelling. Its all Dave Kleins fault.
LOL.....Dude, you are seriously channeling me or something....Dave's misspells have me pretty raw....

Sorry Ryan...couldn't let that one slide, but hey, you got me to post something...nice job.

Now, just need to get qualified.

Cheers.

Mike
Old Oct 21, 2009, 09:55 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,668 Posts
Quote:

Now, just need to get qualified.
What are you going to do if you make both the B and the K team in 2010? Fly both champs?

Ryan
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:23 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Man, it takes a long time to live down a reputation.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:02 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
Quote:
What are you going to do if you make both the B and the K team in 2010? Fly both champs?

Ryan
Oh, now that would be counting chickens before they hatch there Ryan...
Lets not bring on the bad juju. One contest at a time.

Cheers.

Mike
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:25 AM
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Jul 2005
728 Posts
Ryan,

With the collection of events you've compiled, I think you can answer a question I've been wondering about for some time. Can you tell us how many individuals competed at least once this past year?

Thanks,

Gary
gjensen is online now Find More Posts by gjensen
Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:00 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,668 Posts
That I don't actually know (yet). When I mined the data a week and a half ago I only put people into my database that have been in a qualifying position. I mined this data from websites, rcgroups threads, etc by hand. That meant that at a 10 pilot contest I just entered the winner and at a contest like IHLGF (60 pilots) where I pulled the .PDF from a website I just hand keyed in the top 10. As you can imagine this takes a little time and I had to hand resolve issues like sometimes a person will be named "Mike" in one results set and "Michael" in another. Or just first name last initial will be recorded.

I want to put in data into my database for everyone and will do that but that will take a bit more time.

Ryan
Old Nov 05, 2009, 11:23 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
2,999 Posts
Wheew.

Thanks Ryan.

Your help is much appreciated!
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2009, 06:25 PM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,668 Posts
New Question

Ok since Bruce sent the petition into the AMA when is the team select site picked? Will there be a process like in "J". What time of year? Has it been determined in Mikes Garage who is going to be selected?

I really think since Bruce has gotten this rolling again we should start a little more planning.

Tom your thoughts here.

Jeff Carr
Charlotte
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n