HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Kiesling, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:52 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,201 Posts
Would be nice to have.
Sean P. provided a huge battery at the ihlgf10 that he got from an aircraft carrier and it was put to good use by many.
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:54 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
Oleg,

Will there be a dedicated charging station at the field?
Think of this as a dry run for your experience at the world champs. I guess maybe the world champs will be providing power for the contestants and maybe it won't but this will be good prep for you!

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:21 AM
Team Horizon pilot
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2005
1,217 Posts
I will have a big battery with me and I welcome all parasites.

Bruce
got2soar is offline Find More Posts by got2soar
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:39 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post
It is covered in section B.17.2 of the FAI general section
http://www.fai.org/aeromodelling/sys...Vol_ABR_10.pdf

B.17.2. Any model may only be used by one competitor during a competition.

What isn't clear is when the model needs to be processed. I think it is okay for example, if George processes three models at the beginning of the contest and saves two for backups if he needs them. If Charlie needs one of those back ups at some point during the contest he can enter it when he needs it as long as George hasn't flown it in the contest. Once Charlie flies it, George can't use that model in the contest. I'm pretty sure that this has been done at past Team Selections.

Tom
Thanks Tom,

I glanced through that publication and found some good info.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:54 AM
Wilson, NC
Joined Jun 2006
733 Posts
where is the mud?

The DESS field can take quite a lot of rain and still be OK. The south east corner is low and could be wet, but a large part of that will be out of bounds. The ground where the crops are growing will be extremely sloppy and you do not want to have to retrieve in that.

Dick
DProseus is offline Find More Posts by DProseus
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:03 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
Would be nice to have.
Sean P. provided a huge battery at the ihlgf10 that he got from an aircraft carrier and it was put to good use by many.
actually there were no less than 5 deep cycle batteries brought to the field for contestants to use. I actually had one siting down doing nothing as I couldn't find anyone that needed it.

I bet the same is true for this contest. There is a high enough percentage of folks that are driving in.

Jeff Carr, you got a spot for my alligator clips? I'll make sure to bring extra long leads.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:04 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,885 Posts
I'm not sure I see the purpose of enforcing the model rule at the TS, but that is just me. Essentially it makes it advantageous to have relatively deep pockets at this stage. Someone with only a couple of models could have a bad day, or midairs, and then not be able to fly the rest of the event. I don't see what purpose that serves at the TS. At the WC, one of course would have 5 models present to start. But of course once one has made the team, one could finish the investment in models. Or for that matter, the community would donate models if necessary to a competitor who had the skills but not the funds.

I can see that since so many questioned so many of the rules, it became necessary to follow them all.

Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:08 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,528 Posts
I agree with you GT. I am only bringing 3 models, 2 of which I want to fly, the other is a backup to a backup.

I would like the option to beg borrow and steel for parts if need be.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:17 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,514 Posts
I have two car batteries which I will bring to the contest. These will be available for anyone to use.
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Sep 28, 2010, 01:11 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T View Post
I'm not sure I see the purpose of enforcing the model rule at the TS, but that is just me. Essentially it makes it advantageous to have relatively deep pockets at this stage. Someone with only a couple of models could have a bad day, or midairs, and then not be able to fly the rest of the event. I don't see what purpose that serves at the TS. At the WC, one of course would have 5 models present to start. But of course once one has made the team, one could finish the investment in models. Or for that matter, the community would donate models if necessary to a competitor who had the skills but not the funds.

I can see that since so many questioned so many of the rules, it became necessary to follow them all.

Gerald
I agree with not enforcing it, I would think that we need to help each other out at this contest if at all possible. We will have four planes each I hope not to have trouble with any of them. People with two and have trouble would suck if bad luck with shortage of planes.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:02 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
I know this is going to come out harsh and I apologize ahead of time for it.

Way back when all this team selection stuff was being sorted out, Tom and the US FAI committee posted what they were offering as the rules we should follow for this team selection process. I forget for how long this has been offered but I know it has been for at least a good six months, if not longer.

The committee asked us to follow F3K rules for this process. Now, I see guys complaining about the rules and asking for certain CD determined things to be overlooked or dropped. For example, safety zones, number of planes, etc.

I can fully understand asking for clarification of the rules and ask the CD/jury and the FAI committee for how they will be interpreted and for a clearer explanation of the rules but to ask for certain rules to be dropped , I am not sure I agree with.

I think the intent of the US FAI committee is to produce a contest that is as similar to a world class event as possible. Asking for rules to be overlooked might not ,IMHO, produce that. If you guys want to petition the committee to be lenient, let them make the decision. If the committee chooses to change them then fine but I think we have had several months to look these rules over, get acquanted with them and make suggestions for changes by now.

I do not find it fair for those guys who were thinking ahead, buying up planes and gear in preparation for the TS event. To me, if you only have 2 planes, then that's all you have. What would happen if you fly to Sweden and some get damaged or are gone. You will have to make do. Sure a teammate may offer you one fo theirs but as a team, you will still be flying short. Why not fly this contest in the same way. SH+! happens and you cannot be prepared for everything. If you are selected for the US team and just squeaked by with so many planes, next week start placing orders for more.

The guys at DESS, US FAI committee, the CD and all the volunteers have enough on their plate without last minute rules changes and comments about changing the rules just days before the event. All I am asking is to think of them as well when you start asking for changes. These guys probably have been preparing for this weeks if not months ago. Have a heart and follow the rules as written/clarified by the powers that be. Sure, the rules can be improved. Let's not work on doing that just days before the US Team selections. Let's fly them as they are written and petition for changes later.

OK, let the Frank beating and burning at the stake begin.......
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; Sep 28, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:41 PM
PA
Joined Dec 2003
2,368 Posts
Although Frank beating and Burning may be entertaining, it is not necessary:-) Sarah takes care of that for me. Frank is right. Rules are the rules. We are trying not to stray any farther than necessary from what will be faced in Sweden. There has already been a judgement call here to allow registering of planes during the contest in order to lessen the harshness of it. If a few guys who have plenty of planes just hold one or so back from initial inspection there will be some extras floating around for unforseen circumstances.
dennymaize is offline Find More Posts by dennymaize
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:47 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,528 Posts
Under the same lines of thought, I am entering 3 complete planes. Can I bring an extra stab for one of them, so I will be registering 3.2 planes. Or to look at it another way, can I register a plane that is actually only a stab?
Last edited by djklein21; Sep 28, 2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:47 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post

OK, let the Frank beating and burning at the stake begin.......
Sounds like we need the photoshop expert who brought us Oleg Trebek to make Frank of Ark.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:50 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21 View Post
Under the same line of thoughts, I am entering 3 complete planes. Can I bring an extra stab for one of them, so I will be registering 3.2 planes. Or to look at it another way, can I register a plane that is actually only a stab?
You can enter five planes worth of parts, so I don't see any problem with having a stab registered.

Tom
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling