HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Kiesling, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 06:25 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,468 Posts
Hopefully you guys will get it all figured out before friday so we can do some flying and not have the Jeopordy of F3K rules at the pilots meeting? Please!
Oleg Trebek on Kevins computer!
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KevinSharbonda; Sep 19, 2011 at 10:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2010, 06:35 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinSharbonda View Post
Hopefully you guys will get it all figured out before friday so we can do some flying and not have the Jeopordy of F3K rules at the pilots meeting? Please!
Yep, better to clear the air here and now instead of waiting until Friday. Good point.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:10 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,468 Posts
Sorry guys, couldn't resist! No offense Ogle or anyone else. Thermals.
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2010, 09:47 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
Lets say that all you have registered is two planes. You could only used the parts that you have registered from those two planes?
Correct. Register up to 5 models BEFORE the event and use only parts from those models.
olgol is offline Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:37 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
3,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinSharbonda View Post
Oleg Trebek on Kevins computer!

this post qualifies for photoshop post of the year. sharbonda- that is hilarious. turns out, oleg is very handsome in a tux! could we being seeing the winning design for next years olegfest brochure???
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:41 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,366 Posts
I do not see anything that says you cannot register a plane to two pilots. As an example if George registered 4 for himself and I registered 4 for myself can we not register an additional aircraft for both of us as a spare? Five registered each, 9 actual aircraft.

This is a serious question as he is bringing lots I am bringing two. Can he pick his best 4 and allow me to also register one of his for me to use as a spare along with him?

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Sep 28, 2010, 03:33 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
OK....Are servos, pushrods, recievers and batteries considered "parts" off a plane?

If so, what about repair cloths and repair carbons?
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Sep 28, 2010, 03:47 AM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
I do not see anything that says you cannot register a plane to two pilots. As an example if George registered 4 for himself and I registered 4 for myself can we not register an additional aircraft for both of us as a spare? Five registered each, 9 actual aircraft.

This is a serious question as he is bringing lots I am bringing two. Can he pick his best 4 and allow me to also register one of his for me to use as a spare along with him?

Charlie
It is covered in section B.17.2 of the FAI general section
http://www.fai.org/aeromodelling/sys...Vol_ABR_10.pdf

B.17.2. Any model may only be used by one competitor during a competition.

What isn't clear is when the model needs to be processed. I think it is okay for example, if George processes three models at the beginning of the contest and saves two for backups if he needs them. If Charlie needs one of those back ups at some point during the contest he can enter it when he needs it as long as George hasn't flown it in the contest. Once Charlie flies it, George can't use that model in the contest. I'm pretty sure that this has been done at past Team Selections.

Tom
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Sep 28, 2010, 03:56 AM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
OK....Are servos, pushrods, recievers and batteries considered "parts" off a plane?

If so, what about repair cloths and repair carbons?
No, they are not. If you have a bad servo, you can replace it. You can use repair materials as needed.

There are some gray areas that I have never really heard a clear definition for. Like, can you graft part of another wing to repair a leading edge dent? How much can you graft on? If you need to replace a fin or even a stab, I don't think it is a big deal. I suppose it could be protested if you exceed your five parts worth of models. But, if you reach that point, I think you have bigger troubles.

Tom
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Sep 28, 2010, 04:02 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post
No, they are not. If you have a bad servo, you can replace it. You can use repair materials as needed.

There are some gray areas that I have never really heard a clear definition for. Like, can you graft part of another wing to repair a leading edge dent? How much can you graft on? If you need to replace a fin or even a stab, I don't think it is a big deal. I suppose it could be protested if you exceed your five parts worth of models. But, if you reach that point, I think you have bigger troubles.

Tom
Thank you very much Tom.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:29 AM
PA
Joined Dec 2003
2,334 Posts
Well boys, here's a suggestion. With all the rain and wind forecast from the SW for a couple of days we may need an airboat and a couple of training episodes of "Swamp People" for plane retrieval:-)

Tom, thanks for clarifying questions, your previous knowledge and experience are invaluable.
dennymaize is offline Find More Posts by dennymaize
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:37 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,145 Posts
Oleg,

Will there be a dedicated charging station at the field?
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:29 AM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
Oleg,

Saying that typically when we fly there the only power on the field is provided by car batteries running the sound system and people's cigarette lighters in the car, there might not be a dedicated spot. Not that I know for sure however , but if anyone is worried, I will be bringing my charger with an octopus lead that will be available to anyone who needs it and power source (my car) with an extension post set (Phil's favorite torture device lol) that anyone can hook there charger onto, it can hold approx 5 chargers at once, if they would rather use theirs
Wave Glider is online now Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wave Glider; Sep 28, 2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:32 AM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,396 Posts
Oh and it looks like some deep Carribean moisture will be thoroughly overrunning our area a few days prior to the event as Denny stated. It would be wise to pack muck boots or multiple pairs of shoes and socks! I'll be the volunteer in the knee high camo rubber boots
Wave Glider is online now Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:45 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
Oleg,

No, there will not be a dedicated charging station at the field.

We may have an extra battery that we will put out. We will be using 1 battery for the scoring computer, the printer, and the audio system. I will ask club members to bring a charged car battery if they can.
olgol is offline Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service