HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Kiesling, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 02:26 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol View Post
I am glad to see that you are reading the files and rules!

Regarding penalty - it is a separate paragraph in the rules and in the clarifications file altogether and it does say the model can only touch the pilot or his START HELPER (launcher). If it touches anybody else - 100 point penalty. For most of us since we are not using a START HELPER (launcher) this means that only the pilot can touch the model during flight.

Regarding flight time and landing - the rule is lacking clarity. It really does not matter who touches the model (pilot, helper, start helper, etc.) the time must be stopped.
Does this mean that the timer can not touch the plane at
all?
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2010, 02:32 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
Only when it is not flying, i.e. to retrieve it off field.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Sep 27, 2010, 02:33 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
Does this mean that the timer can not touch the plane at
all?
Anybody can touch it. If it happens during the flight though, the pilot gets a 100 point penalty
olgol is offline Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
Old Sep 27, 2010, 02:41 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,116 Posts
Why not include the Bruce Davidson pod cast as well if you want more soaring themed stuff to listen to as well!!!!

I know Bruce would not plug himself but eventhough I haven't listened to it, I am sure it too is jam packed with good stuff!!!

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Sep 27, 2010, 03:33 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol View Post
Anybody can touch it. If it happens during the flight though, the pilot gets a 100 point penalty
Okay, that's what I thought... thank you for the clarification.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Sep 27, 2010, 03:52 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,676 Posts
Oleg when throwing we are supposed to throw into the wind is that correct? And if you have planes checked in can you only use parts off them to fix if broken. Or are you allowed to use extra parts if you have them extra parts with you or get from other pilots?
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Sep 27, 2010, 04:08 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
And if you have planes checked in can you only use parts off them to fix if broken. Or are you allowed to use extra parts if you have them extra parts with you or get from other pilots?
5.7.2.3 of the F3K rules says that a person can only change between the 5 model gliders they have alloted. And that all interchangable parts have to be marked and can only be switched between the 5 models. This means that if you register 5 models you can't buy an elevator or a wing from somebody else and swap that out during the contest. You can swap parts amongst your 5 gliders at will though.

What is not said is when the models can be registered. AKA can a person process 2 models before the contest and then buy a model and have it processed as a third model at some point later during the contest.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Sep 27, 2010, 04:21 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,676 Posts
Lets say that all you have registered is two planes. You could only used the parts that you have registered from those two planes?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 04:24 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,077 Posts
Quote:
Lets say that all you have registered is two planes. You could only used the parts that you have registered from those two planes?
That's the question I don't know the answer to and hopefully somebody who has competed in a F3X worlds or world cup or whatever will chime in. In the FAI events I have flown you don't have to register all your models before the beginning of the contest. You can have models processed during the cotnest too. But I'm not sure how F3X stuff works because I wasn't paying attention to see if people registered models after the contest start when I flew the F3J team selection a decade ago.

Ryan
Old Sep 27, 2010, 04:32 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,676 Posts
Thanks Ryan I don,t see the big deal myself.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 05:29 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,077 Posts
It might be a big deal at a world champs and if so then it should probably be a big deal at the team selection since that is one of the most world chaps like contests that most US pilots (those that have flown in German Opens excluded) will compete in.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 05:48 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,594 Posts
Quote:
Oleg when throwing we are supposed to throw into the wind is that correct? And if you have planes checked in can you only use parts off them to fix if broken. Or are you allowed to use extra parts if you have them extra parts with you or get from other pilots?
RE: throwing into the wind.

Unless Oleg posted something specific, you can throw in any direction, anytime.

RE: Parts

FAI rules in other events state that only parts from checked-in models that are yours can be used. In past FAI worlds, my understanding is that they stamp and label each part that might be detatchable from the plane.

As I am not part of the contest, my understanding is that something like that might be done by Oleg.
Thermaln2 is offline Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old Sep 27, 2010, 05:51 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
It might be a big deal at a world champs and if so then it should probably be a big deal at the team selection since that is one of the most world chaps like contests that most US pilots (those that have flown in German Opens excluded) will compete in.
Ryan,

When I flew a German Open, they were clear to state that the Open was not following FAI rules entirely. It was the German Open, not an FAI world-type contest. There were differences, the easiest to state was that they never checked in any of our planes, nor marked them, or even do a span measurement.

Chris
Old Sep 27, 2010, 05:53 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
AKA can a person process 2 models before the contest and then buy a model and have it processed as a third model at some point later during the contest.

Ryan
I doubt that they would let you do that. But at that point, if you totalled 2 ships, you might not have enough rounds to allow you to drop a round.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 06:11 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaln2 View Post
When I flew a German Open, they were clear to state that the Open was not following FAI rules entirely. It was the German Open, not an FAI world-type contest.
You can never fully prepare yourself for what it will be like at a world champs, but you can prepare yourself some. One way is to compete in events like German Open, even if they apparently skipped some typical world champs things (model processing), there are probably other aspects of it that will be world chaps like (such as language issues). Another way might be to have somebody hold a world cup here. Is there a world cup for F3K? The most obvious and immediate way to prepare is the team selection which will probably be rather world champs like.

Ryan