Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Kiesling, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:55 AM
Joined Jul 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose E Bruzual
FAI_guy,
thanks for answering my question, and this is exactly what I was looking for
thanks again
Jose
For what it may serve, the WAG selection ranking system has been updated for 2010-11 with the following formula :

The ranking points are awarded as follows:
If the number of competitors in the selection contest is less than Nmax then R=k*N/P^X else R=k*Nmax/P^X
Where R is the number of ranking points for the competitor
k is a coefficient depending on the type of competition (1 for national, 1.2 for international)
N is the number of competitors with valid (non zero) results
Nmax is the limit (15 for F6A and F6B, 30 for F6D)
P is the placing of a competitor
X is a power factor (0.5)

The formula could be adjusted to suit any need. For example, changing the value of "X" enables to define how much advantage one wants to provide to the top places (with X=1 the ranking is linearly proportional to the placing). "k" may be used to ajust the ranking points according to the contest "value", so a contest such as the Nats with pilots from the whole US could have the highest "k", major contests such as IHLGF, Polecat or ECHLGF could have a slightly lower "k" value, and still a tad lower for local contests.

Anyway, you see the principle. It does work and can be adjusted as needed.

FAI guy
FAI_guy is offline Find More Posts by FAI_guy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2009, 10:56 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,626 Posts
How do you pick for this year?
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Aug 03, 2009, 09:43 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,051 Posts
How do we submit contest results?
Fly2High is online now Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Aug 03, 2009, 09:50 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,401 Posts
Frank,

You might not get an answer on this question for a week or so. The starter of this thread and one of the big movers/shakers in the USA FAI scene is currently in Europe competing at the F3B world championships.
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Aug 05, 2009, 12:40 AM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
2,972 Posts
Please email the contest results to seid@mkcapllc.com. i have to do a major update. In the subject line put "contest results"

Tom Kiesling is at the worlds. When he returns well complete the update to the calendar and the publish the results of the contests YTD and list the pilots who would be qualified in this preliminary year.

Well also take a look at a YTD USA F3K ranking system now that the NATs is complete.

Suggestions?
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2009, 07:50 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Seid

Suggestions?
3 part system. The CDs of all the major contests get to vote on their top 20 pilots. Preferably each week (would give us something to look forward to here on the internets). 2nd part is 6 computer algorythms programed by smart guys that feed in the results of contests and spit out rankings. Combine the 2 sets of rankings. Third part is anyone with over 5,000 posts on rcgroups gets a vote in a weekly poll. They vote on a top 20 also. Combine the 3 systems and you have the HLGCS.

Old Aug 05, 2009, 10:17 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2004
569 Posts
Ok so a little confused about all of this, so to be considered for team selection do the qualifying events/results need to be completed by a certain date? If so what is the date?
Jeff Pfeifer is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Pfeifer
Old Aug 05, 2009, 10:38 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,401 Posts
Jeff,

Check out:

http://www.f3k.us/page94.html
http://www.f3k.us/page2.html

The team selection process is planned to go on in 2010. 2009 is a sort of practice run for the criteria to see how it would shake out.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 03:07 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,720 Posts
Could someone add the 2009 Arizona Open to the contest calendar? November 7th and 8th.
Thanks,
-Dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Sep 02, 2009, 03:25 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Seid
Well also take a look at a YTD USA F3K ranking system now that the NATs is complete.

Suggestions?
Now that I have flown a contest in the f3k.us contest listing I'm excited about the ranking system. I want ot be able to confirm that I am in fact the worst hand launch pilot in the country.

Ryan
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:13 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,401 Posts
Please don't flame me...

First, disclaimers: I have no authorization by anyone to do this. I might have made a mistake. I tried my best to get the scores from various websites and copied them in many cases from a .jpg to a database. YMMV, please take everything with a grain of salt, this is meant for fun, etc. AKA please donít flame me.

I was curious to see who would have qualified for a team selection from this seasonís 13 contests listed on http://www.f3k.us/ . If there are any contests that should have been on here but are not, somebody could let me know and then I will add that to the analysis. I used the rules available here http://www.f3k.us/page2.html to try to score this.

I made a few assumptions as some of the data was a little bit unusual. I did not have round by round data for most of these events so I just assumed that each contest met the # of rounds requirements. Also there was some issues with the data for example the BASS contest was a 2 day but only Saturday results were listed on the ESL website. I just assumed those were close to the overall. I used the flyoff results wherever possible to do the standings. I also took the sportsman classification out of the equation. What this meant was if a contest like Polecat had 6 experts and 6 sportsman in the flyoffs, the sportsman only counted in the final results if they would have made the flyoffs had they been an expert. So this means that Scott Z. as a sportsman at Polecat was included in the final results. But Frank Dumas got credit for 8th place at Polecat even though he was not in the flyoffs.

Based on my analysis 34 pilots would be invited to the team selection event from this seasonís 13 contests. Here is the list:

Adam Weston
Aradhana Singh Khalsa
Arend Borst
Bruce Davidson
Buddy Roos
Charlie Morris
Chris Lee
Craig Robinson
David Klein
Dick Proseus
Doug Pike
Frank Dumas
Gary Jenson
George Morris
Gerald Taylor
Ivan MacKenzie
James Hohensee
Jeff Carr
Jim Schoon
Joe Wurts
John Kappus
Jun Catacutan
Kevin Brotherway
Larry Jolly
Michael Seid
Nathan Miller
Oleg Golovidov
Phil Barnes
Scott Zastoupil
Sean Porter
Shane Spickler
Steve Meyer
Todd Griffen
Troy Lawicki

Hope you all find this list interesting. Please nobody flame me.

Ryan
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:26 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Very interesting Ryan. What equation did you use to rank the pilots
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:43 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21
Very interesting Ryan. What equation did you use to rank the pilots
Hello David,

That is an unranked list. It is alphabetic.

The qualification criteria:

Number of pilots Who gets invited
in contest

6-10 1st
11-15 1st and 2nd
16-20 1st ,2nd ,3rd
21-25 1st-5th
26-30 1st-6th
31-35 1st-7th
35-40 1st-8th
40+ 1st-10th

Basically, if you fly a 6 person 2 day contest and come in first you get invited. If you fly 2 one day 6 person contests and come in first in both you get invited. All but 3 of the contests on the list were 2 day contests. One of those 3 was a single day contest (Portland) and BASS and the Long Island contest were 2 single day contests. My logic shows there were 2 guys that only had half of the requirements to be invited (aka they won a single day contest and then did not fly any other contests or did not place high enough in other contests).

http://www.f3k.us/page2.html

Oh, and thanks for not flaming me. I will be posting "Ryan's Ranking System" a bit later.

Ryan
Old Oct 17, 2009, 02:03 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,081 Posts
Thanks for this Ryan,

This implies that the ranking system has a chance of working.
I believe the BASS contest was rained out on Sunday.

We need to get more contests involved with the qualification process . . .

We also need to update the F3K.us site

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Oct 17, 2009, 04:10 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling

This implies that the ranking system has a chance of working.
I think it will work. I also put together a for funsys ranking using the data I mined. I'm debating if I should post that here or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling
We need to get more contests involved with the qualification process . . .
With the teal selection next year I bet more CDs will be interested in submitting their contests to the qualification process. At least you now know that the # of qualified pilots would be manageble. Had this been the list for a qualification contest this year only 29 US pilots would be eligable and you have to figure not all of them would travel to the team selection. If the system http://www.f3k.us/page2.html is implimented in 2010 I bet more contests will sign up to be a qual event and that would probably lead to more participation in the process. That I think is a good thing.

Ryan