Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Kiesling, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 05:46 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Nope, this is a pretty common thing. Bad back, pulled muscle, broken elbow.... If they say they are disabled, they are. Having someone launch for you is not an advantage (unless your launch really sucks).
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2010, 05:50 PM
Steve Meyer
Mt Pleasant, WI
Joined Jun 2005
1,178 Posts
Does Jeff have a spring wound up in that cast?
SOAR-Steve is offline Find More Posts by SOAR-Steve
Old Sep 08, 2010, 05:54 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21 View Post
.... If they say they are disabled, they are. .
If they say they are disabled and the CD agrees, they are. Sometimes it's no fun being a CD. When a perfectly fit guy shows up and asks to use designated throwers just because he happens to have a sucky launch, it's time for the CD to say no.
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Sep 08, 2010, 05:55 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Amen Brotha.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Sep 08, 2010, 06:07 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Barnes View Post
If they say they are disabled and the CD agrees, they are. Sometimes it's no fun being a CD. When a perfectly fit guy shows up and asks to use designated throwers just because he happens to have a sucky launch, it's time for the CD to say no.
Dohhh! There goes my plans!

By the way, thanks again to all that threw for me earlier this year and I will be happy to return the favor for whoever needs a launcher for a round.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Sep 08, 2010, 06:09 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,329 Posts
Is anyone accepting shipments of DLG's? Meaning can we ship them via Fedex or something to someones house that is local?

Charlie
Old Sep 08, 2010, 06:36 PM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,655 Posts
I find out tuesday the 14th if I get the cast off. I am praying it stays off. If you have ever had one dont get it in the summer time.

I was a diabled pilot at the ECHLGF and asked for an exception so Bob could throw for me. It was easier than trying to locate someone every round. It was granted and just made my life easier. poor Bob suffered with the blade on my plane. Either that or he is a wimp. But he sure was a great help to me. Talk about having to communicate. Where to throw, its not as easy as it sounds. You suffer in the close events like 5x2 as the touching inbetween becomes a factor.

Steve I will time for you if I can. We will get you taken care of. Lets make this FAI event a great one. Kudos to the Wilson guys for doing it. Gonna miss some great guys that arent going to be able to attend. You will be missed.

Jeff
Goinav8n is online now Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Sep 08, 2010, 08:34 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol View Post
I was expecting closer to 35 pilots - sadly, quite a few decided they don't want to do this, or do not have time/money
For me it was mainly the latter, but partially, the former. I just got involved in DLG last November, and had LOTS of time to practice, due to the fact that I was unemployed. Being that I've only been working since January, my bank account isn't healthy enough for me to justify traveling across the country with the dream of making the Team.

Without going into detail about all the things I need to do to get better, Incosistancy is my biggest hurdle to overcome. There are days when I can fly side-by-side with the Morris bros, and think "I'm right there... I almost got 'em!" and not be fooling myself, or sometimes actually beat them in AULD, or whatever we happen to be flying. But there aren't enough of those days, in comparison to the days where I do EVERYTHING wrong, for me to justify that trip being a worthwhile one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
Traveling accross the country is always going to be expensive from a time and $ perspective and some folks won't be able to do it. That said, for the folks that decided not to do the TS I hope this does not become your "one that got away".
Ryan
I have every intention of being a part of the next TS, barring injury or other unforseeable events. I might even be on the "short list" by then. Only time will tell.

One thing is for certain, I plan on attending a lot more events in the future. I don't see why I can't participate in at LEAST 12 events a year, between CA, AZ, NM, and CO. Heck, I might even get brave and travel to the NW, or even out east for an event or two, in the future.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Sep 08, 2010, 09:00 PM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,155 Posts
Definately travel to the NW! We have a bunch of great pilots who can help you out!

Man only a couple of weeks!

James
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old Sep 09, 2010, 07:00 AM
Nathan Miller
Peachtree City GA
Joined Apr 2007
128 Posts
Hey guys, it's true - my brother Jody will not be able to attend the TS, so I'm without a teammate. However, I am very fortunate to have my Dad time for me, he has been involved in competition soaring and FAI for many decades. I would be glad to time for Steve or any other unpaired pilot for the weekend, let me know how I can help!

Nathan Miller
thermal145 is offline Find More Posts by thermal145
Old Sep 09, 2010, 07:49 AM
Steve Meyer
Mt Pleasant, WI
Joined Jun 2005
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinav8n View Post
Steve I will time for you if I can. We will get you taken care of. Lets make this FAI event a great one. Kudos to the Wilson guys for doing it. Gonna miss some great guys that arent going to be able to attend. You will be missed.

Jeff
Glad to see that you will be there competing Jeff. Hopefully with 2 complete arms.

Just sour grapes because my 2 choices for team mates fell through. Oh well. At least I still don't have to compete against them.
SOAR-Steve is offline Find More Posts by SOAR-Steve
Old Sep 09, 2010, 09:15 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
Is anyone accepting shipments of DLG's? Meaning can we ship them via Fedex or something to someones house that is local?

Charlie
Charlie, I can accept your package. I live in Raleigh though, so will only bring it to the field on Thursday morning. If you arrive before that, you can pick up the box at my house, since you will be likely flying into RDU anyway.

If anybody else wants to do the same, you are welcome to send the box to my home address and pick it up after you arrive to RDU on Wednesday or at the field on Thursday. I can probably fit 2 boxes in my car in addition to my box and all other equipment.

E-mail me oleg.golovidov@gmail.com

We can also ask Dick Proseus or another club member to do the same. Dick also will be bringing a lot of stuff to the field in his car though.
olgol is offline Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
Old Sep 09, 2010, 10:14 AM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,151 Posts
Can anyone give me a ride from near the airport to the field on Thursday morning?
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Sep 09, 2010, 01:38 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,329 Posts
Thanks Oleg! I'll be in touch...

Charlie
Old Sep 09, 2010, 07:06 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003