HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Kiesling, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:00 AM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
2,996 Posts
Contest update!

St Louis Soaring Society
The Mississippi Valley Soaring Association (St. Louis) will be holding the MVSA 2-Day Hand Launch Contest on May 30-31, 2009.
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:01 AM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
2,996 Posts
Take a look at the sample ranking proposals, and lets open the conversation up. How should the results be ranked?
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2009, 08:13 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,608 Posts
I think either ranking system would work. On the first ranking system of points, would you say take a maximum of X events and then after that a person is having "drops"?

What about a super smart dude coming up with a neural network type solution? About 5-6 years ago in RCSD some smart dude wrote an article about a pilot ranking system. He used the Nats as his example and he concluded that Tom Keisling was the bes pilot (duh, because Tom won the thing) but had it fed into some kind of program similar to the BCS ranking software and claimed that if he had enough data he could rank pilots against each other that did not fly against each other based on how they performed against all the other pilots some of which would eventually have crossover.

I'll try to find that article this weekend and link to it. - edit - OK, so it was not that hard to find the article, I google searched and came up with an RCSD index. The article is on page 4 of the October 2003 RCSD, you can view it here: http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/pdfs/RCSD-2003/

Auther is Rense Lange.
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Last edited by rdwoebke; Mar 13, 2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: I found the article
Old Mar 22, 2009, 05:17 PM
patagonia,az
Joined Oct 2002
2,004 Posts
Blue Skies over Arizona - 4/5 April 2009

just wanted to confirm that BSoAZ is now an AMA sanctioned contest.

looks like we are registered already but let me know if not.

so all you pilots, if you want to be top of the rankings list you know where to be in April and it's a good warm-up for IHLGF later in the month

Philip
BSoAZ CD on the day
pocket rocket is offline Find More Posts by pocket rocket
Old Apr 06, 2009, 12:24 AM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,538 Posts
just a couple of questions-
1. who decides what is the best ranking system?
2. is it voted on after many ideas put forward?

I personally think there should be a designated voted in commitee members that is from the west, central and eastern regions of the US.

This commitee would represent and define all the ideas put forth in this thread.

Have to fly in a minimum number of sanctioned events- place in the top 5-10 standings per sanctioned event.

If there were too many qualified it could be broken down to a regional fly off in the 3 regions once determined.

They would nominate the preliminary Team US by a point system determined by their standings to compete in a Nationwide contest for the Final Team.

Just some ideas to toss around....thats what we are good at.

Doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
Old Apr 07, 2009, 09:03 PM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,162 Posts
Why does it have to be complex? What about having regional contests maybe west coast, central and east coast. Then have the top 5 or 10 from each contest go to a national contest where the top 3 plus alternate are decided head to head?
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old May 08, 2009, 11:11 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,608 Posts
Bump!

I think this thread needs a nudge. OK, so we have like 4 events on the F3K.us calander in the books now. There are some mini write ups and pictures on f3k.us of them (very cool). How about the ranking system? Anybody able to run the current results through the proposed calculation schemes?
Old May 12, 2009, 02:22 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Does anyone know how the world ranking works for FAI/CIAM, last year I remember seeing a list of international pilots being ranked, but is there anything published on the system used?
Jose E Bruzual is offline Find More Posts by Jose E Bruzual
Old Jun 16, 2009, 01:40 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,608 Posts
OK, so now many big contests have been held. IHLGF, 2 blueskies events, Florida, MVSA 2 day, and Pole Cat. So when are we going to have rankings? It is fun for us armchair quarterbacks.

Ryan
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:18 PM
Joined Jul 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose E Bruzual
Does anyone know how the world ranking works for FAI/CIAM, last year I remember seeing a list of international pilots being ranked, but is there anything published on the system used?
The World ranking is defined as follows (extract from WAG Newsletter # 1)
:http://www.worldairgames.org/system/...wsletter+1.pdf
Points gained by competitors at selection will be computed as follows:
points = (100 * (square root of n) / p
where n = number of competitors
p = competitorís ranking in that contest
Then :
Hand Thrown Gliders (F6D):
Final continental ranking from the best 2 contests.
Whatever the number of competitors actually at any contest, maximum value of n = 30
For the cycle started last May, the best 3 contests (instead of 2) are taken into account and the international contest K-factor has been reduced to 1.2.

FAI guy

FAI_guy is online now Find More Posts by FAI_guy
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:12 PM
COSMOPOLITAN
Joined Oct 2005
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAI_guy
Then :
Whatever the number of competitors actually at any contest, maximum value of n = 30
For the cycle started last May, the best 3 contests (instead of 2) are taken into account and the international contest K-factor has been reduced to 1.2.

FAI guy

Your message is just creating more confusion and we don't need that.

So, here we go once again : the F6D is a DEMONSTRATION CLASS (hence D for DEMO) created by the FAI to promote HLG together with the other air sports.

The only competition class for Hand Launch Gliders is F3K.

As for world ranking, unless I'm mistaken there is no such thing for F3K but the term was used for the F6D class and the WAG demo event in Torino. The closest you can come to world ranking today is to look at the results of the last German Open in Dresden end of May 2009.

Yves De Vriendt
ydevriendt is offline Find More Posts by ydevriendt
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:22 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAI_guy
Then :

FAI guy

FAI_guy,

thanks for answering my question, and this is exactly what I was looking for

thanks again

Jose
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:39 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydevriendt
Your message is just creating more confusion and we don't need that.

So, here we go once again : the F6D is a DEMONSTRATION CLASS (hence D for DEMO) created by the FAI to promote HLG together with the other air sports.

The only competition class for Hand Launch Gliders is F3K.

As for world ranking, unless I'm mistaken there is no such thing for F3K but the term was used for the F6D class and the WAG demo event in Torino. The closest you can come to world ranking today is to look at the results of the last German Open in Dresden end of May 2009.

Yves De Vriendt
In my opinion your comments are outside the scope of this discussion, as indicated in the title of this thread "USA F3K League ", where a particular ranking system is used is independent of its practicality
Last edited by Jose E Bruzual; Jun 21, 2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 01:57 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,608 Posts
Yves,

FAI Guy was just responding to a question asked by Jose, just 2 posts above his reply....

So what do you guys think? The idea behind a US ranking system dead? Seems like it had some level of support, based on the results of the poll on the f3k.us website... About 75% were either strongly in favor or in favor of it.

I'd be glad to do some number crunching if I can get my hands on the scores. I'd put it into a formula for the F6D system, one of the systems suggested on the f3k.us website, and perhaps using LSF points system.

Ryan
Old Jun 26, 2009, 08:42 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,608 Posts
F3K Rocks!

I flew my first F3K contest today:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1070851

Good stuff. I'm really glad we are doing this F3K thing it is a lot of fun.

Ryan