SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Kiesling, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 02, 2010, 12:13 AM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,195 Posts
Sounds like the NW! Too bad we did not put in a bid...this year....
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2010, 05:24 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,521 Posts
Oh my goodness, according to http://www.southtravels.com/europe/sweden/weather.html, Sweedish weather sounds similar to, but perhaps a bit cooler than NY.

Weather and Climate in Sweden

The best time for most visitors is May-September, when the days are warm enough to spend time outdoors. Even in summer, take along a sweater and medium-weight jacket. (July temperatures range 60-80 F/16-27 C.)

In winter, when the temperature in Stockholm hovers around freezing, you will want heavy-duty cold-weather gear. Don't forget an umbrella and a raincoat for the frequent drizzle.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jun 02, 2010, 08:48 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
considering the lack of bids
There have been times that begging has had to happen to get team selections going. Obviously not for hand launch since this is the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here... wouldn't it be best for strength of the US team to have the TS event somewhere that had similar conditions as Sweden? (Not that I want to fly in wind/rain/snow, etc.)
I have been to Stockhom in July. Assuming I google mapped the town of the champs properly I don't think snow will be an issue. Light jackets might be neccesary at times. Or it might be shorts weather.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:18 AM
Steve Meyer
Mt Pleasant, WI
Joined Jun 2005
1,185 Posts
Sweden is in Wisconsin

Well at least Stockholm is.

Also..
The Sweden American Club in Kenosha, Wisconsin
and Little Sweden Resort in Fish Creek, Wisconsin

People with Swedish heritage are mainly concentrated in Northwest Wisconsin and Minnesota. I would guess that the climate must be similar.

Chicago area would be a bit warmer but at times even cooler then up nort.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Swedish1346.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish..._United_States
SOAR-Steve is offline Find More Posts by SOAR-Steve
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:43 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOAR-Steve View Post
Well at least Stockholm is.

Also..
The Sweden American Club in Kenosha, Wisconsin
and Little Sweden Resort in Fish Creek, Wisconsin

People with Swedish heritage are mainly concentrated in Northwest Wisconsin and Minnesota. I would guess that the climate must be similar.

There are a few of us here in NY too.
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:58 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,738 Posts
We were just discussing this the other day. It's going to be interesting to see some of the dry weather guys at the Bruce this year during the rainy season... since the humidity is almost guaranteed to be near 100%.

I think the best pilots generally rise to the top regardless of the climate that particular day.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Jun 02, 2010, 11:03 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,117 Posts
Those who will be US team members, I think I recall reading that in Sweden they will have nearly 24 hours of daylight in July!!

Start leaving the lights on at night for practice!!

I think this would kill most of us. I don't know about you but I cannot sleep whenit is bright out. Farmer's son I guess.......
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jun 02, 2010, 11:13 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
Those who will be US team members, I think I recall reading that in Sweden they will have nearly 24 hours of daylight in July!!
Frank,

Sweden (and Norway and Finland) is a very tall country. If I Google mapped the location of the 2011 worlds right, the contest will be about an hour west of Stockholm. This is in the southern part of Sweden and although there will be lots of daylight, not quite 24 hours worth. Now if it is in the northern part of the country then definitely it will be effectivly constant daylight.

There will probably be daylight from some time before 4 AM until sometime after 10 PM if I have the location right. I was once in northern Norway and the sun did not ever set there, at least not that I saw. Very surreal walking out of a bar at 2 AM and it to seem like it is the afternoon.

Ryan
Old Jun 02, 2010, 11:17 AM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,900 Posts
I was just in Stockholm last week, and was awakened at dawn by a bird singing outside my window at 3AM

Dave
David Forbes is offline Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Jun 02, 2010, 11:22 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,117 Posts
Well I guess no one will use the excuse that they didn't have enough daylight in which to practice before the world event!

LOL.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jun 02, 2010, 11:11 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
I don't think snow will be an issue. Ryan
Not in Sweden, but if the TS is in NY in December, it sure might. Despite the fact that I've qualified for the TS, I highly doubt I'll be going to Sweden, even though it is my "homeland", so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOAR-Steve View Post

Some of us have moved from the Chicago-land area to the great southwest. But yes, my great-great Grandpa Aldolf William Carlsson, from Sweden, was headed to Ortonville, MN when he died. Oddly enough, my bestest buddy grew up in Ortonville, which I had never heard of until my dad made the connection.

Probandus
Adolf William Carlsson. Farmer.. Born twin 1869-10-08 in Klintfallet, Tjällmo (E), Sweden. Klintfallet was a crofter´s holding belonging to the estate Tylö, in the north of Östergötland. Died 1936-06-08 in Lac Qui Parle County, Minnesota, USA. Emigrated 1889 19/7 from Gothenburg, Sweden with destination Ortonville, Minnesota.
Married 1894 12/6 in USA to Augusta Sophia Johnson, b. 1870 5/3 in Hammar (T) Sweden.
Settled in Big Stone County, Minnesota and then in Roberts County, South Dakota.
At Adolf's dead the famile lived in Clinton, Minnesota. (Father 1, p 5, Mother 2, p 6)
Married 1894-06-12 to Augusta Sophia Axelsdotter-Johnson. Born 1870-03-05 in Sörgård, Norra Kärra, Hammar, (T) Sweden . Died 1961-10-03 in Big Stone County, MN, USA. Buried 1961 in Clinton, Minnesota. Moved 1887-11-03 from Tjällmo (E) to Ljusfall, Hällestad (E). Moved 1888-10-29 from Ljusfall, Hällestad to Risinge (E). Moved 1890-11-25 from Risinge (E) to Stugun, Jämtland (Z). Moved together with her son Elias Alexander. 1893-08-01 from Stugun (Z) to North America.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jun 03, 2010, 09:17 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Not in Sweden, but if the TS is in NY in December, it sure might.
It seems unlikely to me the team selection would bein December in New York. But, I guess it could be, however unlikely, and if it were then yes, snow could be a possibility.

Much more likely is that somebody will host the team selection sometime in September or October. Snow could be a possibility then too I guess.

Ryan
Old Jun 03, 2010, 11:25 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,521 Posts
The proposed date is Team Selection in NY in September, not December. Where did December come from?
Old Jun 03, 2010, 11:34 AM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,278 Posts
The team selection date and location has not been decided yet. There are three proposals that I know of so far and they are all in the September/October time frame.

We hope to have the winning bid announced in the next week or so.

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Jun 03, 2010, 11:53 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
The proposed date is Team Selection in NY in September, not December. Where did December come from?
Tim threw out the December thing. I think it was supposed to be a joke.

Now my joke. Isn't New York a pretty big state? Although I guess unlikely, could the possibility exist that a New York club in addition to LISF would submit a bid? Maybe some upstate club has submitted a bid for December and Tim is in the know on that.

Ryan