HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Kiesling, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 10:31 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
34 pilots by last year's estimates so even if you double that, etc. to say 70, that would be 8 - 12 per group with up to 6 groups per round. That would be about 12 pilots/group x 100' X 100' = 120000 sq ft for a landing field of about 300' x 400' (or 600 x 200, etc.). I think any field in current use could then qualify to be used even with these extremely exaggerated numbers. It is HIGHLy unlikely that there will be 70 qualified pilots in atendance. I would LOVE to see 70+ be eligible but, like you said, not that many will be able to attend. If I could have my wish, I would love to see all who qualified, attend. these guys deserve the opportunity!!

I hope this will make more clubs post the offer to host team selections. 300 x 400 (600 x 200, etc.) is not that much room. I think most fields have this already.

Guys, send in your desire to host!!
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2010, 10:34 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21 View Post
I would venture to guess that we see about 50 pilots qualify and 40 pilots attend the US team selections, flying 25 to 30 rounds to determine the top 3.
So we would have 3 days of 8 rounds per day plus fly-offs?

So to get 8 rounds in a day flying from 8-5 plus lunch, that would be about 1 round an hour leaving about 4 groups per round (roughly). That equates to about 12 guys per group. My estimates on size may not be too far off.

thanks djklein for your suggestion.....
Old Feb 09, 2010, 10:43 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
I don't think there will be a flyoff.

Also, as far as field size goes, it doesn't matter how many or how few attend, the group size should be around 10 pilots. More pilots just means more groups. I should hope to see about 25 rounds to decide the top 3.

There is no need of a flyoff, because the quality of pilots will be very high. There will not be any easy flight groups. And with the large number of rounds, a flyoff would actually make it less fair. The only reason to ever have a flyoff, is to reduce the effect of getting a lucky draw in the flight matrix.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Feb 09, 2010, 10:48 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
Will we have round dropping during team selections?

Will there be a requirement to have official timerkeepers?

I can see this being a breakingpoint for many clubs to host the event. It may be hard to come up with 8-12 guys to do timkeeping all day.

Is there software to do round dropping for 20+ rounds available to do the scoring?

Will the US group decide if a flyoff be done or is it at the CD's discression?
Old Feb 09, 2010, 10:52 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
Will there be a requirement to have official timerkeepers?
In an earlier post in this thread Tom said that he thought official time keepers would be nice but realistically expected it would be very tough for clubs to have enough of them. He indicated a compromise where there would be some official timers that would randomly and secretly time a pilot from the sidelines would be something of interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
Will the US group decide if a flyoff be done or is it at the CD's discression?
Well, you can ask how it was done at the F3J team selection your club hosted or contact say RMSA to see how things were decided for this past summer's F3J selection. I think it will probably be largely influenced by the decision of the FAI team selection comittee how things are handled.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Feb 09, 2010, 11:41 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
The decision for # of rounds and flyoffs or not should be in the clubs bid to the FAI TS committee. The TS committee will decide what bid to go with.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:20 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,263 Posts
ECHLGF-2010 will be the last qualification event of this year unless somebody else runs an event on the last weekend of August. Ryan added us to the calendar already (thanks): http://www.f3k.us/page3.html and promised to add us to the list on the front page...

We (DESS club in Wilson, NC) are also considering a bid for hosting the USA Team Selections. We would love to hear your thoughts about this. If there are other clubs that are considering the same, please speak up so we can either coordinate or withdraw before starting a fight
olgol is offline Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:30 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Oleg, as a pilot, I am really happy your club is planning to submit a bid. I have heard wonderful things about your club and its current contest. I hope a few clubs consider bidding for the contest, so that the entire package can be evaluated and the best bid selected.

A little competition is not a bad thing.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:20 PM
2013 US F3K Team Manager
Newbury Park, CA
Joined May 2005
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post
That is a good question. I'm inclined to count the international pilots like any other pilot. Otherwise I think it gets too complicated. For example, say one of the international pilots cleans up in a group. Say he gets a 1000 and the next closest US competitor gets a 500. Do we do a special normalization for that case so the US pilot gets a 1000?
I agree that special normalization is ridiculous and unneeded. Final placing is final placing.

Quote:
I know personally I would not feel like I was qualified if I placed 13th in a 40+ person contest but got in because three international pilots beat me . . .

What do you guys think?

Tom
Tom, what if you placed 13th at a 70+ person contest where 3 international pilots beat you? Would you not feel qualified then? (take a close look at who's coming to The Bruce)

-l
dlgdude is offline Find More Posts by dlgdude
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:39 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,355 Posts
Lol, if a bunch of international guys put the whup on me then why do I care if I get on the team?

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:12 AM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgdude View Post
I agree that special normalization is ridiculous and unneeded. Final placing is final placing.

Tom, what if you placed 13th at a 70+ person contest where 3 international pilots beat you? Would you not feel qualified then? (take a close look at who's coming to The Bruce)

-l
Nope, at least not at that contest . . .
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:21 AM
Steve Meyer
Mt Pleasant, WI
Joined Jun 2005
1,182 Posts
I looked and looked and cannot find the dates for, deadline for submitting Team Selection host bids and when the Team Selection host will be decided.

Just trying to plan my contest strategy.
SOAR-Steve is offline Find More Posts by SOAR-Steve
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:58 AM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,152 Posts
The formal requests for hosts has not been sent out yet. . .
I will have this sent out soon.

Tom
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:37 PM
2013 US F3K Team Manager
Newbury Park, CA
Joined May 2005
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
Lol, if a bunch of international guys put the whup on me then why do I care if I get on the team?

Charlie
By that logic, anyone that finishes below an international pilot should not have his placing apply to team selection qualification.

Is that OK with you DK? Tom? Is it fair?

-l
dlgdude is offline Find More Posts by dlgdude
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:41 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,136 Posts
Would be nice to consider the TS venue to be in the middle of the country. Just to be fair, I guess. Tickets are expensive!

Jun C.
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats