HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Kiesling, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 06:43 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,080 Posts
What about for the next round of team selections, opening the qualifying season to Sept of prior year -> August of year for team selections?

I know nothing can be done for this year.

(no charge for the activity on this thread )
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:03 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayH View Post

I'm sorry , but it was your original idea to limit the number of contest that other clubs were scheduling because your club couldn't afford to have as many qualifying events. In fact, you said - limit 1 qualifier per club. So which is it - more events in as many places as possible or limit the number of events in each location? You know sometimes people have scheduling conflicts and maybe they need a choice of several qualifiers to be able to attend one in their area. I say we have as many qualifiers as possible, give everyone who wants to go to the team select multiple opportunities to earn a qualifying spot, and have the biggest, best F3K event ever in the US.

BTW, we've plans to put on 2 more qualifiers this year - your welcome to attend Frank.

Clay

I will repeat again that I do not care how many my club can have. It was merely an example. I am sure If we wanted to have more, we would.

All I was suggesting was limiting a selection for qualifiers to one contest per club.

Why? so there can be more LOCATIONS that have qualifiers.

How many clubs across the US are there? I do not know but I am sure they are not all on the East nor West coast. Only for the last few years have I heard about the Blue Skies tour. On the East coast there was talk of possibly a Conneticutt contest in years past and now this past year we have added a contest in Delaware. Bruce added a contest in Kentucky. I love hearing about more new places being added. It increases exposure. It also changes venue and that only increases our skills.

Why limit have moe than one at a given venue? The more venues only strengthens our team.

I am only desiring what's best for our team.

I'll drop my suggestion. If more venues are available, I guess they will just have them.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:13 AM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
What about for the next round of team selections, opening the qualifying season to Sept of prior year -> August of year for team selections?
I like this idea at first glance. I have not thought through all of the logistics and possible unintended consequences of implementing the idea so I'll withhold my final opinion until hearing what others have to say.
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:27 AM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,506 Posts
Quote:
I will repeat again that I do not care how many my club can have. It was merely an example. I am sure If we wanted to have more, we would.

All I was suggesting was limiting a selection for qualifiers to one contest per club.

Why? so there can be more LOCATIONS that have qualifiers.
I think you are desperately trying to solve a problem that does not exist. The bits of your post that I quote above pretty well sum it up for me. Any club wishing to host a qualifying contest may do so and may do so as often as they like. The act of hosting multiple qualifying contests in one location does not stop qualifying contests from being hosted elsewhere. Perhaps your idea can be revisited if someone, somewhere in the country pops up that in some way feels disadvantaged by the current system.

I feel as though the current system has had exactly the effect that was envisioned by Tom Kiesling from the very beginning. From the first post in this thread;
Quote:
The objectives of the league are to:

Enhance the F3K contest organization and increase contest attendance in the USA.
Increase awareness of new and existing hand launch pilots about F3K contest activity in the USA.
Provide a coordinated contest calendar for F3K contests nationwide.
Serve as the main organizing body for the USA team selection process to be implemented in 2010
Establish and continuously improve the process of selecting the USA team for F3K World Championship.
Provide a simple but consistent way for any pilot to qualify for the Team Selection Finals.
I have seen a lot of new interest in existing F3K contests and many new contests popping up. This new interest and excitement appears to me to be largely due to the team selection qualifier concept. Perhaps you too have noticed all the references in new contest announcements referring to team selection qualifier status. Also you may have noticed all the jockeying for calendar dates to have contests within the team selection qualifier time frame.

This all looks very good to me and my bottom line is; "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:44 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,606 Posts
Quote:

There has been quite a bit of talk about doing it that way for the 2012 team selection. I think extending the qualifying period might kind of take the wind out of the excitement of this thing but then as you point out it would not negativly effect the hand launch "season" and that is way more important.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:48 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayH View Post

BTW, we've plans to put on 2 more qualifiers this year - your welcome to attend Frank.
As a friendly reminder, TS qualification events need to be on the calander at least a month before the date of the contest. So if you are planning any March contests better get that registered soon.

Ryan
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:50 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,080 Posts
Again guys, thanks for the feedback. thank you Clay, Ryan Phil and all the guys who have responded to my questions and suggestions.

the reason for my insanity stems from the fact that I recently had discussions with AMA as to why the contest I CD had its class changed from A to C without my request. I later found out that it should have been a class A contest. Nevertheless, in researching all this I found that sanctioning limits within a certain distance who else can have a contest for each class level. I only wanted to have as many contests in as many locations as possible and to give everyone a chance to host one.

Thanks again guys for your input. It is much appreciated. I am also hoping that it may bring more guys to come to the DLG contests.

I hope that in the future we can open up the selection for qualifier contest date range so that more of the calendar can be utilized.

MORE DLG IS ALWAYS BETTER!!!

Thanks again to everyone.

Sincerely and with much appreciation,

Frank
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:52 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,606 Posts
Quote:

How many clubs across the US are there?
It is not a perfect list, but this gives you a pretty good idea:

http://www.rcsoaring.com/clubs.shtml

Some of these clubs are probably no longer active. Lots of these clubs probably don't have much hand launch action.

Any club that wants to host a TS qual event should!

Ryan
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:54 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,606 Posts
Quote:
I know when my club hosted the F3J team selections it helped get out exposure and brought many guys from all over to our field.
Shortly Tom is going to need bids for the 2010 F3K team selection event. Long Island would be a great place....

Ryan
Old Feb 09, 2010, 08:00 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,080 Posts
I have been proposing it to the club but I have not seen enough interest yet. I hope to have them possibly vote on allowing us to offer our field at the next meeting on the 18th.

LISF is a great club and can pull anything off it sets its mind to. I am lucky to be apart of such a great club.
Last edited by Fly2High; Feb 09, 2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 08:12 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,080 Posts
What are the current set of locations offering to host team selection(to pick the final 3 + alt)?

I would expect that top contest locations would (I am sure I will miss many but N.C., Ca, Blue Skies, etc.) would make good locations for it.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 08:14 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,606 Posts
Quote:
What are the current set of locations offering to host team selection(to pick the final 3 + alt)?
Nobody has said anything in a public forum. Long Island could be the first to speak up.

Ryan
Old Feb 09, 2010, 09:45 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,080 Posts
Since we are on the topic of a location for team selection, how many pilots is anticipated that will attend the event?

Also, since you need ~ 100ft x 100 ft (approx 30M x 30M) per pilot in a group, how large of a field will be required to host team selections?

How many rounds will be done before the flyoffs (I am assuming there will be 6 flyoff rounds)?

Will all of this be CD or F3K USA determined (pertaining to number of rounds)?

Frank

I know LISF would be honored to host it but I would feel that there are so many other venues with far more on their resume that I do not think we would have a chance. I will still honor the decision of the club if they so choose to throw our name in the hat and personally would love to have another team selection occur at our field! I will say that having the F3J on 4th of July weekend in 102+ degree heat sure was fun!!! We were sweating but having the time of our lives!!!
Last edited by Fly2High; Feb 09, 2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 10:13 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,606 Posts
Quote:
Since we are on the topic of a location for team selection, how many pilots is anticipated that will attend the event?
Nobody knows the answer to that for sure. Using last year's qualification "dry run" about 34 pilots qualified. Of those at least 2 are not US residents. Would all 32 have attended the team selection? Tough to know for sure. In 2010 there are more contests that are registering. I would expect the 34 number to increase. How many that translates to that are willing to actually travel to a team selection is anyone's guess.

Quote:
I will say that haveing the F3J on 4th of July weekend in 102+ degree heat sure was fun!!!

Yes, it was a lot of fun. It was my only real trip to New York and although I did not see any real NYC stuff your field was a nice site to see.

Ryan
Old Feb 09, 2010, 10:21 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
I would venture to guess that we see about 50 pilots qualify and 40 pilots attend the US team selections, flying 25 to 30 rounds to determine the top 3.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21