HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by winchdoc, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:42 AM
I want to believe...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,499 Posts
Discussion
machine tool repair project

I got to use my machinist powers yesterday to make a spare part for my CNC mill.

This machine has a robotic arm to automatically change tools. Not a big deal in the world of industrial CNC stuff, but pretty schweet for a garage toy.

There is this piece that serves double duty as a ramp to actuate the tool grabber fingers, and it also mounts the coolant ring onto the machine.

It broke.
It broke a long time ago, probably due to a Z-axis crash by the previous owner. I kinda knew about it but just ignored it.

I was cleaning out the coolant ring the other day (full of nasty stuff, ick)and I re-discovered the broken part.
The dilemma here was that by taking apart the tool change assembly, I could still run the machine, but no tool changes could be made in automatic mode.

So I took the broken part, and measured it, made a quick sketch, and made a replacement using the jog mode and DRO position readouts, much like you would do on a Bridgeport.

Pretty satisfying to be able to make repair parts for a machine on that same machine!
winchdoc is online now Find More Posts by winchdoc
Last edited by winchdoc; Jan 22, 2009 at 05:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2009, 05:25 AM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Sweden: Ystad
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
"Garage toy"... Jealousy knows no bounds!!
Sensiblenick is offline Find More Posts by Sensiblenick
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:18 PM
Charlotte, NC - USA
Joined May 2004
209 Posts
VMC Tool Changer repair

I was just looking at the pictures of the repair job you did for the tool gripper relase on the spindle nose. Is the machine a 5VC-750 or 7VC-750.

I worked for Milacron for almose 20 years. In the 70's and most of the 80's I was in Field Service. The machines were built at Heald in Worcester MA. I wrote the service manual. The machine is old for todays standards but is was a sweet machine in it's day. Cool for a home shop toy.
AirFoiled is offline Find More Posts by AirFoiled