HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by gtfreeflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 09:19 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfreeflyer View Post
Vic, I agree with each and every one of your comments above. This is one of the poorest ARF's, but guess what... It will fly like one of your best.
Thanks GT, I did not think I was alone in my assessment of this ARF. I had a NitroPlanes OV-10 Bronco (my first electric) that was just as bad for quality, but it flew very well. It seems like this will be a repeat - poor quality, great flyer.
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:26 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,203 Posts
Well, when I sent in photos of the crack cowl, the folks at Richmond RC replied with:

We don't think we will be able to meet your expectations for this model - you can return it for a full refund within 10 days

I guess I have to live with any other problems I find with this ARF.

Other than fiberglass, is there any way to repair the cracked plastic cowls?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:30 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,339 Posts
There sure is... scotch tape.
I had to do this on my first Otter because I cracked it before the maiden. What a bummer it is!
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Old Jul 01, 2010, 04:01 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,203 Posts
Cowl Repairs

I purchased a Fiberglass Repair Kit from Walmart and will experiment with beafing up the flimsy plastic cowls with fiberglass. I hope the resin does not destroy the cheap plastic. I'l do a test run on a small part of the cowl before applying the resin to the entire cowl. Hope it holds up.
Old Jul 02, 2010, 05:24 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,339 Posts
Here's an idea I've been toying around with. I still need to figure out better shaft support locations, add bearings, and a whole lot more. The only reason I want the gears, rather than direct drive, is so that I gan get a more realistic sound. Chances of stripping the gears due to a prop strike are real low on this plane. You'd have to be pretty talented to have a prop strike. Comments?
Old Jul 05, 2010, 05:47 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,203 Posts
What a poor design!

The more I build on this plane the worst it gets. I installed the tail feathers and found the entire assembly to be very flimsy. First, they built the horizontal stabilizer so light that it flexes up and down like a butterfly. It is worst than my foamy that has a carbon fiber leading edge. I'm surprised it does not fold/snap when you apply elevator. It will certainly be prone to "hanger rash" damage on transporting to and from the field.

Secondly, there is no plug to fill the slot in the vertical stabilizer that the horizontal stab slides through. On top of that, the rudder is only attached to the upper portion of the vertical stab above the gap. Since the rudder push rod attaches to the bottom of the rudder, the vertical stab flexes above the gap when rudder is applied.

I can't beef up the horizontal stab without a rebuild so will just hope for the best and fly with low rates on the elevator. However, I did insert a balsa plug in the slot in the vertical stab and put a CA hinge at the very bottom of the rudder to connect it to the fuse.

This plane is an engineering disaster. I am not looking for a plane built like a tank but this is built like a tissue paper glider. This plane should sell for $49.95 and not a penny more.
Old Jul 05, 2010, 07:36 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,339 Posts
Vic, again, I completely agree with you. The $49.95 price tag sounds good too! But again, just wait 'til you get it up in the air. It will fly just fine. The H-stab holds up great even though I think a 5 year old designed it. About the rudder, just like I told you before, don't trust any of the hinges. I redid all the hinging for all the control surfaces. If this plane flew faster than it does, then the H-stab and most other deisng features of this ARF would probably fail. However, the plane flies slow and gentle, and you have to ensure that you fly it that way! If you want to do some tricks, land and then takeoff with another plane. I was able to do rolls, but they are slow and just don't look right with this plane anyway. How much longer 'til you maiden? I'm waiting!
Old Jul 06, 2010, 10:29 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,203 Posts
GT, I am sure you are right about how it flies -slow and gentle. And you are right, this is not an aerobatic plane so pilots should not attempt high G maneuvers with it. However, wing gust result in unexpected forces on control surfaces so they should be built to withstand a little stress.

I don't know when I will maiden the plane. At my present rate of building and doing upgrades, It will be another week or so.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 01:55 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic View Post

I don't know when I will maiden the plane. At my present rate of building and doing upgrades, It will be another week or so.
Better than me! I haven't even installed the nacelles onto the wing yet. I've been so involved with flying and maintaining my helis, and I also have a big project going with my Corsair... and not to mention we have a newborn in the house. I'll get the Otter going (again) eventually. I can't wait to get more people on the buddy box. What a treat it would be for newbies to fly such a good looking plane, other than the fact that it looks like someone pissed on it, lol!
Old Jul 06, 2010, 03:01 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,203 Posts
Quote:
What a treat it would be for newbies to fly such a good looking plane, other than the fact that it looks like someone pissed on it, lol!
If I still had the WHITE British Airways version, I would have sent it back for the full refund they offered me. I think the YELLOW version does LOOK good (at a distance). Looking forward to flying it....
Old Jul 06, 2010, 09:14 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,203 Posts
Stabilizer Mod

Here is a photo of the plug I put in the vertical stab. I also inserted a CA Hinge at the very bottom of the rudder.
Old Jul 07, 2010, 09:12 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,203 Posts
I want to make a little progress each night. Last night I installed the aileron servos and the strut support. Tonight, I installed the landing gear. As not to disappoint anyone, I have some comments on the landing gear.

The nose wheel gear is made of soft metal - not spring steel. It will most likely bend on landings and require straightening on each landing. the mains are attached with very small screws - but better the screws pull out instead of fuse damage. I often use nylon bolts on larger planes to allow the gear to tear away on hard landings without fuse damage.

I will probably install the motors next...
Old Jul 07, 2010, 10:52 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,339 Posts
Yeah, I had to rebend the nose strut every few flights. I was able to have the perfect landing each and every time, but I flew off a dirt field that put enough drag on the nose wheel to bend the strut. I never had any problems with the main gear. You should put some bigger wheels on the mains. It looks sweet. I can't imagine that you would put a plug in the rudder to make it look more scale, but not buy larger main wheels, lol.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 09:36 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I had to rebend the nose strut every few flights. I was able to have the perfect landing each and every time, but I flew off a dirt field that put enough drag on the nose wheel to bend the strut. I never had any problems with the main gear. You should put some bigger wheels on the mains. It looks sweet. I can't imagine that you would put a plug in the rudder to make it look more scale, but not buy larger main wheels, lol.
I put the plug in the stabilizer for strength - not looks. I do have some bigger wheels that I might use - I just put the stock ones one to see how the plane looked on the gear.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 02:54 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,339 Posts
Vic, you are making me get Otter fever again. I may just have to get to work on Otter #2 this weekend, lol.

By the way, where are you located?