SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by gtfreeflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 07:53 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jun 2009
270 Posts
T Otter on Floats

paulbw ,
I see you are going with 32" floats for your Otter. The length to Fuse measurement that I found on the web said 80% from nose to rudder hinge line. I just ordered the VMar 35" floats for mine. Just wondering if I may have goofed???? I guess they will work fine anyway. I would like to see more photos on how you set up the struts and water rudder if possible.

Thanks!

Scott
Concord, NC
scottd9990 is offline Find More Posts by scottd9990
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:05 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jun 2009
270 Posts
T Otter on Floats

Here is what I want mine to look like:

I guess I can't figure out how to post a dang photo here.
scottd9990 is offline Find More Posts by scottd9990
Last edited by scottd9990; Apr 22, 2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: photo problems
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:29 AM
Gloucestershire, UK.
Joined May 2006
1,228 Posts
Hi Scott,
I am in the process of making up the strut/attachments, so no pictures as yet.
As to float length, I haven't seen the product, but length-wise the VMAR floats should be just fine - arrange them with the step just a little aft of the Cof G.
I designed my floats as a learning exercise in CAD. With both their correct operation and weight in mind, I thought 32" would be the minimum I could employ. I hope they'll perform as required!
I hope GTFreeFlyer will not mind our conversing on his blog!
Paul W.
paulbw is offline Find More Posts by paulbw
Old May 15, 2010, 01:45 AM
Birchleigh, South Africa
Joined Apr 2007
49 Posts
Full body pilots

Hi

Does someone know where I can find pilots with a full body - legs, arms, etc. that will fit in the TO?

Hennie
hethjo is offline Find More Posts by hethjo
Old May 15, 2010, 12:15 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,535 Posts
I've looked all over for pilots. Let me know when you find them. I have been looking for a matching pair, like Mickey and Minnie, or Tom and Jerry, etc. I saw some Simpsons characters that were close to the right size, but they were way too heavy. I like to add cartoon personalities to my planes.
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Old Jun 07, 2010, 05:07 PM
Slipping the surly bonds...
Elizabethton, TN
Joined Jan 2003
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd9990 View Post
paulbw ,
I see you are going with 32" floats for your Otter. The length to Fuse measurement that I found on the web said 80% from nose to rudder hinge line. I just ordered the VMar 35" floats for mine. Just wondering if I may have goofed???? I guess they will work fine anyway. I would like to see more photos on how you set up the struts and water rudder if possible.

Thanks!

Scott
Concord, NC
Scott,

I just ordered the Twin Otter from RichmandRC and I also ordered the VMar 35" floats. Got a call from a nice lady there in customer support telling me that the floats were not designed for the TO and that she did not know what floats would work on the Otter. I found it kind of odd that VMar makes floats, but they don't make them for their own plane designs. Well, that was her advice on the matter, anyway, so I cancelled my order for the floats. Guess I'll try to get a pair from www.seaplanesupply.com They seem to be quite knowledgeable on matching floats to planes.

It's hard to find out the specs on the VMar Twin Otter. I've been able to get the weight and wing loading and wingspan from other posts, but I haven't found anything on the length of the fuse. Could you please tell me that measurement.

Also, if any of you guys that are flying this plane on floats could make a recommendation for me on whose floats you are using, their length and design, i.e. flat bottom or v-bottom and any tips on how you attached the floats to the fuse.

Thanks,

Bill
summitbill is offline Find More Posts by summitbill
Old Jun 07, 2010, 06:03 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,535 Posts
Scott already put a video here, in post #247.
Old Jun 07, 2010, 06:25 PM
Slipping the surly bonds...
Elizabethton, TN
Joined Jan 2003
203 Posts
gt...

Thanks for the link. Found the measurement for the length of the fuse in that thread as well. Nice video. Love it when a scale float plane flies in a nice scale manner.

Bill
summitbill is offline Find More Posts by summitbill
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:27 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,319 Posts
Got my YELLOW kit delivered last week. It is absolutely a better covering than the white. The folks at Richmond RC came through in flying colors (yellow).

I will be making some modifications (as always) to personalize my TO. The first thing I did was paint the main landing gear yellow to match the covering. I was going to fabricate the landing gear fairing around the fuse like the scale version but I will postpone that mod until after the maiden. I don't want to go overboard with cosmetic mods until I see how she goes in the air. I also need to re-glue some of the interior fuse bracing and other places as usual with all ARFs.

I will post some pictures as I get her ready for the air. Love the yellow Canadian Rescue covering. The British Airways white has some major color distortions that result in a very poor rendition of the full scale plane.
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:22 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,535 Posts
Vic, one of the biggest disappointments about this kit, to me, is the landing gear. The plane looks so nice and scale, and they butchered the landing gear. If you do end up making those fairings, please take some step-by-step photos and post them here. Thanks!

One day, I would love to recover the whole model in the color/paint scheme of a Twin Otter I've jumped out of many many times! That's way way down the road though.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:57 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfreeflyer View Post
Vic, one of the biggest disappointments about this kit, to me, is the landing gear. The plane looks so nice and scale, and they butchered the landing gear. If you do end up making those fairings, please take some step-by-step photos and post them here. Thanks!

One day, I would love to recover the whole model in the color/paint scheme of a Twin Otter I've jumped out of many many times! That's way way down the road though.
As seen in this photo, the landing gear fairings on the twin otter contains a lot of sheeting that forms a contour fit to the fuse. This is not easy to reproduce with balsa without a lot of carving. Some models (Hangar 9, KMP, and others) have used fiberglass for the fairings. I suppose VMAR omitted the fairings to keep the cost down.

As I have built a few old Sterling and Royal kits that require a lot of wood carving, I may try to fabricate the fairings from balsa. This will essentially be a block of balsa carved to form the fairing. Therefore, it will not be something that others may want to build. I will at least fill in the gap in the bottom of the fuse where the landing gear is attached.

I will keep you posted on the landing gear mod for my model.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 03:02 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,319 Posts
Landing Gear Fairing

Due to the complex curves associated with the twin otter landing gear fairing, I will not be fabricating the fairings - just too much work for this model. After all, I have the Canadian Rescue version (yellow) and it is not the same model as the full scale version - the full scale rescue planes are short nose.

I think I will just cover the slot in the fuse with some covering and leave the gear as-is. I have several shades of yellow monokote, ultracote and others. None of them are a good match for the yellow on this plane - either too light or too dark. I may just use Red. It may not be scale, but I think it will be better than adding yet another shade of yellow to the plane....

I will post some photos later.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:58 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,319 Posts
Here is a photo of the landing gear after I painted it. I think it will improve the looks of this model greatly.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 07:27 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,319 Posts
Poor Quality ARF

Well, I have bad news about this ARF. The more I look the worse it gets. I have found this ARF to be one of the worst ARFs I have purchased. I have found better quality in no name brands from Ebay.

Here is a list of my problems:
- As I was pulling out the parts for installing the motors, I found the following:
* Motor mount plywood very thin a flimsy
* Plywood motor mount glue seemed to be hot glue - not epoxy
* Motor mounts required sanding to allow them to fit properly onto the wing
* The cowl material is very thin plastic, extremely flimsy, dime store quality
* Both cowls were damaged - cracked
- The wing struts are not the same color as the plane.
- The sheeting on the wing is poor quality balsa - soft
- The battery hatch does not fit properly
- Minimal glue used throughout the fuse
- Glue used appears to be like hot glue
- Although this is stand-off scale, the mounting screws for the wing struts are exposed and the plywood circular mounting disc look bad.
- The main landing gear is mounted in a cavity that is left uncovered.
- The aileron mounting hinges are very stiff. I would change them but they came pre-assembled.
- The front windshield is poorly attached and not the same color as the plane.
- The formers for the rear of the fuse are on at the top and bottom - poor design.
- Although the sides of the fuse are sheeted, the balsa is soft and has a seam that is unglued.

Some of you may think that these complaints are frivolous and petty. However, I have purchased many ARFs and built several kits. This one rates near the bottom of the scale for quality when you look at it's price compared to others. I have purchased $49.00 ARFs from Ebay with no name brand that were much better models than this one - and they fly well too.

OK, enough of the bad mouthing of the VMAR kit. I will just build it and fly it. Hope it flys well.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 08:44 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,535 Posts
Vic, I agree with each and every one of your comments above. This is one of the poorest ARF's, but guess what... It will fly like one of your best. It was my most reliable airplane until a midair took it down. It is built for scale electric power, something which I am new to after 15 years of flying. All other ARFs I bought were built tough, with excellent wood. If this plane had the same quality, it would weigh twice as much. My first impression was that this plane was super light for its size. I couldn't believe how light it was built. I thought for sure it would come apart in the air. I let many people fly this plane, and I told each and every one of them to fly it scale and not pull high G's for fear of ripping apart the wing built out of ultra light balsa. I had to stay in the mindset that this was my lazy Sunday flyer. I had to discipline myself not to do tricks with it and leave that for my other planes. The plane did well, so well that I bought a 2nd one even though the first one bored me to death flying it, lol. I just loved the scale looking landings, and I was shopping around for another trainer since I love putting people on the buddy box. I don't disagree with you at all. I am in 100% agreement with you, but I made the necessary mods and fixes to the plane and it became one of my favorites. Just wait 'til you get it in the air. One last note about those aileron hinges, and also all the hinges on the plane. PULL THEM OUT! You can do this by tugging hard on the control surfaces. If you can do it on the ground (and you sure will be able to), then it will also be able to come apart in the air. Everyone hates hinging, but please just take the time and replace all the hinges with good ol' nylon/CA hinges. Your hard work (not really that hard) will pay off big time when you see it come in for a perfect flare and touchdown. Good luck. Let me know about the maiden!

P.S. I spent a few hours today and yesterday designing a variable pitch prop system for this bird, lol. I have most of it done in CAD, but I dunno if I'll ever get the parts made. I'll look into it one of these days. I'd love to throw in a 3500+ KV motor that is geared and held at a constant RPM so that I get that awesome turboprop whine. I must not forget to mention reverse thrust!