HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by gtfreeflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 04:34 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,439 Posts
Me: Uh oh... I just bought another one of these

Wife:
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2010, 09:23 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,439 Posts
Plane arrived today. Richmondrc.com was super fast. They ship from just outside Vancouver. I always thought they were in Virginia, but I was wrong.

The ARF's box was packed inside another cardboard box, and richmondrc put two large sheets of lite ply around the sides of the ARF's box to keep it protected! Needless to say, the plane arrived unharmed. The only shame is that the lite ply is not of good enough quality to use for building a kit plane, so I must throw it out rather than keep it in my scrap wood box.

Now I need to order a full set of electronics again, since I threw all the previous electronics in my P-38. I'll have this flying in several weeks.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:30 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,439 Posts
Ordered the remaining items I needed to get this plane in the air. Let's see how long it takes to come in.

Just out of curiosity, who's still following this blog? Anyone else flying one of these?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 07:08 PM
BrushlessPower
CANADA
Joined Jul 2005
32 Posts
Still following this thread.

Still working on my TO. I have the wire harness and motors on wing. Just have to install cowls, aileron, and nose servos. Looking forward to maiden in a couple of months. The snow is still om the ground in Alberta.
Black Lab Radar is offline Find More Posts by Black Lab Radar
Old Apr 03, 2010, 04:11 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jun 2009
270 Posts
TO on Order!!

I just ordered mine from Richmond RC. Will see how fast it arrives. What motor set up have you guys found works best? Sorry to hear about the EDF guy taking out one of these. That sucks!! P.S. I am an EDF Guy also!! That's my speed fix, now I need a nice slow fun flyer. Any info, to do's would be great.

Scott
Concord, NC
scottd9990 is offline Find More Posts by scottd9990
Old Apr 03, 2010, 10:33 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,439 Posts
Yeah, first of all, if you bought the white British Airways version (not the yellow Canadian one) you will probably find the fuselage is discolored and yellowish in some areas. I called to complain about this, but I was told that's how they all are. I don't know what happened to this lot of Otters they have, but I suspect moisture. My engine mounts are also severely warped. I'm going to have to cut new ones. The first Otter I had was much much better than this one.

Either way, if you get lucky, you'll have to pull off all the control surfaces. You'll find this is very easy to do because all the hinges are horrible. Recut the hinge slots and put in good CA hinges or whatever you like best. Also, the control horns are a joke. Use some real control horns. You'll see what I'm talking about when you open up the box.

I love the huge amount of room inside this plane. I flew it with a 3s 5000mAh 30C LiPo. That battery weighs nearly 15oz and the Otter flies great with it... for 12-15 minutes! There's enough room in the fuselage to carry maybe 4 of those packs, lol. I'd never get off the ground like that, but I'd be able to spent a good 1 hour trying before the batteries give out.

I was very happy with the Turnigy 2213 motor I mentioned up above. So much so that I decided to buy the same motors since the original ones are now in my P-38. The cowl is very tiny and you will be limited with what kind of motor you can put in there. You can look up the dimensions for the 2213, and also for the Frio 10-10. I used both of these and they fit just fine. Unfortunately, my little slogan "Put a bigger motor on it!" doesn't work for this plane unless you want to modify the cowl. I chose the 2213 after measuring inside the cowl because that was the largest motor I could find that would fit. You won't get vertical with the plane, but you'll have plenty of power for short takeoffs and scale flight. Loops and rolls are possible, but you'll want to stay away from high-G maneuvers because the wing is built LIGHT, very light. I'd put money on it that you will comment on how light this plane is for a 60+ inch wingspan model, but I just spent all my money buying this plane for a second time!

Enjoy and post what you find in the box. I'm curious to know if yours is discolored and if your engine mounts are warped too. Please do reply about that.
Old Apr 03, 2010, 11:07 PM
Joined Jun 2009
270 Posts
Ot

Thanks for all the great info. I am looking at using these motors:

2 Each: Alpha 450 (63M19) 175W, Brushless motors from Exceed. They are 28mm diameter. Will these fit ok?

I have plenty of esc's and batteries to use.

I will take photos and update as the kit arrives.

Thanks Again!

Scott
Old Apr 04, 2010, 12:49 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,439 Posts
A 28mm motor will fit fine. That's the same as the 2213 motor. See the specs below for comparison.
Last edited by gtfreeflyer; Apr 12, 2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 06:02 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,439 Posts
Here's the electrical setup I'm going with for Otter #2...
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:13 AM
Gloucestershire, UK.
Joined May 2006
1,228 Posts
Hi,
I winced at the pictures of your totalled Twin Otter. No circuit patterns in your club? Change clubs, it's less expensive!!
I've also got one of these aircraft, bought about 18 months ago. Only just getting to prepping it now.
No discolouration that I can see but the engine mounts point the nacelles in different directions so that will need sorting!
I had a stringer that was loose internally on the R/H rear fuselage side (no glue), now fixed. The wing joiner would have made a good heli blade so I've made a new one.
I'm just about to take a saw to the underside to create a second mounting trough forward, to take floats.
This kit seems to be very good value and Twotters weren't readily available elsewhere when I bought mine: VMAR seem to be able to produce some good off-the-beaten-track products. Of course you can now buy a larger H9 version but here, that is at or around the 400 mark...
I've followed your thread and will continue to do so, thanks for posting. I was also intending on trying Gyros, to keep this particular Otter from going fishing... Lakes seemingly always being lined with tall trees - with a playful wind behind them..!
Paul W.
paulbw is offline Find More Posts by paulbw
Old Apr 15, 2010, 03:48 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,439 Posts
Hey Paul, I also had to glue the stringer in the aft fuselage, on the right side. I guess they like to ignore that spot. I'm recutting new motor mounts since the ones they gave me were warped like crazy. I just pulled the glue off the ones they provided, traced the different parts onto new ply sheets, and cut them up with the dremel.

The motors I ordered are still backordered, so I'm just waiting for those to come in.

Please post pics with the floats when you can. That sounds fun!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:36 PM
Gloucestershire, UK.
Joined May 2006
1,228 Posts
Quote:
The motors I ordered are still backordered,
Yes, and there isn't a lot of room in those nacelles is there? I couldn't use the motors that I had initially ordered so I swopped them for the (shorter) Scorpions from my Sealand build. I haven't had time to have a look at the alignment problem: I couldn't see too much wong with the cross-piece mounts as supplied so I'm wondering if those 'troughs' glued to the wing are mis-aligned.
A picture of an easily recognised fuselage is attached. I'm busily taking measurements prior to making the float struts.
Paul W.
paulbw is offline Find More Posts by paulbw
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:30 PM
Joined Jun 2009
270 Posts
VMAR T-Otter

Ok, so mine arrived last week, and I have been building for the past few days. I also added lights to mine. I ordered the white British Airways ARF kit and I am not happy with the covering. Mine is mostly TEA Colored!!! I will be re-covering it soon in Monocote. Is there a cleaner that will remove this brown color from the covering?

Had the maiden flight today and all went very well. Flys very nice. I will get some photos soon.

I am also looking at putting this plane on floats as well. I am looking at the VMAR float kits .40 size. I don't remember what the float length to plane length should be??? Anyone know this??

Thanks!

Scott
Concord, NC

P.S. going flying again this evening when the wind dies down a bit
Old Apr 19, 2010, 09:23 PM
Joined Jun 2009
270 Posts
Otter Flights

I must admit, this plane flys really nice!! The more I fly it, the better it flies. Touch and Go's are a piece of cake, and really scale. Power is good, flights are great! Battery use is very low. I am getting 6 min flights from a 3Cell Lipo 2200 and only charging back approx 1100-1300 per flight. This is with two 175W motors and 9" x 4.5 two blade props.

Today I put on the Masterairscrew three blade 9" x 7" props. Three flights each approx 6 minutes, touch and go's all the time. Used up: 1940 mh out of the 2200 pack today. I think that's really good! Performance was up a good bit with the new props, and battery use was still pretty good.

I measures 335W total with the new props @ full power. I think I am about ready for the Floats!!!!

The covering sucks on my plane, but I think I can overlook this for awhile due to the great flight performance of this plane. I will cover it again when its really bad.

SD
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:37 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,439 Posts
Awesome. Great news.