HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2003, 07:39 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,317 Posts
How do we download photos on a Mac from Canon digital camcorder ?

We have a new Canon ZR65MC digital camcorder, and have been using I-Movie to download and edit video clips. The video camera also has a card, and there are still photos we want to download to our Mac, but we can't figure out how. We've searched the net for the info, but can't seem to find any help.

Do we need a separate special card reader ? We have one for our Olympus digital camera, but it uses a different card.

Any ideas ? Thanks,

Al
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Last edited by Al P; Mar 10, 2003 at 07:42 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 04:52 PM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,094 Posts
I think the Canons use SD (secure digital) cards so you would need to get a SD card reader and attach it to your computer. Alternatively, some camcorder mayalso have a USB port to get the still pics off of the cam. If that's the case, you need a USB port on your computer and the proper USB cable. The Firewire port is for video, the USB for stills.

Your Olympus most likely use Smartmedia memory cards unless it's a newer camera. The newer ones use X-D cards (yeah, I know, can't they agree on 1 or 2 standards?! ). Anyway, the reader that you have for your Oly won't work with SD cards.
MK is online now Find More Posts by MK
Old Mar 12, 2003, 05:19 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,317 Posts
MK:

Thanks for that information. You're absolutely correct. We called Mac Warehouse and found a card reader at a very reasonable price for the Canon, and some that would read both the memory stick and the Olympus smart media, through two different slots I presume.

Should be here tomorrow, and then we can share the Indoor fly-in photos. Oh Joy !

Al
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P