HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2009, 06:41 PM
Alexandria LA
Joined Oct 2004
1,642 Posts
Build Log
HET 90mm F18 with retracts

I have been thinking about which plane to start after I get my TAM F16 and the flyeagle Rafale flying. I talked with Robert at EJF and decided to try the new HET F18 for a single 90mm fan. Robert has a retract mod that comes with laser cut formers that I plan to install. I believe he said that it was developed jointly by Kevin Cox and EJF, so I bet that it will be superb in quality. The former pieces should arrive in a few days, but I received the directions via email from Robert today.
The plane, retracts, fan and motor also arrived today, direct from HET. I decided to try the HET 90mm fan and the HET 600-43 motor. The motor is a 1100kv motor that I plan to run on 8s. Won't be as hot as the medusa motors but should be sufficient power.
I plan to do a decent cockpit with pilot, and I have a paint scheme picked out already.

The fuse is big, 56" in length, slightly longer than my Tam's 1/12th F16. I believe the scale is right at 1/12th, if I did my math right for a F18c. I am sure they will be a lot of negative comments over the fact that it is polyester/resin and not glass/resin, but the price is under 300.00 so I guess you get what you pay for. I have had good luck with the HET F15 and HET F16 so I am not worried about that. Though, I was a little disappointed that there are not any panel lines. I guess I can take care of that when I do my paint job.

The plane has airlerons and elevators, but not full flying stabs. I am not that worried about that fact, but full stabs would be a nice touch and I am sure someone could do the mod.

I took some pictures, and included a pic with the Tam F16 which is 53" long
dusmmdb34 is offline Find More Posts by dusmmdb34
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2009, 06:49 PM
Alexandria LA
Joined Oct 2004
1,642 Posts
I was just reading the manuel and realized that it is for the twin 6904 fans. I guess it shouldn't be an issue, appears to be the same basic design.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:21 PM
www.turbofanelectrics.com
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2002
853 Posts
Hello Dusmmdb34 the twin fan f18 and single fan 90mm f18 are the same airframes with the only difference being the intake and exhaust.

best regards,
William
TurboFanElectric is online now Find More Posts by TurboFanElectric
Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:40 PM
United States, FL, Coral Springs
Joined Jan 2007
495 Posts
What retracts are you going to use?
falconjet50 is offline Find More Posts by falconjet50
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:29 PM
Alexandria LA
Joined Oct 2004
1,642 Posts
Using the HET retracts

William thanks, guess it was a easy conversion for them
Old Jan 20, 2009, 09:26 PM
Anti-Gravity Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2005
244 Posts
dusmmdb34,

Looks awesome man! Cant wait to see the Splinter on that, she is gonna be sweeeeet

Keep the pictures coming
parker fly is offline Find More Posts by parker fly
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:42 PM
Callsign blocked
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2008
223 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I'll be following it closely. Here's something I posted on RCU because I spent so much time trying to figure it out.
Jus figured I'd post this for those that care. I just received my Het 90mm F-18 from the Electric Jet Factory. I ordered it online & It came extremely fast, & was very well packed. Fiberglass fuse, balsa covered foam wing & horiz stabs, & all composit vertical fins. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if the nose of it was too short, & if the wings are too big, & if the canopy was as doofy as it appeared in some photos, & videos that I've seen. The answer is yes. The F18 from nose to beginning of the wing LE at the root is suppose to ba a bit longer than the LE of the wing at the root to the rear edge of the tailcone. On the Het 90mm it is shorter. The wings appear to be much bigger than scale, but not too bad, And I cant wait to throw that doofy 1950 looking canopy that comes with it in the trash... Other than cosmetics, I am very happy with the kit, but plan to do some heavy mods to make it cosmetically to my liking.
I'm going to stretch the nose about 3 inches, & make a mold & plug to form a much cooler looking canopy.
Brickyard is online now Find More Posts by Brickyard
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:02 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
that is an awesome looking kit, and for the cost can't beat it with 2 sticks! lol and that thing on todays 90mm's should be nuts even when full tilt retracts and all, which im guessing are gonna fit way better with single 90 than twin 70's

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:14 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,011 Posts
Judging from this pic, it looks like you have the 90mm version to me.

Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:35 AM
Neil Jarvis
Surrey U.K.
Joined Sep 2004
2,016 Posts
Watching with interest.
Neil
Neil Guildford is offline Find More Posts by Neil Guildford
Old Jan 21, 2009, 02:49 PM
Alexandria LA
Joined Oct 2004
1,642 Posts
I was going to wait but I couldnt, so I am on my way. I got home and decided to do the doors for the retracts. This is my first time to do something like this so bear with me. My Tam F16 and the rafale conversion I am doing, both had the gear done when I received them.

I printed out the layouts provided by Robert and I had a few issues getting the dimensions right, but Robert and Kevin were smart enough to write all the dimensions on the layout so I simply altered the scale and printed until I got it right.

I taped them on the fuse, doubled checked the dimensions and the distances provided then cut the doors out using a dremel and a thin cutting wheel. I have zero experience using a hot knife, so I decided to go with what I have used.....the trusty dremel.

Once I get the formers installed and the gear finished I might try the gear doors as well. My Tam's f16 is a good example that I can use as a go by for the install if I decide to try.
Last edited by dusmmdb34; Jan 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:47 PM
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Dec 2008
77 Posts
Hey dusmmdb34,
Can you email me the templates for the retracts. I have the same kit. The only thing I see that will be a small problem is the edf is very close to the rear ducting. Going to be a very tight fit.
nolimit1 is offline Find More Posts by nolimit1
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:03 PM
Alexandria LA
Joined Oct 2004
1,642 Posts
I can, but it is only the templates for the cutouts. The laser cut parts are done by Robert at ejf.com. He doesn't have the kit on line yet but if you call him he has them. I think I paid 20.00 for it.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:09 AM
Callsign blocked
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2008
223 Posts
my het 90mm F 18 from the top

I plan to make the wings removable, & contemplating stabilators
Brickyard is online now Find More Posts by Brickyard
Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:46 PM
Alexandria LA
Joined Oct 2004
1,642 Posts
I received the laser cut formers today from Robert at EJF.com. Simple and easy to put together. After my "miscalculation" on the rear gear doors (thanks Kevin for giving me a heads up), I made sure I looked over the supplied go by photos for awhile before jumping in. Amazing how things work the right way when you follow the directions!! I got the nose gear former in and I am getting ready to install the rear ones. First I have to make larger holes for the rear formers since I lined up the template wrong. No big deal, they are the correct distance from the nose, just too far up the side.
I also got some of the typical work done today, I hinged the flying surfaces and installed the rear stabs and the elevator servos. I also didn't want to simply epoxy in the airleron servos, so I simply cut two wood plates, attached the servos to those and then screwed those in. This wat I can remove them if necessary. NOt the most cosmetic looking items, but once painted, hardly noticed

Mike