SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:51 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Mini-Review
Turnigy 2836 - 2350kv motor

I just received the Turnigy 2836 outrunner motor from HC and of course immediately took it apart to see what it looked like on the inside. I am appalled by the lies posted on their website. Their construction specs aren't even close! They claim this is a 12N14P, when it is a 9N6P! I thought I was getting a bargain... Wrong! That'll teach me to believe the HC website. I should have known better

Specs:
Claimed: 12N14P - Actual 9N6P
Magnet strength claimed: N45 - Actual N35 at best!
Lamination thickness: .2mm - Actual: .2mm - True!

Ok, now the details on the construction:

Stator
The stator is 22mm diameter X 19mm length with a bearing extension out of the front to accomodate the oversize bearing. Laminations are indeed .2mm, which is top notch. The windings however, are crap. There was plenty of room for more copper and the windings went all over the place. Very poor windings, but good iron.

Bearings
The bearings are oversized which requires a strange extension on the stator to get the bearings to fit the motor. However, they hold the bell very sturdy. They are in fact seated in quite well and roll very smoothly. Nice quality on these.

Rotor and magnets
The magnets are weak. They aren't even close to the suggested N45 on the website. On a bright note, the airgap is small and the bell is very sturdy and offers no wobble. The shaft is reversibile, but you'll need a 4mm collar to keep the bell from flying off as there is no second cut out for the support clip.

Overall
Overall, this would be a decent motor to rebuild. It might be better to get the low speed version and pick up the extra 6 magnets for the motor builders. I wouldn't even think of pushing it to 480 Watts as suggested. I'd say 320 tops. However for under $20, it makes a beautiful candidate for a construction project. With the sturdy construction, I believe this one might be able to take the odd 10 and 8 magnet configurations without too much difficulty.

This motor will be sent out to Dr. Kiwi for performance testing. Pictures will follow later.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2009, 03:21 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,552 Posts
Alex,

I have the 3700kv version of that motor installed in a HET 6904 fan. I have a couple of pictures of it with the bell removed, but I can't remember which thread I posted the pics. If you do rebuild that motor could you do a rebuild thread?

Steve
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Jan 20, 2009, 03:36 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,166 Posts
Not wanting to Defend The "Anthony Hand' character or his copy writing slills.
But I could find No claims as to 12 poles for the hi Kv versions Also if you look at the reviews for those motors, at least one buyer has posted that it's a 9 pole 6 mag design .
Thanks for the other info. I was waiting to see what was right and wrong with one of those ..Before (for a change:-) buying..
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 20, 2009, 03:49 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,166 Posts
Not wanting to Defend The "Anthony Hand' character or his copy writing slills.
But I could find No claims as to 12 poles for the hi Kv versions Also if you look at the reviews for those motors, at least one buyer has posted that it's a 9 pole 6 mag design .
Thanks for the other info. I was waiting to see what was right and wrong with one of those ..Before (for a change:-) buying..
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:09 PM
Milford, Massachusetts
Joined Aug 2004
40 Posts
Alex,

What size magnets are used in this motor ? Curved / Flat ?
SkyCobra is offline Find More Posts by SkyCobra
Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:52 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
The magnets are curved. magnet width is slightly wider than the stator hammerhead. Looks like almost exactly 50% magnet coverage.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Apr 02, 2009, 12:51 AM
finger slicer
Southern CA.
Joined Mar 2009
475 Posts
Like most motors from HC, it's hit or miss what kind of quality you're going to get. I'm using this motor on a modified funjet. I saw someone elses design and gave it a copy - I'll attach pictures of it so you can see what I'm talking about.

I'm using a modified motor mount instead of the default config. This allows extreme cooling and allows smaller props to get a bigger bite of air.

I run 3S, 4S, and I'm playing around with 6S packs in this config. When running 3S and 4S packs I use a 6x4 prop (parkzone stryker props - they're a lot stronger than APC props and are usually balanced from the factory). With the 6S config, I use a 4.75x4.75 APC prop. My 6S pack is actually two 3S 1300mAh 15C-20C Zippy Flightmax lipos that I run in series.

I have a stand alone eagletree v3 airspeed module that registers 95-105MPH with the 3S packs. 125MPH with the 4S pack, and also 125MPH with the 6S config. I assume the efficiency is way off with the 6S pack (and or my eagletree isn't registering correct speeds).

With the 6S config - wattsup meter static registers 59A burst and then falls down to about 53A. 1kW burst and in the mid 900W after it settle downs. I don't have a temp sensor, but the motor is only midly warm.

After flight - the motor isn't warm at all, but the two 3S packs are pretty warm, so I'm sure I'm taxing them. No biggie taxing the packs, and motor, though. As mentioned in one of the picture comments - the motor was only 17 something bucks, and the packs were like 14 dollars each.

The nice thing about the 6S in series config is the weight as they're lighter than the 4S packs and the glide rate is much better than the heavy sink rate with the 4S packs.

All in all - not too shabby for components on the extreme cheap. I plan on ordering more of these motors to mess about with. Also, I'm going to buy some 3S and 2S packs and see how 5S in series works out.

-
mike
carpetbomb is offline Find More Posts by carpetbomb
Old Apr 02, 2009, 05:46 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,470 Posts
Yo

Your pretty lucky in that its got those big holes in back , is the front the same
NX-687 is online now Find More Posts by NX-687
Old Apr 02, 2009, 10:40 AM
finger slicer
Southern CA.
Joined Mar 2009
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NX-687
Your pretty lucky in that its got those big holes in back , is the front the same
Yeah, big holes in the front, too. Motor gets all sorts of airflow as well which I'm sure helps a bunch. I don't doubt the claims above regarding this motor. I agree the quality is iffy with the HC motors, but since they're generally so cheap - I don't mind.

Buying motors from HC is like buying something from a swapmeet, or garage sale. The hunt is fun, and sometimes you get a killer deal.
Old Apr 02, 2009, 11:57 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts
I realize that I hadn't put a link to my review of this motor in here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=Turnigy+2836

Obviously carpetbomb has enlarged the envelope by pushing 1000W through one!
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Apr 02, 2009, 12:05 PM
finger slicer
Southern CA.
Joined Mar 2009
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi
I realize that I hadn't put a link to my review of this motor in here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=Turnigy+2836

Obviously carpetbomb has enlarged the envelope by pushing 1000W through one!
heh. Why not? Who cares if it smokes That's what I love about HC motors that are bought on the cheap. You can totally abuse them and not destroy your checking account in the process!