SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:48 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
The simple build is still one of the best fliers, even though the fancy types look better...
Adding a body with a rudder further improves the performance..
I have just built this lightweight version

using a 2gm spektrum 4ch micro dsm2 rx..3 of 2gm servos ...6A esc .. 10gm motor ..
all the gear is in and working.. next I have to cover it..I am using carrier bags again...for light kites they work well.... for strength the fabric is better, but heavier...
and lastly some pushrods are needed
with a prop and some pushrods the weight without a battery will be near to 65gms.... its at 60 now..the area is 1.5sqft..so it should be floaty enough..
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:52 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
All done wth an AUW of 90gms including a 300 2s lipo and a gws 7x3.5 prop..

next perhaps some lights after it gets maidened
Last edited by davereap; Feb 14, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:14 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
The above kite has had its maiden...It is superb... It cruises slow and easy at less than half power, will hover perfectly.. its my easiest and best for hover so far...

At first I was disappointed with the roll and loop, at the low power cruise roll was very slow loops were rather large...
It was one of those DUH! moments when I realized a quick burst of power made all the difference
Loops now down to a few feet..rolls more than adequate.. all tight maneuvers just needed some airflow to get it sweet, so a quick burst did the trick...Once I realized that I was away...
This kite is exceptional... with its 10gm motor I get a long flight on a 300 2S lipo, so at low power I expect the draw is down at near 1.5A ..full power draws under 3A..
Hover is at about 3/4 power... full power will accelerate it up from the hover

The only problem I had was a mid air collision with of all people my flying buddy..his was fine, mine got the covering damaged..both of the frameworks were fine despite crashing to the concrete floor, so we put them upright and carried on...

EDIT..... after a lot of flights I have reaised the COG does in fact want to go back a touch from its current location... At th moment there is nothing wrong with its flight, but I have noticed that it drops its nose when you try to glide it in...it doesnt glide flat...so my thought is that its nose heavy and at the slowest glide speed the elevons are having a bit of trouble keeping its nose up...
Last edited by davereap; Feb 18, 2013 at 03:39 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:18 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Ive been looking at the latest videos from goflykite.. they certainly put on a good show..

Did you realize that most of their big kites..ie..the 1.8M use what I call cheats... they are in fact kites with a smaller center construction and then they have rod extensions going out which carry lights...doubling their apparent span
The simpler shaped center body always flies well, but at night all that is seen is the lighting, so it looks like a much more fancy impressive kite

they dont use the simplest shape but a medium complicated one ...
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:45 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
This micro kite cross plane went well..
I've been moving to smaller kites they are much cheaper to make and test, and this is the best so far for aerobatics.. it also flies nice and slow
The previous kite flew slower, and needed bursts of high power to get through its aerobatic maneuvers
A simple shape variation, with a body added, its flight performance is far superior to all of the more complicated kite designs

At 79gms AUW with a 300 2s lipo.. 150gms thrust.. it is very aerobatic.. but can fly very slowly, it was made for indoor flight using carrier bag material for covering
Next what about a bigger version?
And then all it needs are a load of lights..
Last edited by davereap; Mar 23, 2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 03:04 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
My microkite finally got filmed
Flown outside, because the indoor sessions are difficult for my headcam..
this shows the power of the 1811 motor..
slow flight can be nice and steady, and the first part of the video is all on 1/3 power.. sometimes less...but its also a little rocket at full power and more than fast enough at 1/2-3/4 power..

the basic framework will fly on the umx sukoi radio gear setup, but its a lot less agile
cf-aerobat (5 min 5 sec)
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:19 AM
Kite Crazy!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Back at the kites again this time much better success.

After building the simple and trying to maiden it I realized it had a bad twist in the frame causing it to be un-flyable and suffering a crash that sheared the motor mount off leaving it not worth repairing. I spent along stint getting into helicopters and also into RC rock crawlers I am now back at the kites.

I decided to build the fancy this time and after a few attempts to get the CG correct on the maiden she flew great, about 5 batteries on sat and another 5 on Sunday and I am so happy with it I cant wait to build another one

Name: photo1.jpg
Views: 105
Size: 293.6 KB
Description:

Name: photo.jpg
Views: 82
Size: 283.9 KB
Description:
jeeperb is offline Find More Posts by jeeperb
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:36 AM
Kite Crazy!
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Hey Davereap

I went back and looked at some of this thread and came across your Nk6 design
I really like the look of it and would like to build something similar. However I couldn't find any reports on how it flew.

My plan is basic the same as NK6 except the prop will be at the front, and I wnt to stretch it to be wider wingspan It would be a mix of the 1.2m fancy with NK6but without curves and using the rectilinear form of your nk6. I think that the lack of bend stress in the carbon rods will make it easier to keep the layout straight and true and I prefer the straight lines.

I know the GFK guys are using rods with LEDs to make them appear wider but what I want is a kite about the same as the simple in size and aerobatic ability but then add removable wing sections for a little more area and slow graceful flight with lights.

So how did your NK6 design fly? any words of advice?
Name: 36inch-Image.gif
Views: 77
Size: 77.6 KB
Description:

Brandon
Old Apr 18, 2013, 04:44 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
It goes just the same as any flat delta from depron.. that is what I copied...but its nothing special

your fancy looks great.. much better than the way mine turned out... congratulations..

Ive made a few sorts now and the best flier by far is the little micro kite seen above.. having a fuz I suppose is a bit of a cheat, but it improves the flight .. next down are the simple types without the fuz..

the micro is getting a regular indoor fly and its in the top two for easy aerobatics..
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:37 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,068 Posts
+1 on the fancy look
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:13 AM
Kite Crazy!
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Thanks I am really happy with how it turned out especially the way it flys, I might upgrade to a 3s as it is a bit lacking in power on 2s

My mate calls it the flying Bikini
Old May 16, 2013, 07:18 AM
Kite Crazy!
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Flying Bikini videos

Scratch Built RC Kite Flight 1 (0 min 38 sec)

Scratch Built RC Kite Flight 2 (0 min 38 sec)
Last edited by jeeperb; May 16, 2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:34 AM
Kite Crazy!
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Here is my version of the Delta blended with the 1.2m Fancy
It started with longer winglets but after a crash cracked a leading edge and cut the wings down a bit.

The good news is after I clipped the wings shorter it fly's better

I am in progress of doing the lights now and will have them finished soon
No video of this one yet

Name: IMG_2093.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 214.2 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_2094.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 212.4 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_2095.jpg
Size: 250.8 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_2096.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 229.6 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_2097.jpg
Size: 193.2 KB
Description:
Old May 30, 2013, 03:52 PM
United States, TX, Pflugerville
Joined Apr 2011
33 Posts
A thrust Vector Night Flier Maidens

A new thrust vectored hybrid plane kite takes to the air....

Big Daddy!
All carbon fiber, Kevlar, and Icarex construction.
digitalight is offline Find More Posts by digitalight
Old May 30, 2013, 05:51 PM
United Kingdom, England, Windermere
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
I'm liking your look digitalight... what does she fly like..? and how did you colour your ripstop..? when can we expect videos..

Chris..
Manonthegrassyknoll is offline Find More Posts by Manonthegrassyknoll