HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:25 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,623 Posts
Mario
Quote:
How do you manipulate the right and left elevons when turning? I usually just move one of them.
Aha! Which TX do you have? What you say suggests something other than a normal elevon setup. Nowadays most transmitters have an elevon setting, even the Spektrum DX5. Failing that, you need an "elevon mixer" (not expensive).

What should happen is, both control surfaces always move. When you use the elevator input, they both move the same way. When you use the aileron input, they move opposite ways. Are you getting that?

nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Oh wow! I never thought about that!
the remote itself have the mixer ability, which manipulate 2 motor output at the same time with 1 input. That should do the trick right?

What about the motor mount and to make the kite crashproof? At the current configuration, I was only able to try 2-3 times before it brokes
mario.boz is offline Find More Posts by mario.boz
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:59 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,623 Posts
Crashproof? I've never managed, it's not worth the extra weight. Lightweight is important. If you build to crash you can't win, IMHO. It's good to think about the battery however. Try fixing it so that it can fly out without breaking everything on the way. Or stick a little bit of sponge on the front of it.

With elevon mixer switched on in the transmitter, you connect one servo to the elevator signal and the other to the aileron. It can be a fiddle working it so that they move in the right directions. Trial and error or, if all else fails then read the manual, RTFM as we say. Better still RTFM first.

nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, TX, Pflugerville
Joined Apr 2011
33 Posts
Pflugerville Texas welcomes another night flyer

Welcome to Super Dave and his IFO night flyer
digitalight is offline Find More Posts by digitalight
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:51 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,801 Posts
You can make the model bounce better by using multiple smaller diameter rods on highly curved sections, lashing them together..
The smaller rods are more bendy, and two lashed together is as strong as one thicker rod..
For the front bend try either two smaller rods or one fiberglass rod,, the FG rods are 4mm dia. bought from curtain shops or fabric shops and are a lot heavier but well flexible
You can fix tubes at the front to take the front bend, making it a removeable section as seen in my pic.

With any rods, they need to have the ability to bend more than what you already have bent them... If they are at their full bend any impact then snaps them..

for motor mounts, try the nylon/plastic tube type, lashing them to the main center fuzz rod.. the thrust is at zero ...no up down or sideways
Think also about using a prop saver

The other highly curved part is at the rear of the elevons..this also benefits from being made using two smaller dia, rods lashed together
Just remember that if your rod is up near its maximum bend any impact will cause it to shatter
looking at the bend you have on that 3mm CF rod, its going to be pretty much at the maximum stress , so any bang and its gone

The elevons at the back are done on the TX by mixing... when you bank right the right hand elevon goes up and the left goes down by the same amount..and the opposite for turning left.. if your TX does not mix then a small cheap mixer unit is used.
For the elevator , up and down, both surfaces move in the same direction up or down..
The turns on elevon model are made by first banking the model, then pulling back on the stick...bank and yank...
The problem comes when you are going down wind..
note when going down with the wind turning back is always harder, giving more power makes it turn easier.
Or better still is the addition of a rudder... a rudder will bring it round easier

Important..... a nice flat wing.. no twists at all.. twists will make the model roll
get the COG at the correct location..normally we think that COG refers to front and back ballance,which it does, but it is also side to side, so don't have one side much heavier than the other..as that can make the model roll toward the heavier side
Also contributing to unwanted roll can be the torque from the motor.. when the motor spins one way model will tend to roll the other way.. normally this can be easily trimmed out on the aileron trim..but it can catch you out when you first launch.. untill your speed is up the aileron trim has less effect...
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Jan 26, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined Apr 2011
33 Posts
butterflies fly at night!

thanks to this thread, the idea for the butterfly was born... enjoy!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:40 AM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,426 Posts
Was that a kite first before a plane or is it hand made? I love it, any video?
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:33 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
Or Plans???
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:44 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,801 Posts
very pretty... please do the lines for us..
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:22 PM
Foam Newbie
Melbourne, FL
Joined Sep 2010
320 Posts
My girlfriend has been bugging me for a butterfly kite! She would love this! please post the dimensions.
Jefte is offline Find More Posts by Jefte
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Apr 2011
33 Posts
the butterfly lines

It is made from scratch.. all carbon fiber and covered with ICAREX and painted with Sharpie markers. Eagle Tree Gaurdian helps it fly real nice. With no Gaurdian, it tucks and flits like a real buterfly... a handful! Here was the lines on top of starting plans. Hope this helps!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:49 PM
Joined Apr 2011
33 Posts
start and finished frame pics

evolution of the frame ... 2 images
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Apr 2011
33 Posts
rudder and goodies for you...

close up of the hardware for you
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined Apr 2011
33 Posts
bracing & streamers

14 lb test Kevlar is used for all bracing. Streamers are almost 15 feet long each.
See photo to know where to attach.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Apr 2011
33 Posts
final paint

here is the final paint. Now go make a girlfriend very happy! My wife does not really get into all the stuff I fly, but the art fliers ... she goes nuts over and always comes with me when they fly!!!