SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:06 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,007 Posts
here is the fix...
just in front of the hinge line rod Ive added a 3mm CF rod to stiffen up the area..
On the elevon ive added an extra CF rod, to which Ive also added a better horn all fixed it to a ply plate..

now when I give up elevator there is strength in the elevons up position... and no easy push back as there was before...
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:41 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,007 Posts
the mods worked fine.. but now ive changed the motor up a size from the video
video with a blue wonder
W wing night kite modded (4 min 27 sec)
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:55 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,007 Posts
reflown with the axi, it now has more power.. so goes fine..
now I am ready to take it apart again.. to pack it away for my holiday
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:15 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,007 Posts
After removing all the cross bars , servos , push rods, a folding attempt showed the build I used was giving problems.. I had used depron layers either side of the cloth, at the front, as a battery platform and to hold the radio gear, esc etc..and the thickness of these depron layers was preventing it all folding flat..
also the depron had suffered too much flexing , it had softened up, and the rudder servo and battery plate was not firm.

so the front cloth panel and its depron layers was removed.. some 2mm ply was cut to fit between the frame rods and the ply was drilled so it could be lashed to the frame.. lashed and CA'd it makes a much firmer platform to take the servo and battery.. without adding much weight.... then the cloth was replaced around the ply ...
At this stage I was recoloring and noticed all my day glow had faded badly..So next I recolored the whole model..
The lighting is left in place, everything else is removed , including the horns so it all goes nice and flat
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:41 PM
Dark Yet??
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Dec 2009
1,527 Posts
I put LED strip on my delta and sewed some velcro on to hold the battery. Showed up nice.
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:50 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,007 Posts
Now all you need is to make it RC
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:47 AM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
Kites steering to the left

Hi Guys
Upon reading this thread, we're inspired to make the kites you made. I'm from Indonesia, and the components to make this kite are not easy to find, so we have to import it.
We're able to get a hold of a 1400Kv motor (http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001223685), And hooked a 8x4 blade in it. We powered it with 1200mAH 2S 20C battery

We measure with a torque gauge that with this combination, the motor can have a 280 gram torque.

The body of the kite consist of CF rods and we taped plastic all over it. We use the same size as Davereap's NightKite 1, featured on post#3. The overall weight is about 230 with the motor and battery attached.

Now the problem is it does not flies It kept on steering to the left no matter how we manipulate the elevons. It is also makes it impossible to control, we have some degree of control over decent/elevation, but it does not help when the kite keeps on turning left.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what might be the problem?
Any helps are appreciated!

Thanks!
mario.boz is offline Find More Posts by mario.boz
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:58 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestion on what might be the problem?
It's usually something more simple than you think Mario.

Does it balance from left to right? Maybe you have too much weight on the left.
Does everything look straight and level to the eye? Perhaps there's a twist somewhere.
Do the control surfaces move evenly and without any slop?
Does it glide nicely?
We usually mount the motor so that the thrust line is just a couple of degrees to the right and down. Just noticeable, not more than that.

That's all I can think of, and I've done most of those things wrong myself.

You can do it. Good luck.
nickchud is online now Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:53 AM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud View Post
Does it glide nicely?
Hi Nick
Thanks for the reply. balancing left and right side might be the thing, I havent test that one.

As for the glide test, do you test with the motor attached, or just the frame? do you fly it like a paper plane to test? is there any minimum glide distance to fly?
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:06 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,775 Posts
Hi Mario

for the glide test, I would keep the motor and battery in place. IMHO it's important to have the same wing loading and especially the same CoG, fore and aft as well as left to right.

If you can find some long grass or a weed patch to aim at, you might be able to manage a soft landing. The easy glide test is just to throw straight forward or even slightly down, as you would a paper dart. That should give you 20ft or so with the control surfaces at their mid-point. Then, if it swoops up, try and move the CoG forward and vice versa.

At the moment I'm just building something ambitious that I'm not confident about and I plan to use a bungee to launch and then see if I can control it in the glide. I don't think you need to go to that trouble.

There are lots of cleverer people than me on here and I'd be pleased to hear what they say.

Last edited by nickchud; Aug 01, 2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
Got it flying, *very* hard to control

Hi Nick
Finally we got it flying, thanks for the glide tips! It helps us gets to this stage.

We tried flying it last night, it can definitely fly, but we have major problem controlling it. up and down movement are easier, but it seems like we have little to no control over turning. When it turns so bad it kinds of stall, and slams to the ground. After several tries, we ends up breaking the CF rod that protects the blade up front. Nasty crash

Any tips on how you set the controller? How much % of movement, and which elevons are needed to make it move?

I wonder if there is any simulation software that allows us to practice first, we have 0 experience controlling RC planes yet. That might be an issue as well.

Thanks
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:52 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,775 Posts
Have you got some photos, drawings or videos?

One thing I find with planes that use elevons ... You really need to keep the nose down in the turns. That might help. You could try moving the CoG forward a bit.

Nick
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:44 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Do you have any gaps between the elevons and main body of the kite? These gaps are nasty as they allow prop wash to go through without gaining any or minimum movement from your control surfaces.

A photo will be a great help for us all..
KenChin is offline Find More Posts by KenChin
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:57 PM
IFO's are planes too
Petersburg, Va.
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
mario.boz, sounds like your banking too much and loosing lift.
Setup your elevon movement about half of which the elevons can travel.
Change that 8x4 to a 9"x3.8 slofly prop. No 3s lipos can be used with this prop; too much current draw.
Trim your kite so it fly strait and level, adjust the weight of gear by moving it forward or back.
Try a slight Lt or Rt by pushing the stick in that direction and pulling back on it at the same time, keeping the nose up. The slower the kite is moving the more back stick your going to need. Then bump the stick in opposite to level it out. No back stick needed to do this.
Learn to fly tight centers on your radio or the kite will go into a roll when you want it to turn. Fly during the day till you get the hang of it.

Hey Dave, you got mentioned on "The Crashcast" a podcast that Micheal " Crash" Hancock does; about two week ago, your famous now ?
Keep up the great work your doing here.
Al.
atone1 is offline Find More Posts by atone1
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:58 AM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
Hi Nick, Ken, and Atone.
Sorry for the slow reply. I didnt check this forum frequently. This is the picture of my kite. I use a transparent plastic sheet as a cover for the frame.

We did manage to get the kite flying straight. But the turns is still problematic. How do you manipulate the right and left elevons when turning? I usually just move one of them. Whenever the kite turns, it's usually lost all control and just went straight down.
I will send a video soon of the test flight.

One other thing that has made the progress really slow, is that we keep on destroying the kite with each fall. Mostly the motor mount that's broken, this is aluminum sheet, 2mm thick that's machined and bent. At the other time it is that curve in the front that's protecting the motor, it's a 3mm CF rod now.

What do you guys use as the motor mount? And how do you make the kite crashproof?