HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:53 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
Thanks Ken. I looked at some of your videos, but couldn't hear the motor over the background noise. Do you know of any almost silent power setups? The main reason for me to make a smaller kite is to fly late at night near sleeping neighbors. No point if it sounds like a power drill, like all my other planes.
Yup! Agree with Dave, small prop, high kv, sounds like a bz bee at night.. My KFO runs off a C20 Motor with 9x5, very very quiet.

I never fly with 3S in any of my kites. Like Dave, i would love to try the 1300 Blue Wonder.
KenChin is offline Find More Posts by KenChin
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:28 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,021 Posts
the maiden of the new W wing shape went well.. I am still adjusting the COG at the moment its at 35% from the nose so 7" back.. its still nose heavy if the loops are anything to go by.. although possibly it might simply be the higher mass making it loop large, It has a lot of up trim to fly level so I am guessing COG..inverted the nose was dropping badly so again that is indicating COG
Ive moved some of the gear positions now and the battery can be slid further back for the next flight..
new wing shape maiden(1).AVI (5 min 37 sec)
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Nov 30, 2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:30 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,126 Posts
Thanks. Noise is key, and there's no accurate way to tell how loud something is unless I buy it and try it. I really do need near silent for this purpose.
Just to illustrate, I have a very quiet setup that is more than fine anywhere during the day. 1300KV BW, 3s lipo, 8040 prop, run at half-throtle. Sounds like a very quiet small electric drill. I use it next door quite a bit. Difficult to hear over the daytime sounds. But when I take it out late at night, same place, you can hear a pin drop, and you can hear it quite far. Just last night the sound attracted a couple of drunks who then saw the night lights, and started yelling "UFO!!!!" at the top of their lungs, 2 AM. They made quite a scene. I can imagine others will hear what sounds like a small power tool late at night outside their house and be suspicious.

I was reading about noise here, and some I can build around. But I'm still a bit unclear about which motor, lipo, and prop to buy. There's not much I can do about those once I buy them.

For anyone else also interested in noise, a few points of interest. In short:
-unbalanced props/loose materials
-proximity of objects to prop (ie prop slots)
-resonance from those objects (ie depron sheets acting like a speaker)
-symmetry (ie 2 blade prop level with surface noisier than offset motor mount or 3 blade prop)
-prop shape (ie slow fly or sport)
-sub-1000 rpm prop
-frequency of noise (higher is more annoying to human ear)

I'm particularly interested in prop shape and motor size. I have no idea whats best. Do really small motors negate the RPM issue? Also, 'real world' purchase of reasonably priced equipment. Theory is one thing, but where can I buy it?

I'm glad to hear your good results on the BW Dave, as I have 2 1500kvs and a 1300kv. I'll try a 500 2s and ... 9047 slowfly? It looks like your hex kite has several "noise" factors I listed above in its favor.

BTW Ken, my 1300 BW is this one, $8.
BTW, what mw is your laser rated? I started a thread about lasers in the night section, but no nibbles. 5mw seems standard for indoor pointer types. I'm looking at a 50mw one off EBAY.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Last edited by TheNiceGuy; Nov 30, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2011, 03:45 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,021 Posts
you dont need much power in a lazer ..just a green version which shows up best...

For motors to turn a bigger slow fly prop use 2 cells and a lower kv motor.. use a watt meter to find the biggest prop the motor can spin without getting the motor too hot..
Make a light kite so you can fly on low power..

real world prices I have always gone for the cheap motors.. and they should be easily available..
smaller motors are usually more expensive, and of no particular benefit, unless you want a micro size kite..
the ones of the blue wonder type are usually the cheapest.. and there are lots of equal types now available.. one of which is your link... all silver but the same basic type..looks like hobbyking is available for you so there is your source..
they are good motors, if you are not too heavy handed with their wires..
Its possible that if you use a bigger motor with a big prop, then you might only need a fraction of its power to fly your kite, this will mean lower revs and less noise..perhaps thats worth trying..

At night its always going to be difficult keeping noise down, when there is no breeze the sound will go a long way..
you are aware of all the factors, so its trial and error as to what works best.
drunks cant be avoided, also large groups of youngsters come to see the ufo can be noisy..
I even had the police drive up on the field behind me whilst I was flying.. their lights lit up the field better than mine did...lol
Old Dec 01, 2011, 02:51 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,799 Posts
Quote:
drunks cant be avoided, also large groups of youngsters come to see the ufo can be noisy..
I even had the police drive up on the field behind me whilst I was flying.. their lights lit up the field better than mine did...lol
Hah! right on Dave!
nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Dec 02, 2011, 10:22 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,021 Posts
Ive had another session with the new kite design.. I am now very happy with it, so the next job will be to light it up..

These "W" wing heart shape designs are a joy to fly.. relaxing, slow or fast...no problem...built in foam KFm4 they are also superb..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504784

video...ignore the dates shown... my little cam wont hold the correct setting
W wing night-kite 2nd session (3 min 57 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Dec 04, 2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:16 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,021 Posts
all lit up...22 leds
Old Dec 05, 2011, 11:53 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,865 Posts
Lots of LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
all lit up...22 leds
I am impressed! I seem to have this thing for colored lights, especially if they blink on and off to some sort of pattern. I don't think this is practical for your RC Flyer, but it sure makes an attractive picture.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Last edited by Tsavah; Dec 05, 2011 at 11:54 PM. Reason: spelling ...
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:48 AM
IFO's are planes too
Petersburg, Va.
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Looks good Dave with all those leds. So are you happy now?
Al.
atone1 is offline Find More Posts by atone1
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:58 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,021 Posts
yes the model will be fine as it is.. I am hoping it will dismantle and fold fully flat for going in a suitcase, but if it doesnt go flat enough I will be removing the tips for travel.. then rebinding everything once Ive arrived..
Its no great hastle to lash and CA thethree main structure bits back together, and this structure has a much better rigidity than the Nutbal foldup I made for last year, that had far to much flex and control suffered as the flex increased after a few landings..

Now I am thinking of going smaller in the same design.. something downsize that will go ok on the blue wonder type of motor, and be even easier to take away..

watch out for radio interference with blinking led's we use 35Mhz and I had glitching problems with flashing lights... on 2.4 likely it will be ok, but I havnt tried it as yet..
Last edited by davereap; Dec 06, 2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:52 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,021 Posts
at last a chance of a night flight, I got in quick before it blew up and the rain started again..
sorry the cam is my usual gumpack dv job and it doesnt do well at night

flying and orientation is no problem, although I might add a tailfin light..or not....
W wing night flight (1 min 46 sec)
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:21 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,021 Posts
The last mod will be to swap the rear pair of blue leds for whites.. they can then be bent to shine up the tailfin.. this last pair are mid way back directly below the fin..
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:21 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Here's my update to this thread...
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:35 PM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
She's almost ready to fly...
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:32 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,865 Posts
Nite Light Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenChin View Post
She's almost ready to fly...
Hope the video isn't too dark to see the kite. Thanks for sharing.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah