HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:27 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,020 Posts
My Nutball kites are just that, copies of the Nutball but in CF and cloth..same tip dihedral etc..
The one previous will be W shaped with even higher dihedral...or polyhedral..

simple central dihedral , has not been tried..

They fly much the same as the foam versions.. although I do prefer foam models with KF steps as you know..

double motors havnt been done as far as I know, it overcomplicates things for me.. better a larger single motor

for fpv wouldnt it be better to have the camera right up on the front, with a mid or rear motor setup ....and? why use a kite build, surely foam will be miles cheaper... the kite build is really all about the lighting for night flights
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Nov 15, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:23 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,020 Posts
The holiday kites frame is done..and even uncovered it is nice and rigid
In the pic I have colored the bracing rods that make it all rigid.. red go across the top of the W yellow go accross the bottom..
when dis-assembled the frame will lay flat, you then fold it to the W shape, lash and CA the folding joints.. add the cross bracing and lash and CA.. lash and CA the motor mount .
The process shouldnt take long.. then for taking home all the lashings are cut off and the kite folded flat again

sorry about the flash causing some double lines...all the frame work is single rods , a mix of 3 and 2mm, except the curved elevons and rudder which are made with two thinner rods to make getting the curve easier..
EDIT..... I am now waiting for some white ripstop nylon from ebay..I thought I would give Kens covering method a go.. I only hope ripstop takes the fluroescent marker pens..
Last edited by davereap; Nov 18, 2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 06:58 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,020 Posts
Ive had a first go with white ripstop and run into a few problems...
The material is thinner than my dressmaking liner at 0.06mm vs 0.08mm.. so thats a plus point and its nicely airtight..and strong
The cloth can be shrunk with a lower temp craft type hot air gun to remove wrinkles..all the creases in the pics came out easily with some hot air..more plusses

Its also more easy to slice through ,not so clever, perhaps because of the thickness...thats slice, with a sharp blade , not rip, neither can be ripped by hand

Unfortunately in color it is more transparent and less white, and as you will see from the pics it doesn't take the color fluro markers very well..so I am not happy with the results and it will be coming off..... The poor white color was further spoiled by quite a few drip runs, so it looks poor to say the least.... using colored cloths for decor would have been best..

Second problem, which will need practice, is putting on too much CA... drips that run, spoil the looks..thats my bad.. I also was worrying that the fix to the rods is not strong enough, but further setting overnight shows it is fine...

Last problem..I am seriously allergic to the cheap CA vapors even in a ventilated room, and after spreading so much of the stuff arround, I have been suffering like a very bad hay fever attack.... perhaps the odorless CA might be ok, otherwise its back to the old method..of the wrap using uhu por.. that will work with either cloth, but which looks untidy compared to the close cut of the ripstop when CA'd to the rods..
Last edited by davereap; Nov 19, 2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:42 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,020 Posts
Despite the previous problems,I am still using the ripstop.. I bought it so I will use it.. I also bought some of the odorless foam safe CA and continued by covering the center section..
What made it worth carrying on was the thicker odorless CA was making a better job , without the allergy kicking in, Also I tried some coloring markers on the previous section and a lot of my faults are now not so noticeable..
I used a mix of fluro highlighters and marker pens to color the whole of the fabric, now its not so shabby..
Whist covering I have been removing bracing rods and then adding tape to the ends and the locations where they will be braced.. the tape makes removing the binding easier without damaging the rods as you cut it off.. In the pics you might see that as yellow and green stripy tape..

Note the wrinkles came back.. hot air only removes them temporally, so try to get the fabric on smooth in the first place, that is possible, as the ripstop fabric is a bit easier to tension up as you go, compared to the dressmaking material I have been using...
However the dressmaking material will shrink under heat and the wrinkes stay gone..
Last edited by davereap; Nov 21, 2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:24 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,020 Posts
Ive finished the covering and coloring.. some additional bracing rods were also added to make the frame fully rigid..
The small ply and balsa blocks on the wing are for servos.. they sandwich one of the CF rods on the wing

area at this size is 6.4sqft... weight of the airframe so far is 8.5oz... target sub 20oz with gear and lights
Last edited by davereap; Nov 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:24 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,126 Posts
Dave, do you know much about these kites? It looks just like what I want for the parking lot, park with the kids. At $45 It may be not much more that ordering a box of CF sticks from HK?
http://www.r2hobbies.com/jp/proddeta...prod=rcpl81040
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:20 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,997 Posts
Might have to look at this one from R2Hobbies a little more later myself.
However, $45 looked just to be the frame. Add motor/esc/servos and it's up to over $90. I've got a pitiful computer here so I will have to look more tonight; but shipping probably would tack on another 20-30...
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:06 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,126 Posts
ah, ya, forgot shipping. Thats about $10 extra for me the cheap way. I assume shipping onb their chaert is for 487g. I already have all the electronics (doable) except motor, prop, lipos - which I thought hobbyking may have. At $55, perhaps CF sticks from HK would be better. Make a IFO, or I'm curious to try one of my porpoise kites with CF. Probably have enough spares to build another and repairs.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:21 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,020 Posts
there is a couple of pictures at post 910 and a sketchup file for the layout... the rod layout is simple enough, so a straight forward build.. with not too many rods needed, so not too much cost to build yourself..over here the cost to build it yourself I estimate at about 20..then you add the gear..
If you use sketchup the rods can be individually selected and the info box will tell you the lengths needed, from that you can better work out the costs..remember to add an inch on each length for the cross over and binding...
It should be cheaper to DIY , and even though most times DIY cant acheive the quality of a purchased model, I prefer to do it myself
Last edited by davereap; Nov 23, 2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:55 PM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
I would love to make that butterfly next... But here's an update on my builds. A friend ask me to make one for him.
KenChin is offline Find More Posts by KenChin
Old Nov 23, 2011, 08:04 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,997 Posts
Ken ... Wish I had a friend like you!!
I'd gladly pay good $$ for just the frame like you've got there ....
(Hint Hint ... Anyone looking to make some extra $$ for the holidays?? )

They look great Ken!!
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:23 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,126 Posts
Dave, I think you're right on that. I'll take another look at HK CF. Last time I looked they were sold out of half the sizes, and I wasn't exactly sure what sizes to get as replacements. IIUC, tubes are for light, stiff, no bends. Rods bend, but need to be thin to do sharper bends such as a bumper? They max out at 75cm lengths, but I remember a few tips for joins another thread. I imagine coming from fiberglass it doesn't matter what thickness I get it will be almost weightless.
Ken, the elevons are huge. I assume its the long nose off the front with electronics for weight that gets teh CoG correct?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:52 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Here's the electronics layout on the kite. Also note the extra removable extensions to the wing tips. I use a RC Switch to on/off in flight.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 01:25 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,126 Posts
What is the purpose of leaving empty fabric spots in the frame?

Ya, just checked hobbyking. All sold out of everything CF except 10mm tubes and stuff like that. Anyone know of other sources for the correct sized CF rods and tubes? Or is preorder safe - says mid November...
Last edited by TheNiceGuy; Nov 24, 2011 at 04:30 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 03:03 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Erm... design i supposed?