HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:44 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,877 Posts
KenChin... you will be ok ... just dial it down till you get the feel for it... Ive got mine dialed down and it still does twinkle rolls and loops in a few feet..
Crashdumby
You should be ok with the zlowest.. it flies real slow and steady by the looks of the video..just try not to get into any vertical power dives, sometimes the elevons are a bit flexi and the are slow to pull out..remember to fly at the lowest throttle setting to keep it steady...

playing with the throttle is good practice on all these kites. different manouvers are easier at different throttle settings..and now I use the throttle as much as I would use the elevons or rudder/elevator

go back a good few years and I would be going round with full power for most of the time, wizzing around with an overweight glow powered big lump...never again..

tim
I am always plugging the nutballs..it is without doubt my favorite plane.. because it will fly very slow or wild..if you havnt built one at all you are missing out
Since you live by the water check this out
RC Nutball on floats (1 min 9 sec)

and the build
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...s#post10887775

you could be the first to fly a kite from water at night

Even a big 32" nutball will fly out of a small area and it is easy to fly so slow at higher alpha.. that you will be able to land it on the spot every time, or hand catch it.
My flying buddy now has lights on his 32" depron nutball and this works well, its not as pretty as the 32"kite version but no problems at night..
For even closer flying in lighter wind conditions try a 24" ball..For a great all round sports plane make a 32" one.. they realy are truly great...
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Apr 21, 2009 at 07:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:06 PM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Here's my build progress so far. I've got the RX and Servos in and all programmed up in my Multiplex Cockpit SX. Will put in the motor mount (Still doing research on that) and ESC, and battery for COG adjustments.

Dave, where's the COG again? 5 1/2 inches below the horizontal bar (motor mount area)?
KenChin is offline Find More Posts by KenChin
Old Apr 23, 2009, 03:56 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,877 Posts
5-5.5 will do nicely... looking good but you might want some color to help orientation...considering how fast it will loop and roll... Ive been applying designs with marker pens... that does the job and makes your kite a one off..
I can see from your collection of models you will be ok on the Simple.. however do use loads of expo at the start untill you get used to it...

Heres where I am... I was going to build a bigger Simple..but I built a smaller 24" nutball instead... tim wants a small area flier...the big Nutball will certainly do but a smaller one might be better..so I thought I would give it a go

I also wanted something using my smaller batteries...like the Simple ..but easier and more relaxing to fly..
It is built from 2.5mm rods..main .. done
2mm for the elevator 1.5 mm for the rudder...to do

motor mount will be one of my tube fixings ... use 5 degrees down minimum and a couple of degrees right for the thrust line.
motor will be a blue wonder... 3cells .. 9x4.7 gws.. 2x 5gm servos... 12A esc.. hitec rec..

edit
ive since scrapped the 24" nutball... go 32-36 for a nice flier..the bigger ones are much better in wind
Last edited by davereap; May 29, 2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 08:55 AM
TREE TOP PILOT
United States, IN, Greenfield
Joined Feb 2007
1,799 Posts
Yea i thought it would be a little squrely.How much throw should i have on the evelons.So it would be more tame and not to hard to control?.....Randy
crashdumby is offline Find More Posts by crashdumby
Old Apr 23, 2009, 01:14 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,877 Posts
Always go by whats in the instructions.. the movements must be there somewhere..the zlowest does not look highly aerobatic in the video, so dont worry..

I take it back..there is no mention that I can see of movements and the advert says the plane can be both gentle or aerobatic ...so for aerobatics set for big movements.. softened with a lot of expo if the radio will do that and set your downrates at about half of the full travel..
If the supplied radio is not that programable
It also might be worth emailing the company to get there views on how best to set up the radio or movements.

last resort set for just a couple of inches of travel each way and work up from there

good luck

heres where ive got now
Last edited by davereap; Apr 23, 2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 08:08 PM
TREE TOP PILOT
Joined Feb 2007
1,799 Posts
Thanks dave yes those do look like a.b.Well my radio does have programable settings,dual rate,expo,elivon mixing and such.Just never set up a plane before.But thats the fun part.Just instuctions dont say much just pictures.I did get it coverd tonite so wont be long now.Thanks for the help....Randy
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:45 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Randy! Looking good! I believe you would want to weigh her before you fly. Adding lights means adding weight. Don't know if your original motor/esc setup would be enough.

Dave, i am going to maiden my ProIII tomorrow morning at a nearby flying field. Wish me luck!
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:49 AM
TREE TOP PILOT
Joined Feb 2007
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenChin
Randy! Looking good! I believe you would want to weigh her before you fly. Adding lights means adding weight. Don't know if your original motor/esc setup would be enough.

Dave, i am going to maiden my ProIII tomorrow morning at a nearby flying field. Wish me luck!
Hmmmm i thought a 2200rpm/v 45W Outrunner Brushless Motor would carry a few lights.They sell a light kit for it.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 05:50 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,877 Posts
good luck to both of you

randy.... looking good
when you set your radio have a lot of throw 45degrees-ish on 100% up rates, down rates at 50% of that..and the expo is usually set as a percentage a negative - value will give you less movement near the centre stick position.. this is what you need, it makes it easier to give the tiny inputs needed for gentle flying...as the stick goes further out the movements of the surfaces increase ..finally full stick will give full movement.. start the expo at high numbers -70 or -80..
As you get the hang of the plane you can reset to suit..

I always fly with very high -values set on the expo as I like the softer control you get.. it lets you have a lot more precision in your flying, but you still have the ability to move the stick further to get more control movements.

motors ...the 2200 motor might be a bit of a faster spiner than you need...a 1300 ish motor would swing a bigger SFprop that much slower and give you slower flights..
I prefer the 1300 blue wonders
these things.. http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1787
with 3 cells a 9x4.7 prop or 2 cells 10x4.7
Ive a couple of the 2200 motors and use them 3cells on faster planes .... however if that came with the kit use 2 cells and whatever prop is recommended.. I am sure it will fly ok..

Big reminder... throttle down.... fly it as slow as possible when you start.. that will be easier for all kites.. get it trimmed for steady slowish flight. then go higher to fly at speed and get used to that..

My flying is mostly low and slow for a relaxing flight... but when the kite goes well I tend to push my limits.. low loops and rolls etc... with unexpected crash tests as a result..
Last edited by davereap; Apr 24, 2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 06:19 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,877 Posts
Heres where the 24" Nutball build is at

Ive added the usual depron fuz and used depron for the rudder, just untill the 1.5mm rods come..the 2mm rods were too stiff to give the bend
the depron fuz is always 3" wide whatever the kite.. this will take 3 parallel strips of velcro for holding the radio and battery.. the servos are fitted in holes cut through the depron..the motor mount is a tube type which tied below the fuz rod at the correct thrust angles.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 06:37 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Dave, nice build there. I just got back from the hobby stores for more prop, unfortunately they don't have the 1300 motor that you mentioned otherwise relatively expensive. Anyway, i am going to give the 1600kv BL Motor a shot with 7" prop on 2S battery.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 01:41 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,877 Posts
Now its all covered and I am working on some UC legs

A 1600 on two cells should take a slightly larger prop than that. Perhaps an 8x4..
do you have a watt meter to help select the best prop ?
Old Apr 25, 2009, 09:39 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
The maiden of my ProIII didn't go quite well. My friend launch it for me while i throttle up. Flew just enough power but the ripstop was kinda loose, i flew around quite a bit with about 1/2 throttle. If i push further, the kite tend to catch the prop wash and goes into a dive. Full elevator didn't help much, hit the ground shattered the 'bumper'! Back to the drawing board again...

Nothing else broken except the bumper CF piece. I was kinda creative last night and i build the foam zlowest from the plans posted. Photos attached...
Old Apr 25, 2009, 09:42 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Dave! I bet you can come out with the BEST kite for this piece of material. Give me your address to send the 'Chinese kite' material for you. See photo!
Old Apr 25, 2009, 03:43 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,877 Posts
hi KenChin...
sorry the Simple type was a problem..if you can get some use glass fibre rod for the bumper, it is more flexible and harder to break.. recheck the thrust line and use a 5" COG so you need a bit of up to hold level flight.loose fabric should not cause the kite to dive.. it should pull out easily as mine loops in about 4 ft or less if the cog is ok. If it gets in a dive and doesnt recover , it is most likely the elevons are too flexible ..or the servos are too weak, less likely..or the COG is way too far forward, unlikely..my Simple uses the cheap 9gm servos and these are more than ok.... for strength I always put an extra rod from the horn position going parallel to the bend of the elevon..see pic1
trying the build using foam is a good idea.. you could do the same for the Simple. or any new design

That material is well pretty I will send my address and thank you..I will certainly try to build a kite to do it justice

Here also are the continued pics for the small Nutball build.. it is all done now, just waiting on the winds to die down again
setup on this ....axi2208/34 3 cells 800-1000mA 9x5 prop..18A esc...2x9gm servos..hitec rec..
The axi gives loads of power, but again it was a case of wanting a bit extra weight up front when using my smallest battery.. so I stuck on a heavier motor
I will get the AUweight when I find a battery for my scales
Last edited by davereap; May 29, 2009 at 06:20 AM.