HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2009, 08:32 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,792 Posts
Ive just put the lights on a 1200mm Fancy.The red yellow and green are on white. also some blues but the blues are mostly over the pink cloth

note the blues are under the pink front section so are best seen from below.. all the other lights are on top of the white cloth.. all colors go through the white with no problem

the blues have been fading at distance so here I am trying them below, hoping I will be able to see them better
total 34 lights
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; May 29, 2009 at 06:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:53 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
620 Posts
That's amazing!! Looks like the real thing back in Singapore! I hope you don't stir up UFO Hoax in Kent.

I am having a blast building the ProIII. Currently the main frame is done, the two D elevon is made and covered. But i slowed down as the 'future' in laws are here.

Will show you guys photos of the build later...
KenChin is offline Find More Posts by KenChin
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:55 AM
TREE TOP PILOT
United States, IN, Greenfield
Joined Feb 2007
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
Ive just put the lights on a 1200mm diamonds.The red yellow and green are on white. also some blues but the blues are mostly over the pink cloth

note the blues are under the pink front section so are best seen from below.. all the other lights are on top of the white cloth.. all colors go through the white with no problem

the blues have been fading at distance so here I am trying them below, hoping I will be able to see them better
Wow that looks nice.Good job!!
crashdumby is online now Find More Posts by crashdumby
Old Apr 19, 2009, 03:16 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,792 Posts
My photos and video never show how well they actually look in real life.. In the dark , flying, they look so so very good..

weve high winds here at the moment.. nice and sunny but very windy so flying is off for a while...

I actually flew the Simple in the wind.. it coped just about, but it was flying in reverse when throttled back... I landed it going backwards then gave up
Last edited by davereap; May 29, 2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 05:37 PM
TREE TOP PILOT
Joined Feb 2007
1,768 Posts
butterflyer

Ive got the frame done,going to start on the wheels next.
Cant wait to get it covered.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 03:14 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,792 Posts
Am I correct in that all the rods are cut to the exact length in that kit ?
It would explain why they use the heatshrink to fix it all together, and then bind the joints for strength.
It would give a flatter airframe with less cross over points.. mind you I dont think our cross overs make any difference to how they fly...

I like the design of the elevons, they are butterfly like, and large compared to our D shapes..

heres its video a nice slow flier kit
3Ch RC Carbon Airframe Zlowest Night Flyer (1 min 15 sec)
Last edited by davereap; May 29, 2009 at 06:13 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 06:23 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,792 Posts
Ive been wringing out the Simple, the wind is much better today..

I still think this is one of the two top designs. I was doing figure eights around and through a soccer goal, low loops and twinkle rolls ..hovering...it will do the lot easily..
I also managed a head on crash test on a high speed run going through the goal posts... those posts are only 4" wide but I hit one square on...
NO damage... this shows the benifit of that loose bumper bar.. although it is held tightly under tension it will slide back into the tubes..but as it goes back in the curve has the effect of tightening up the hold.. so it works like spring shock absorbers. this plus the natural bendiness of the rod reduced the impact.. no broken prop either..

I would recomend using a 3mm fibreglass bumper if you can get some.. it is bendier and stronger then the CF rod

next build a bigger Simple design for the windier days
Last edited by davereap; May 29, 2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:17 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
620 Posts
Here's my build of the ProIII. Really enjoy building it.. hopefully it flies well too.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:17 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,792 Posts
its looking good.... it will fly well.... mine flys better than I can fly it...
what is your skill level for flying?

because the Simple needs some skill to fly it, it rolls so fast..and loops in a few feet... it is very sensitive..
Last edited by davereap; May 29, 2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:20 AM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined May 2006
507 Posts
Hey Dave,

I have pretty well read the entire thread and want to say thanks for all the good info here I have done some pricing on carbon fiber rods and it appears that I could easily buy a IFO or the Zlowest and have money left. Is there a disadvantage in purchasing one of these compared to scratching your own? Im thinking I will spend 60.00 dollars just in rod if I build my own.
Which one of the 2 do you think would make a better night kite?

Regards,

Tim
Merlin1205 is offline Find More Posts by Merlin1205
Old Apr 20, 2009, 02:34 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,792 Posts
Depends on your skill level ...the ifo is most like the Simple highly aerobatic.the zlowest seems to be a gentle flyer

I think your rod pricing might be a bit off.. the IFO is a very simple design like the Simple and I should be able to make one for about 20-25 your rods are cheaper by a 1/4 in the USA so your cost should be less about 30-35$ it will take 7or 8 x1m rods to build an IFO mk3 + the cloth, glue etc....they cost 54$ to buy...So they are actually not too overpriced as a kit..

best for night flying.... ???? flying at night is no more difficult than flying in the daytime...so again its how do you like to fly... gentle or wild that determines what is best for you

For me theres' no choice now.... its my overpowered nutball.... sorry about that, its just so good to fly, night or day
Last edited by davereap; May 29, 2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 03:49 PM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined May 2006
507 Posts
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the info, I consider myself an average sunday flyer. I have been flying since 1978. I tried pattern , scale and some ducted fans. I wasn't to concerned with being able to fly either one honestly. I just want something to fly in the backyard at night. Sounds like the IFO MKIII would fit the bill niceley.
As for the pricing of the rods I was looking at Midwest carbon rods, I'm sure they are not the cheapest. The reason I asked about which would be better was in reference to being able to fly it in a small area at night, my backyard is like 100'X200'. The rest is all water as I live on a lake.

Though now you have me thinking of building the nutball

Thanks again

Tim
Merlin1205 is offline Find More Posts by Merlin1205
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:59 PM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
its looking good.... it will fly well.... mine flys better than I can fly it...
what is your skill level for flying?

because the pro3 needs some skill to fly it, it rolls so fast..and loops in a few feet... it is very sensitive..
I am quite okay with flying. Made quite a few DIY planes with 5mm depron and am comfortable flying nitro also.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 09:27 PM
TREE TOP PILOT
Joined Feb 2007
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenChin
I am quite okay with flying. Made quite a few DIY planes with 5mm depron and am comfortable flying nitro also.
Im a rookie at planes.I fly quadrotor aircraft aka helis.I hope this butterflyer IFO is slow and forgiving to learn on.Going put the covering on soon.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:27 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdumby
Im a rookie at planes.I fly quadrotor aircraft aka helis.I hope this butterflyer IFO is slow and forgiving to learn on.Going put the covering on soon.
Can't wait to see your butterfly IFO. You're new to planes, new to elevon (Elevator & Aileron), might be slightly catchy to fly.