HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2009, 06:34 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
And moving straight on to the next project.. see post 147
This large NK6-superfly has over 4 sqft area and so will have a low wing loading..and should fly fast and slow..My depron version has a wide speed range..
I am going to use some balsa step/spars to make this with the KFm4 section, having fabric over the lights
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Feb 27, 2009 at 09:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2009, 07:38 AM
singapore
Joined Feb 2009
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
And moving straight on to the next project.. see post 147
This large NK6-superfly has over 4 sqft area and so will have a low wing loading..and should fly fast and slow..My depron version has a wide speed range..
I am going to use some balsa step/spars to make this with the KFm4 section, having fabric over the lights

cool... i had this idea of making almost the same design coz my wife wanna kite that looks like a heart shape....

Iz
Teamnightflyer is offline Find More Posts by Teamnightflyer
Old Feb 26, 2009, 07:41 AM
singapore
Joined Feb 2009
58 Posts
Quote:
Its ok Iz
The problem is not with the kite, but that I want it to fly slower than it can, then when I fly it too slow it stalls..The bigger elevons made this stall happen at higher speed.

Checking against your video its speed is much the same.

watching your video very closely, near the middle there is a point where at distance, you try to roll, then it looks like you had a problem with it flicking out similar to what my version was doing..can you remember what it did
Dave, the video u saw was my maiden flight for F-02... will make another video of what F-02 can do sometime next week.... but ofcourse, it can't hover.....
Old Feb 26, 2009, 09:55 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
A heart shape should be just a minor change in the build.. good idea...
This time I am trying the prop in a slot layout.. It works ok for a depron build, why not this...
Old Feb 26, 2009, 04:25 PM
singapore
Joined Feb 2009
58 Posts
Quote:
A heart shape should be just a minor change in the build.. good idea...
This time I am trying the prop in a slot layout.. It works ok for a depron build, why not this...
dnt think it be good if you bend it that way..... something will goes wrong.....
Old Feb 27, 2009, 05:02 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
Sorry IZ ....that wasnt meant as a working design... you will need to work that for yourself

Here is the final design for a Superfly kite, hopefully everything is correct..

sketchup is a uesfull program...with just the lines/rods selected it will tell you how much rod you will be using..and give you an idea of how many you will need.
unfortunately our rod comes only in 1M lengths so you will get some wastage, when the lengths dont work out .... Always buy a couple of extra bits..
Similarly if you select all the faces it gives the total area....
At 4.5sqft and 38" span the wing loading will be a lot less than the falcon design which had 2.8 sqft... so hopefully the slow end speed will be lower..I just remeasured the areas for the NK1 kite....6 sqft..no wonder it can fly so very veryslow.. at 14.5oz the wing loading is only 2.4oz sqft..
last pic a resize for 6sqft area take the span to 44" only an extra 6" on the span..But a lot more rods to buy because of the wastage on the lengths you need...(at least 10 rods)
Plans for the varied sizes are here and show the resulting area..I am thinking of the 40" build and 5sqft ...smaller = faster larger = slower, but even the 38" version will only be arround the 4oz sqft loading, and most likely lower..
The zip contains the sketchup file and to resize just use the tapemeasure tool on the span and enter the span you want, then ok the resize

Looking at my 38"depron clone the Superflys shape and tail fins will give me the opertunity to add bracing rods between the tops of the fins and from the tops of the fins down to the wing, making a much stronger and stiffer structure..
The capricorn has had the best structure so far, the W shape and the bracing, produced a lovely stiff result.
Flat designs flex a lot. ... they still work ok but they bounce a lot..
Last edited by davereap; Feb 27, 2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 07:01 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
Ive been dismantling the falcon design, to re-use the rods, It had a few hard landings, nothing I thought major, but in several places the impact stresses had broken the 2mm rods.. so be warned, use heavier rods for the main framework, or double up on the 2's, and bind them together every couple of inches, for shapes where you cant bend the 3mm. I used 2x2mm on the front bumper to make an easy bend ..this didnt break..
.....3mm main rods seems ok on the bigger designs. they should be ok unless you crash hard
Last edited by davereap; Feb 27, 2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:52 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
We have a superb night here today...so I went flying
I will get some video soon, but Ive flown the capricorn at night and it is great..no great is not good enough, more superb, brilliant etc....
I altered the lighting slightly from the still picture, so that the reds and greens point more down directly at the fabric rather than along the fabric as in the still photo.. also a red and green at the tip on each wing were pointed straight forward and backward.. the whites at the front were also bent more down onto the fabric except for odd one which points forward..
The blues remain pointing at the oposite surface in the middle of the W..

This was done to reduce the direct glare of the LEDs and was 100% successfull..
The plane illuminates beautifully and can be seen as high and as far as I can fly it, with no problems in orientation...
Last edited by davereap; Feb 28, 2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 01:42 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
Test flying the night kite.. Sorry about the quality, my camera person was using the eye hole rather than the rear screen and also zooming , she was having trouble and so was the camera.. this had problems focusing as the plane was not central, and it was pulling in too much light, making the lights overbright.. the centre white lights are blue in real life..

using the zoom at night ...not a good idea..and she should have used the rear screen at night.. when we get our problems sorted I will put up a better video

I would say to all... its easy to fly at night, and with the lighting even easier to orientate at night than in the day time. On a clear night I am able to fly higher and at greater distance than I do in the day time.. That surprised me
Night Kite NK4 Capricorn Evolution test flight (3 min 13 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Mar 01, 2009 at 04:34 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 09:23 PM
singapore
Joined Feb 2009
58 Posts
Hi guys,

This is a thread i found in the net and forums... after reading this, im glad i did not buy a kite from them.... they only have one thing in their mind which is selling an item that have not exist in other country yet to make a profit only... not only overseas cutomers, even local customers a getting a ripped off from the... i myself made a beginner kite like them and it cost me less than SG$500 compare to wat they are selling at a price of SG$800-SG$900 for a beginner set.... they have ignore the meaning of hobby.. thats why i support dave decision when he wanted to make a rc kite from himself and im glad if i can give out some pointers for him to continue making a kite... below are some links of after sales svc and tactic from a genuine customers both local and overseas. Pls make time to read it and inform your friends who have the intentions to buy from them.. thks

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4549675/tm.htm
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593315 (read Post #05)
http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic50761.html

NOTE: im not trying to condemn them or anything... just that you can buy the same item at a cheaper price of the same quality....or better still, do like wat dave and i did. Built our own RC Kite where we can be proud off...

there is a shop selling the rc kite. you may want to check it. they sell it ard 1/2 the price of GFK, they have the parts more more cheaper than GFK. here's the link

http://shop.rotor.com.sg/ (Click on Excellent Rc Kite on the left column)

To Dave: This is where i got all my parts for my kite, it may be a bit help for you... just tell them i recommend you.. the counter will know me...

Regards,
Iz
Last edited by Teamnightflyer; Feb 28, 2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2009, 04:15 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
Thanks Iz
I have found the parts under .. Excellence rc kite ...spare parts ..page 2

http://shop.rotor.com.sg/prod-list.asp

I totaly agree with you, the GFK products are too expensive, even if they were ready to fly products. At least I would have expected a nice computer radio set in with them for their price of 700S$ + postage for the SB42 kite, but you only get a basic set..
I can build almost any kite design for about 30. under 70 singapore $.. 43US$ for the parts, not counting my time in the cost..(these are UK prices and we get ripped off her with added on taxes.. your prices are usually better example 1x3mm CF.rod = 3)
and the simplest kite the pro3 ,IFO,excellence type for under 20..

It would be nice to find a low cost alternative to the CF rods, so I will keep looking.. the only low cost alternative ive found is on some large umbrellers, where the spokes are made from fibreglass. If you can find them on offer they are worth buying.. and if you can find one broken in a bin , even better.

If anyone can provide nice clear direct top views of any of theGFK kites, or any others, I can use the sketchup progran and copy out a plan for the rods positions in less than 30 minutes..then you can make your own..

edit The Nutball plans at post 24 have been redrawn for a 32" nutball and are improved, and the sketchup file is also updated
Last edited by davereap; Mar 01, 2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2009, 12:05 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,022 Posts
Hi Dave,
I have been watching the thread for a while. Nice projects and certainly good results. Nice to have input from someone that lives at the source for these planes as well. You guys are doing a great job. I have a few design ideas and I will have to give one a try for when the weather gets a little warmer.

You mentioned Fiberglass rods for a substitute for CF. Not sure if this helps any but here is a link to a source for all sorts of kite parts. They are in the US so there would be the usual shipping and takes. Maybe there is a similar source somewhere in the UK?

http://ecom.citystar.com/hang-em-hig...=show&cat=RODS

Keep up the great work and good luck with your designs. I am looking forward to some Kite style night flying in my future.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Mar 02, 2009, 03:13 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
Thanks for the info .. I finally found a good cheap shop for the UK

http://www.freespiritkites.com/system/index.htm

3mmx125cm GF rod is 65 pence ...the standard price of a 3mmx100 CF rod is 300pence...3
Their ripstop is about the same price as my polyester..2.50/metre
They also have some 3mm connectors similar to IZ's 30p each

now all I need is for them to answer their phone... I want to check their stock before I order

If and when you build, please add your design and progress to this thread or start your own new thread but please keep us posted on here as well...dave
Last edited by davereap; Mar 02, 2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2009, 05:43 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
Ive been playing with motors and batteries today, testing my batteries to see what is and what's not working good enough...
I have been using my batteries, recharging the next day, then leaving them fully charged untill I use them again...This is a bad move... do not leave batteries fully charged, unused for much time... they go sick quickly..
For the last 6 months I have not been using my smaller batteries enough and now most of them have lost at least half or more of their go.. their capacity is still ok, but the max ammount of amps they can give out has gone down, most to 1/3 of what they should put out... Its an expensive lesson.. I am trying to run them through a few cycles of use, hoping they will recover, but ive been told this wont really help..

As a test motor I tried an emax 2215/20 with a 9x5 prop, It weighs 10gm more than the big bells.
This is another step up It will draw 19A max with a 9x5 and will put out 35oz static thrust .. I used this to check if my batteries would cope with the current draw ..
So if you want a lot more go...have a look at it.. here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Emax-BL2215%2F...201112003r2506

I am going to replace the big bell on the nutball with this motor, I needed a bit more weight up front for the COG and this will help.. I will also get a 2:1 power:weight ratio, so it shold go nice and still fly around on just 1/4 throttle,
which should be nice and quiet.
Old Mar 02, 2009, 05:59 AM
singapore
Joined Feb 2009
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxspode
Hi Dave,
I have been watching the thread for a while. Nice projects and certainly good results. Nice to have input from someone that lives at the source for these planes as well. You guys are doing a great job. I have a few design ideas and I will have to give one a try for when the weather gets a little warmer.

You mentioned Fiberglass rods for a substitute for CF. Not sure if this helps any but here is a link to a source for all sorts of kite parts. They are in the US so there would be the usual shipping and takes. Maybe there is a similar source somewhere in the UK?

http://ecom.citystar.com/hang-em-hig...=show&cat=RODS

Keep up the great work and good luck with your designs. I am looking forward to some Kite style night flying in my future.

Rob...
Hi Rob..

Appreciate that your interested in wat we are doing... if you have a new design.. pls do let us know an we will try to build it..... or better yet, you might want to build it yourself...

Regards
Iz