HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2009, 06:44 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,841 Posts
Cool
RC Night-Kites night fliers

Edited....
I wondered if youve seen these RC kites from singapore.. http://www.goflykite.com/

From the look of them they derived from the IFO carbon fibre method of construction and control... now they come in a variety of shapes and are equiped for night flying..

some of them fly very well and look even better all lit up at night..check out their website for some nice videos...the best video being the new product test video on the gallery page
http://www.goflykite.com/video/Test_Flight.html
Isnt that just too smooth....wow

Re: Cool flying RC kites (1 min 33 sec)

GoFlyKite - U-1.8 spotted at Singapore Clarke Quay Riverside Point 2008 (5 min 27 sec)

you can guess my next project...the LEDs are on order and I am checking designs..and layouts for a home built clone
from reading.. their prices are high.. but are not quoted on their site.
Their simplest design is similar to the IFO but stretched... more like a flat drenalyn but with rounded elevons
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Oct 31, 2010 at 05:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:55 AM
Hole digger
Joined Dec 2007
318 Posts
I've got a few lights on my IFO's but those guys are nuts!

I really like the large cluster of fliers following each other like a bird flock.
DampRabbit is offline Find More Posts by DampRabbit
Old Jan 21, 2009, 07:37 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,841 Posts
There are quite a few videos of them on youtube... it looks well setup for their flying..what could be nicer on a warm and quiet night?, that and a cold beer.

Definition of a NightKite Like the Kites of old, an open structure fabric or film covered, with lights

I had some luck and found my old IFO whilst looking for some covering... this is now being revamped and modded.. extended in length.. and with extra CF rods fitted to give more sectioned pannels so that I can have a nicer color scheme.
Ive used a heavier main fuz stick and fitted a tube mount for the motor.

the LEDs have come..extra fast delivery from Maplins, but they are pricey..

I am trying to decide whether to fit a rudder or not at the moment..
Edit not fitted

If you use google sketchup download the zip file , then using sketchup you can resize the designs in a matter of seconds
If you want to build the NK1 I would sugest you modify the design slightly by moving the front cross piece back by about 1 1/2" to give a bigger and better space for fitting the motor and prop.. as it was on the IFO it only just fitted
Edit
Ive just made this modification myself, now theres room for the motor to be fitted to the front part of the 2 part tube mount, and the big aluminium prop addaptor and prop.
EDIT2 Remade the NK1 plan 28 feb 09
new pic added showing areas of NK1 kite 6sqft 2.5oz sqft

Plans.. I will keep posting here as they are done..or updated
EDIT http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1033223 is the nutball nightkite build...highly recommended

depron builds will work well if they are like the nutball
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=44
Last edited by davereap; Jan 25, 2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 07:55 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,841 Posts
here are the gofly kite pics.. none are too complicated ..the only problem is where and how many lights to fit..

The simplest design is very similar to the IFO of old, but slightly extended I think..

edited off by request
Last edited by davereap; May 29, 2009 at 04:15 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:07 AM
North Kent, England UK
Joined Jan 2005
301 Posts
Looks good Dave, shold be crashproof too. I have just dismantled an old umbrella, mainly because I thought the struts might come in handy, now the covering might be useful too.

I will be following your progress.

Jim
JimW is offline Find More Posts by JimW
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:08 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,857 Posts
Will these glide power off? Or do they need some power on and a little AOA to maintain flight?

I wouldn't expect to find them to have a great glide ratio but am sort of wondering if they are of the variety that falls out of the air when the motor stops.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:33 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
the LEDs have come..extra fast delivery from Maplins, but they are pricey..
Hi Dave - youre not joking Next time you might like to try this guy, I got these last year, more than 100 for 7 free p&p and mixed colours

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/105-X-3mm-7-Co...1%7C240%3A1318

Cheers,
Frank
frank48 is online now Find More Posts by frank48
Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:13 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,841 Posts
Yes I ordered from maplins ..then found better info in the thread on lighting..oh well it was too late to cancell, but they got here the next morning.. very fast delivery..and they are all high intensity....

Thanks for the info I just ordered some more from that ebay shop ...that will give me loads to play with...
looking at the videos they use quite a lot on their planes

Heres where ive got to..
Pic 1 ..... The original IFO plans
Pic 2 ..... 12" extended on the outside rods of my old IFO...the rear spar/hinge line moved back. ..A new fuz rod with a tube mount. A couple more Cf rods and bits tied in to make a nice patern.

I used an original IFO mk3, removed the rear cross peice. then extended the sides. I refixed the cross peice at the sides then replaced the fuz with a new thicker tube. I then added a couple of curved 2mm rods to make a fancier pattern ( not neccessary, for decor only)

Pic 3 ..... Two panels covered with a semi transparent white nylon.
Pic 4 .....main covered

I went for the semi transparent covering so that any lighting will shine through as well as illuminating the surfaces..its only problem is that it needs sealing..
Edit 28 feb 09... best cheap fabric.. a dressmaking polyester liner material.. comes in loads of shiny colors and will hestshrink with hot air.. it shrinks well then relaxes a bit leaving the surface free of wrinkles but not overtight
umbrella fabric especially off the big sports brollies should be good..and free if you can find old discarded brollies

to do for airframe.... remaining panels willl be covered with a semi transparent yellow

From what I remember flying the IFO they glide about as well as any flat plate would do, and prefer to have power on.. That said the IFO was my first succesfull electric flier and with its old brushed motor didnt go too bad.

dimensions span .... 34" ....860mm
length .... 35" ....885mm
weight at pic 3 ....3.5oz
COG 170mm from front cross bar/engine location
Last edited by davereap; Feb 28, 2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 04:15 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,841 Posts
Some more info ...this page gives good basic wiring info for the LEDs

http://www.theledlight.com/ledcircuits.html

The Mugi site also has some info.. only using a few lights theyve got good results
http://www.mugi.co.uk/evo_nightfly.php

Here are some good places for lights with fast delivery
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/amigoofchina/
and
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/phenoptix
Last edited by davereap; Feb 04, 2009 at 04:17 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:44 AM
Breaker of Stuff
Australia, TAS, Somerset
Joined Feb 2004
610 Posts
Hi,
I've got one of these, it's a different brand but basically the same, less leds by the look of it though.
http://www.gadgetgalaxy.com.au/Air%2...203CH%20RC.htm
I got mine from ebay as a rtf package. Out of the box it flew terrible, due to the electronics. It came with a brushed motor and gearbox with an all in one rx and esc, 900mah 2s lipo. The control was horrible. no epa, so it was full throws all the time and the servos had about two steps between centre and full throw.
I got about 2 flights and the esc/rx caught on fire!
So I replaced all the electronics and using my own TX.
Running a towerpro 21t (heavy but I used it because it is a similar weight to the stock motor and gearbox) 2s lipo with 9g servos and now it flies really good, I like it a lot.
It will fly high alpha in hardly any space at all, I fly it in my small backyard no worries.
I run the leds through an old 5A brushed speed control plugged into the RX so I can control them with a 3 position switch on my TX. Off, low brightness and full brightness.
I've got some pics and video here somewhere Ill try and find them. Looking forward to seeing how your version turns out.
Cheers.
Tasmaniac is offline Find More Posts by Tasmaniac
Old Jan 22, 2009, 08:04 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,841 Posts
thats similar to the pro3 above

Now ive fitted a removeable tail.. AUW now 4 1/8oz
Last edited by davereap; Jan 22, 2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 08:19 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1 Posts
That is amazing kites guys... hope to have one for me... to fly at it's best...

Old Jan 22, 2009, 08:29 AM
Breaker of Stuff
Australia, TAS, Somerset
Joined Feb 2004
610 Posts
Here's a few pics I found.
I'll try and find a flight video.
Cheers.
Tasmaniac is offline Find More Posts by Tasmaniac
Old Jan 22, 2009, 01:35 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,994 Posts
Hi Dave & Tas
R2 Hobbies have just started to stock a "3 Channel RC Carbon Fiber Airframe Zlowest Indoor Flyer" for US$42.69 including brushless motor
http://r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcpl81037
as it only weighs 487 grams ready to ship it shouldn't cost too much to get it.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jan 23, 2009, 04:38 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,841 Posts
Thats the one that started me looking. Looks like a butterfly...The email advert for it has links to the goflykite videos. and its own video shows its nice performance.

I do prefer to make my own planes however, already having all the bits and peices I need..the CF framed kites really couldnt be simpler and the rods can be reused again and again. I just bind joints with some dacron type fishing thread and glue with cyano.. each joint only takes minutes and is very strong..

I must admit to copying designs or using them as a basis for my own builds. But even when building from plans I always end up changing the design in some ways.

With these flat CF kites you can use your imagination and try any fancy idea shapes that come into your head. you can easily test glide the framework to get your COG correct with no fear of damage.

Then just add your radio and engine
Last edited by davereap; Jan 23, 2009 at 05:08 AM.