You have been busy..

This is my visibility.

(PIC taken by PROP'ER)
avidjeepr is offline Find More Posts by avidjeepr
Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:49 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
Notice the rear dive planes connector rod has been replaced with a thiner lighter brass tube and lock collers to improve prop performance,the original part was a bit thick and diflected the props wash.
aquadeep is offline Find More Posts by aquadeep
Last edited by aquadeep; Feb 23, 2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:00 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
Yes I have and now it has internal LEDS swtched by the remote via a servo on ch 5,by the way negative pulse servos only like Hyteck only no Futaba or Jr can be used.

The nueclear sub is almost completed!

Next the external high beams for night runs and in the caves very

Dave
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:06 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
Try installing bright leds on the top deck so that its still visable deeper.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 06:58 PM
What is this a center for ants
United States, CA, Beverly Hills
Joined Jul 2007
2,277 Posts
The water is too green, algae and such.
Lights will just make it brighter green, it will get clearer in a couple months.

I am getting the hang of it now. (I read the destructions)
avidjeepr is offline Find More Posts by avidjeepr
Old Feb 27, 2009, 11:41 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
Thats what I thought when I made my first sub with lights and when it went into the soup the beams of light spread out in a magical patern that was like a scean out of Seaquest!
Especialy at night way too cool

I just fitted the SB-2 with 12 ,10 mm high intensity white LEDs ,6 on the interior behind the windows and 6 on and under the nose.I get them at 20 for 5 bucks!

I then ran her at night and wow the beams in the water and movment reminds me of a sureal UFO .I wish I could make a vedeo but the camara just could not do it justice at night.

In the super clear water in the caves it should realy aid in navigating the crevases and boulders and realy aids in giving a perspective , there I know I can make a vedeo and will post.

Ihad to rebalance the sub and removed some weights and added 2 small foam cubes stratigicly placed to bring her back into level balance as that single thing is the most important part to a good running sub.
Also I added 2 larger forward dive planes,the original are just too small and would not manuever the sub fast enough as needed in the caves ect.With the planes at full down and the ballast bag full she would take some 20 feet to dive 8ft or so not a good rate with the old planes now she dives in 4ft distance and at much steaper angle.

I still need to add more LEDs maybe blue and red or yellow and perhaps blinking on the top to aid in visability,since I can switch them off they will not be a continuse drain eventhough there drawing only millams.

The fun part is building it since the connections must be waterproof! With goop it works just fine

I have this vedeo of my Octura ,a DeepDive VI

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...1-20-08032.flv
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:28 PM
Joined Oct 2007
101 Posts
Waiting for your new video!
In the meantime, I agree that larger forward dive planes is a very good idea.
I would do the same mod on my Neptune too...
Do you have some pics of your new dive planes?
Basing on your experience, is it better to increase the dive plane width or its length? Is there any more efficient shape? (Biplane?!?)

Thanks and my compliments for your SB-2!
Ocean's One is offline Find More Posts by Ocean's One
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:29 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
Here is the finished SB-2.0 well I realy never say fin but in development with new dive planes ,wider and pivoting from the center with a swept leadig edge.
Made from all things ......model jet wings ,this one from a f-16 snap together kit just cut to your liking ,its solid plastic and a shaft can be fiited and cad inplce.Thats it easy ,even has detail and air foil shape.This mod made a huge difference in handling and looks more realistic. Great for rudders

The led array of some 26 high intensity leds is powered from the main battery switched by the 5th ch and servo and microw switch and several resistors making up the waterproof circuit and water tight connectors.

Just tested in the pool and the hole pool lites up and like when the Titanic was found wow, what sight!

Run time is not greatly affected since at night or in a cave higher speeds are not recomended.

As you can imagine I love this sub ,it handles like no other and is just a blast to modify and run

Dave Amur Ship Yard
Old Mar 01, 2009, 07:59 AM
Joined Oct 2007
101 Posts
The wings of a static model!
Clever and simple idea: I think I'll copy it, with your permission...
Compliments again.

BTW, a night dive with lights on should be really very nice!
Do you have a Titanic wreck to explore?
Old Mar 01, 2009, 08:48 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
Yes you have my permission as long as you mention where the idea came from and thank you for the complements

I will be making a new vedeo at Genei Springs this week,this spring is very large and deep and has a large cave.

At night it should be awsome with the lights! I wish I had a large Titanic wreck to explore at the bottom of this spring.

I want to position my Murkum 560 rottaing camara on the upper ledge and dive the sub into the spring that way I can see better where its going and wont lose perspective and posibly crash into a rock

I would like to see your SB-1 when modified.
If you have a ny questions about this sub just let me know.

Dave
Old Mar 01, 2009, 10:38 PM
Torrance, CA
Joined May 2003
1,680 Posts
I just had my maiden voyage in my SB-1 today. The ballast was way off and the sub would sit nose down at the surface. I'm going to have to move the ballast back toward the center of the sub to see if it will help. The front dive plane are a joke and your mods seem like the ticket. Do you by chance know what scale the model wings you used are?
JDMstuff is offline Find More Posts by JDMstuff
Old Mar 02, 2009, 03:38 AM
Joined Oct 2007
101 Posts
Dear Aquadeep,

by now, my SB-1 is just a standard one.
I have only repositioned some ballast into upper position in order to reduce the stability a bit. See pic: one piece of ballast (Z2) was moved in the upper position, while two others (Z1) still stay at the bottom.
In my thoughts, this would help in getting a more nervous behavior (= higher pitch angle) and more responsive dinamic dive.
Now I understand this is not strictly required. You get the same result just by enlarging the front depht planes: more efficient solution.

Also, I built a video buoy in order to transmit video signal real time and do virtual piloting. Video quality is much lower than your great movies, but it's real time and allows me to know exactly where the sub is going to (also because my lake is not so clear as yours)

You say "I wish I had a large Titanic wreck to explore at the bottom"...
Here it is!

Titanic wreck model explored by Neptune R/C submarine - 1 (4 min 50 sec)

(not really new. It is a one year old video...)
Old Mar 02, 2009, 08:55 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
The scale of the F-16 is not mentioned on the jet but I think it was made by Scale Flight .They come already painted just screw them together,there must be about 20 models available so there are lots of different dive plane configurations and sizes to chose from,I still might go a bit larger.

These wings are strong solid plastic and thin low profile and a 1/8 shaft fits in a pree drilled hole.

It seems to be a caracteristic of the sub to dive at medium speed and above due to the bow low inthe water ,just be sure its level at stop and she will run just fine,larger dive planes helps this effect.

Dave
Last edited by aquadeep; Mar 02, 2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:27 AM
Torrance, CA
Joined May 2003
1,680 Posts
Thanks for the info Dave. I think I know what line you're talking about. I'll check the model aisle next time I get a chance.
JDMstuff is offline Find More Posts by JDMstuff