HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:32 PM
Joined Sep 2006
10 Posts
Hey Aquadeep, I read another thread where they said the lead acid battery charger wasn't working right either. Mine seems to have the same problem. You could buy a new one for like $6.00 from goldmine-elec.com.
DC Electric is offline Find More Posts by DC Electric
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:23 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
Some vedeo footage,deep bive to 16ft and back.

Dave
sub action (0 min 39 sec)

devils den submarine action (1 min 52 sec)
aquadeep is offline Find More Posts by aquadeep
Old Jan 30, 2009, 03:39 PM
Joined Oct 2007
101 Posts
16 ft? GREAT!
Very impressive...
Ocean's One is offline Find More Posts by Ocean's One
Old Jan 30, 2009, 06:58 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
Have you tried another sub in the same water? It could be that the water is poluted with metals or clorine ect.Thats what it sounds like to me these are mass produced units and the quality control is very tight.i have been in touch with other SB-1 owners and they dont report this problem.
Try a diferent pool or pond and it should be fine.
where did you buy yours?

I plan on going even deeper in very clear water later and use my pontoon boats depthfinder to verify the depth.

Dave
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:31 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
I think it's relatively easy to get deep radio range, as long as you're standing at the edge of the water, and your submarine is just about straight down from your feet. However, when your submarine is further away from you, the submarine can't go as deep before loss of radio contact.

Nonetheless, 16 feet is still impressive.
petn7 is offline Find More Posts by petn7
Old Feb 01, 2009, 02:17 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
I have just modified the SB-1 to use a larger batery .From the 2.3 amp hour one to a 4.0 amp hour .By useing a dremel tool the craddles are enlargeed so that the new batery fits right in.

The original frame rounds still retain there shape althugh prity close to running out of space.Strenght is good since the outer tube casing also holds the frame in place.

The tubbing from the pump had to be re routed so that it went back around the batery instaed of under it as was originaly done,then the T fitting was made at the front and the pressure sensor remained in the same place,just a bit more tubbing and a better T fitting was used.

I should get much longer run times and I will have to reballance the sub by removing and adjusting the wieghts.

Also I plan on replaceing the direct drive motor with a planetary gear drive unit that will have a 3.33 to one ratio for even longer run time with a redesighned prop kort knozzle and stern planes.

The gear drive is a MP Jet unit and are very well made with ball bearings
and one piece housings and special gears,the kit comes with grease lock tite and pinion gear for regular 550 /600 can motors.Cost 25.00$
I might make it water cooled,that also aids in longer run time.

I have already painted her to be metalic silver and burgundy red,clear coated several times all with automotive paints that are very atractive and long lasting.

Led high intensity lihts will also be installed as well as the color camara,but will come later.
Check out the vedeo in the Deep south group section.

Dave Amur Ship Yard
Last edited by aquadeep; Feb 01, 2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 04:50 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
A new update ,just ordered the new batery that replaces the 4.0 amph to 5 .0 amph ,even beter run time,it will wiegh more but Ill just remove more of the bottom wieghts till balanced.
The batery is made by Powertron and is available at Sun Batery Co. in Jacksonville Fl. ask for the PT512 12v 5.0 batery. A reasonable 24.95$

Sorry for a mistake, the salesman sent me the rong batery and there is no other updated batery except the 4.0 amp hour .Which will do just fine ,at least I got to keep the rong batery! The one needed for the mod is longer and a bit thicker than the standard 2.3 AMH one ,and fits right in lenght wise. I will post the model number later.
Dave
Last edited by aquadeep; Feb 03, 2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 05:21 PM
What is this a center for ants
United States, CA, Beverly Hills
Joined Jul 2007
2,270 Posts
Thanks for the review,,i will have mine Thursday..
avidjeepr is offline Find More Posts by avidjeepr
Old Feb 03, 2009, 09:59 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
Great ! let me know how she runs,be sure to get a charger that will fully charge the main battery.

Dave
Old Feb 07, 2009, 10:51 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
Just tested the inner casing in the bathtub and to my joy with just guesing the amount of weigths to use and position ,it floated level and slightly higher than out of the box.Just one center and large washer wieghts where removed and moved the remaining wieght to the center and slightly to the aft.Great ballancing system ,so easy to use!

Once the sides and aft components are installed it should be just about right.

The run time should be greatly increased with the Powertron PT412A 4.0 amp battery from the 2.3 amph one .

Next mod is the installation of the greardrive and led lights switched on the #5 channel.

And then the acsses port for charging on the front plate,made from stainless steel.

Dave Amur Ship Yard
Old Feb 07, 2009, 01:45 PM
Ohio, IL
Joined Feb 2006
241 Posts
What rpm does the motor run at the moment? This sub is already slow, wouldn't fitting a reduction gear box slow it down somemore? You could just run it at half throttle the way it is at the moment to get longer run times.
HelloMoto is offline Find More Posts by HelloMoto
Old Feb 08, 2009, 08:26 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
The motor directly turns a prop that is too small for the size of the sub,at full it will cruise well but it will use up more power.

By installing a 3.5 to 1 gear reduction and then a much laurger prop say a 2.5 to 3.5 inch size with a moderate to high pitch in a 3 to 6 blade prop will give more thrust and speed with less power usage.
This kind of setup has worked on my subs for years ,motors run cool and maximum run time is obtained.

Finishing up on the paint job so far looks great!

Will post pics soon.

Dave
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:06 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
More video ,this sub is amazing at how well it holds its level even at very slow speed.
Untitled (4 min 10 sec)

Dave
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:42 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
Modifications in progress and with stern planes and larger prop and rudder/kort knozle assembly.Normaly censored.

Tested main drive with a 5 to 6 times speed increase ,will post pics of stern mod and paint.

Dave amur ship yard
Old Feb 13, 2009, 07:45 PM
What is this a center for ants
United States, CA, Beverly Hills
Joined Jul 2007
2,270 Posts
I picked up the sub.
Not sure what to disassemble to put the camera in..Sorry for the lame question, but what bolts do I remove without removing to much. Thanks
avidjeepr is offline Find More Posts by avidjeepr