HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2009, 08:34 PM
Joined Sep 2006
10 Posts
For all you guys who are ripping on "Aquadeep" please leave the rude comments to yourselves. I have been reading his threads on the SB-1 since the beginning and he has contributed the most to helping others improve their submarines more then anyone else. I wish I could contribute half as much as him, but with 2 young children and both my wife and me working I have yet to get my sub in the water. Do you realize how much time and effort it takes to experiment with mods and then post them here. Hats off to you Aquadeep and keep up the good work. I am one RC Group member who appreciates your posts.
DC Electric is offline Find More Posts by DC Electric
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2009, 09:16 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Jan 2005
214 Posts
DC,
Not ripping him. I only pointed out that he is not the first to do telemetry. Dave doesn't want to hear that though, and I don't know why.

And yes, I do understand your position, I have three kids and started in this hobby when my oldest was in diapers. We didn't have Neptunes then. I had an ALBACORE which was a box of vac-formed styrene and a bunch of electronics. I also had the benefit of picking it's creators brain during construction. This same guy is known as the "godfather" of RC submarines and he is a true pioneer. Without his work, TT wouldn't be where they are today. Oh yeah, this guys name is Skip Asay and he's been doing this longer and better than almost anyone else.
expfcwintergreen is offline Find More Posts by expfcwintergreen
Old May 27, 2009, 09:39 PM
Joined Mar 2005
245 Posts
"Beware the false God".

Just because someone is a prolific poster does not automatically mean that the information he spouts is accurate.

Skip Asay
Skip Asay is offline Find More Posts by Skip Asay
Old May 27, 2009, 09:57 PM
Joined Jan 2005
372 Posts
How does God and RC subs go together?
As a newbie, I find this hobby is way too full of itself from way too many "gods".

Also those that venerate the "gods".....

Just think "to each his own" is not a bad thing....you know, be yourself.
Why do we have to be like everyone else?
Why is ONLY one way the right way?>

Perfection and the quest of each man is an individual journey.

I like reading each individuals ideas, I really detest the ego banter...

I am right your wrong attitude...
I have seen it from the start, starting with dive systems.

Yet I see lots of newbies and those with some experience doing their own thing, and getting crapped on all the time for trying it their own way, say something assinine like how to prepare a revel gato or a moebius seaview....I mean really, the gods act like its life or death and they alone hold the power of intellect and experince and woe to those newbies that try something different.

Then the gods do battle over dive mechanisms....and us newbies just sit back and think....What is wrong with these people?

Hell, I thought it was a hobby and about having fun, but the ego gods have lost the joy it seems long ago and just like to throw their intellect around, with scowls, no smiles....its no joy at all, its not fun, its not a hobby, it becomes a legal process....its time to take a breath and have some fun.
junglelord is offline Find More Posts by junglelord
Last edited by junglelord; May 27, 2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:14 PM
Joined Mar 2005
245 Posts
"Why is one way the right way?"

Because the laws of physics can't be changed. If we're talking about one man's desire to use an off the shelf telemetry system, I say "go for it". It may not be my cup of tea but I'll never disparage anyone from going that way. If that's what you mean by "to each his own", you're absolutely right and rest assured I won't be the one to put anyone down. But when it comes to whether bow planes or stern planes will do more for a boat's maneuverability or if a boat has enough gear reduction to spin that huge prop or anything else along those lines then you can also rest assured that I will stand up.

Do I consider myself a "GOD"? Not even hardly. I'm about as far from that as I can possibly get. Do I consider myself knowledgeable within the submarine community? You bet your sweet bippy. And I've got the scars to prove it. In my time, I think I've made every mistake than can be made and if I can prevent someone else from making that same mistake then who wins?

Skip Asay
Old May 27, 2009, 11:14 PM
Joined Jan 2005
372 Posts
Skip, in that spirit, this hobby is a success.
Not everyone has your spirit.
But you must admit, that the quarrels in this hobby are not good business or fun. Infact most are quite petty. Just my opinion. Not this question specificly, but the whole wave that rides the bow of this hobby is beyond hobbies, or fun. I wish (as a niaeve canadian) that this hobby was not so sticky. Just my wish. Can I fix it? No, but I can see it exists.

It seems to be common knowledge, in very short time, that the hobby is not fun when it comes to opinions. My best example is the best way to static dive.....really its pick a side, kinda mentally. I do not buy that.

Nor do I buy that mistakes are a thing to advoid.
Teachers often forget that.

As hard as it is to comphrehend, mistakes become tomorrows new ideas.
If the student is only allowed to tow the line, dispite how much the teacher learned from his mistakes, others may learn other things from the same mistakes....I hope you understand that any real static idea is foolish, especially the way electronics progesses. The world runs on the idea the more that things change, the more they stay the same...

So I think that without the growth of mistakes, we become robots....not thinkers.
Last edited by junglelord; May 27, 2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:04 AM
Joined Oct 2008
132 Posts
Skip you have spent most your time in this hobby trying to teach people, you can only teach those how wish to learn and the rest you will have to let go their own way.

you already know the old saying.
you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

just let it go, it is there money let them spend it they will learn from their mistakes, or their wives will bring an end to their hobby for them, you have seen it all before. just let go.
The Seer is offline Find More Posts by The Seer
Old May 28, 2009, 12:46 AM
Joined Mar 2005
245 Posts
Junglelord -

"But you must admit, that the quarrels in this hobby are not good business or fun. Infact most are quite petty. Just my opinion. Not this question specificly, but the whole wave that rides the bow of this hobby is beyond hobbies, or fun. I wish (as a niaeve canadian) that this hobby was not so sticky. Just my wish. Can I fix it? No, but I can see it exists."

Sadly, I'm in complete agreement.

"It seems to be common knowledge, in very short time, that the hobby is not fun when it comes to opinions. My best example is the best way to static dive.....really its pick a side, kinda mentally. I do not buy that."

Again, complete agreement. Whatever floats your boat (pun intended) works for me.

"Nor do I buy that mistakes are a thing to advoid.
Teachers often forget that."

Here, to a certain extent, I disagree. True, there are some mistakes that people SHOULD make such as trimming. Those are, in fact, the best lessons. But there are some mistakes that SHOULD NOT be made and high on that list is motors/reduction ratios. Why do I say that? Because those are items that are generally not cheap. And can sometimes require major rebuilding to correct.

The lists of mistakes that should and should not be made go on but I'm sure you get the idea.

Skip Asay
Old May 28, 2009, 12:53 AM View Post
aquadeep
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior). It is temporarily hidden while aquadeep edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old May 28, 2009, 09:58 AM
Joined Jan 2005
372 Posts
I am not in agreement that Skip is wrong, or that you are right.
Just for the record.

I respect Skip, I respect you Aquadeep.
I hope you two can learn to respect one another.
Old May 28, 2009, 10:52 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
I hop so to,but its not that important is it.After all he came out first with mud slingging and did not repect my point of view so I proved him wrong,he on the otherhand has not shown one shread of evidence nothing zilch nada.And that is just hearsay right?

I am happy that you are impartial that way you can make up your own opinion on the topic.
You know I am a very much so a proponent and promote the idea that a dynamic diver like the Robbe SeaWolf is by far the most simplest means to dive a RC sub and said so publicly yars ago on live TV at a show it is a fact ,no matter how complex or reliable one makes the ststic diving system one day it will fail and she won't come back up.Since I pointed out that fact years ago I believe Skip and others have had a hard time trying to prove that wrong.

I only enjoy building static divers my way because its to scale operation and challanging to build,if I only built dynamic divers I probably would have left the hobby years ago for choppers my other pastion and don't enjoy them as much as subs becuase of the expense in a crash or its just not relaxing to fly them.Besides Im too old for them now anyway,the corodination and eye requirements are for too demanding any more and I have sold most of them off.

Now Skip will hop in and differ about Static verses Dynamic divers just watch he has in the past.And did not give you a difinitive response in the other thread.
aquadeep is offline Find More Posts by aquadeep
Old May 28, 2009, 11:06 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
And very true when a hobby comes down to opinions its no longer fun ,very well said and thats why I try to one stay on topic and explian what I do from the bassis of experaince gained over many years,I run my subs on the avredge of once a week,I even excecize with them since the pond has complete acsses and is huge!Hence the need for power ,reliability and ease of maintenace parts off the shelf Ext.

Now with telemitry I can build even beter sytems ,monitor there progress in real time and save alot of money and wondering gee is that new ESC getting too hot or is that pack getting too low that it might get damaged,or is the sub going too deep especialy that one !

And now we can all do those things and the hobby will develop more.
Last edited by aquadeep; May 28, 2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:12 AM
Joined Mar 2005
245 Posts
"I hop so to,but its not that important is it.After all he came out first with mud slingging and did not repect my point of view so I proved him wrong,he on the otherhand has not shown one shread of evidence nothing zilch nada.And that is just hearsay right?"

What are you smoking? Mud slinging? Proved me wrong? I ask again.....what are you smoking?

"You know I am a very much so a proponent and promote the idea that a dynamic diver like the Robbe SeaWolf is by far the most simplest means to dive a RC sub and said so publicly yars ago on live TV at a show it is a fact ,no matter how complex or reliable one makes the ststic diving system one day it will fail and she won't come back up.Since I pointed out that fact years ago I believe Skip and others have had a hard time trying to prove that wrong."

Another challenge for you. SHOW ME where I have ever spoken out AGAINST dynamic diving. Sure, I prefer static diving for my boats (personal preference) but it's up to you to show me ANYTHING I've ever said that could be construed as being against dynamic diving.

"Now Skip will hop in and differ about Static verses Dynamic divers just watch he has in the past."

Again, SHOW ME where.

"And did not give you a difinitive response in the other thread."

Definitive response to what?

Skip Asay
Old May 28, 2009, 11:32 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
Junglelord could you answer him it was your post.As for the mud slingging just read SCRs message boards who started the crap and continues now,didn't I say he would be right there ,man talk about green with envy.Ill be ignoring him.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:38 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2007
534 Posts
Ill be posting more info on the system when i get it set up in the sub by for now Im off to the KEYS