SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2009, 08:59 PM
Denver, Colorado
Joined Apr 2007
62 Posts
Video
Dollar Tree Foam Eagle

This is my dollar tree foam eagle that i recently built. I hope you enjoy the video.

thanks for viewing!
Rookiepilot2003 is offline Find More Posts by Rookiepilot2003
Last edited by Rookiepilot2003; Jan 19, 2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:21 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,760 Posts
WOW! What a bird...

Got more pics?
Maybe some of the build?

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:26 PM
Denver, Colorado
Joined Apr 2007
62 Posts
sorry no build pics since i wasn't even sure if it was gonna be a success. Basically used the plans for the FFF Eagle with few little modifications to suit my needs. I will try to take some close up pics and post if you are interested. Thanks for your comment.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:35 AM
Just having fun !
Noble park,Melbourne,Australia
Joined Mar 2006
363 Posts
Looook up in the sky ....is it a bird ?..... is it a plane ?....no....its........an Eagle !
Ronstar is offline Find More Posts by Ronstar
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:00 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiepilot2003
sorry no build pics since i wasn't even sure if it was gonna be a success. Basically used the plans for the FFF Eagle with few little modifications to suit my needs. I will try to take some close up pics and post if you are interested. Thanks for your comment.
Yes, please post whatever pics you can. I'd like to see the layout of all the equipment.

At first I thought it was just a flat foamy, but then when it landed I saw it has a fuselage.

Thanks,

Bill
Old Jan 20, 2009, 06:23 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,760 Posts
That looks like it would be soooooo easy to build using BlueCor (FFF).

What wing span?
What size motor? (I can probably figure out everything else.)
Do you have any plans?
The fuselage looks easy enough, but plans would be great for the wing.
Might also put in a monoblock in place of your pink firewall like what's on the Blu-Baby.

Bill
Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:17 PM
Denver, Colorado
Joined Apr 2007
62 Posts
I posted the plans above with the pictures. This is the design of Paul (Praymond) from rcgroups. The span is 56 inch but there is a 42 inch also available. The motor is 1000kv and its from bp hobbies http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=B1688512 , spinning a 9x7 sloflyer prop. It gets about 1 to 1 thrust which is ok if you are just gonna fly the eagle in a realistic manner. I might also increase the prop size to 10in later on. I hope this helps.
Last edited by Rookiepilot2003; Jan 20, 2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:36 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,760 Posts
Excellent!!!

Thank you very much.

Bill
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:52 PM
United States, TX, Livingston
Joined Feb 2006
11 Posts
Great video, nice and close, well done.

Thanks
soloedin6hr is offline Find More Posts by soloedin6hr
Old Jan 20, 2009, 09:54 PM
Denver, Colorado
Joined Apr 2007
62 Posts
Thanks everyone for viewing the video and the great comments. I have my girlfriend Felicity to thank for doing a great job filming the flight and also for motivating me to continue building, flying, and to actually post a video of one one of those flights. She surprised me with more sheets of foam so I gotta go and do some building. Happy flying, Haris
Last edited by Rookiepilot2003; Jan 20, 2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:20 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,760 Posts
Enjoy building, Haris, and keep the fantastic videos coming.

And my congratulations to Felicity for being such a great videographer.

Bill
Old Jan 21, 2009, 06:33 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,284 Posts
Rookiepilot

Nice looking and flyiing Eagle!

I am thinking about building the 42" version out of Protection board and would like to ask a couple of questions. I want to try a RET for my wife and liked the way you did your setup.

Will your eagle make loops? How did you decide on the size of the Rudder? How strong is the body as far as twisting, I was thinking about maybe doing a monoblock? How much dihedral do you have in the wing?

Thanks again for the video and the great pictures of your eagle....nice job on the feathers!

Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Jan 21, 2009, 07:03 PM
Denver, Colorado
Joined Apr 2007
62 Posts
Hello Ray,thanks for the comment,
the eagle can do everything the vtail version can. You can even add ailerons if you like. Dihedral is about 4 degrees if I am not mistaken and that is from half span to the point where the larger kf step is, then that part is bent up another 4 degrees. So the Wing itself has 4 degrees and the tips have another 4 from there. This way it turns out very stable and can make fairly tight turns.
As for the rudder, I just kinda eyeballed it and took half horizontal stab and reduced it a bit to make that the vertical stabilizer then took about 3/4 of the way back and made that the rudder. You can make it larger or smaller depending on your needs.
The fuselage is very stiff if you build it according to the plans. I didn't use any reinforcement there and monoblock would definetly work well.

I hope this helps, if you would like me to go into more detail I would be more than happy to do so. It is a fairly straight forward bird to make as Paul did a great job drawing the plans. Good luck with your build and post some pics if you can so we can see how it is coming along.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 05:49 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Do you have an untiled version of the plans?

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiepilot2003
Here are a few pics of the Fuselage. The Wing is basically a kfm3 with each layer of feathers being a step. Provides great glide characteristics and makes the wing extremely stiff.
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross