HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Bombay, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 07:26 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone F4U Corsair

The much awaited Corsair has arrived...and man the box is big.

Wow. 750+ people looked at a plain cardboard box. This bird must be very popular. This is the PNP model...no battery, transmitter, or receiver included.

Pre-flight Mods

I removed the clevises and thoroughly flexed the ailerons, elevator, and rudder. They come stiff and can put extra resistance on your servos.

I also removed the servo arms and made sure the control rods weren't binding on the fuselage. The control rods are coated with a rough stiffener with acts like sandpaper on the fuselage. I don't like this, but I don't plan to change them out at the moment.

I adjusted the clevis on the tail wheel to get it as straight as possible. I hate a plane that doesn't track straight.

Touched up the paint with Delta Ceramcoat "Blue Jay" and Delta Ceramcoat "Midnight Blue". Another color worth trying for the dark blue is Plaid FolkArt "Thunder Blue". I think Thunder Blue might actually be a better match, although none of the paints match perfectly.

I painted the control horns and linkages in the corresponding color of the fuselage and wing to camouflage them.

I painted the inside lips of the electronics compartment and hatch to eliminate the white foam seams.

I coated the bottom of the wing and bottom of the fuselage with Minwax Polycrylic Satin. I did this to help eliminate grass stains and to protect the paint from rubbing off.

I coated the top of the wing, the battery pilot hatch, and the rest of the fuselage and cowl with Delta Ceramcoat Matte finish exterior/interior varnish...although it appears to be more like satin than matte.

I added 3 machine ports to each wing and then simulated the gunpowder residue that leaves a trail along the bottom of each wing.

I removed the cowl and painted the mock rotary engine with a mixture of silver, gold, and dark grey.

For the battery connection, I added Anderson Powerpole connectors in place of the Dean's connectors.

I replaced the micro, out-of-round tail wheel with a much better looking 1" wheel. Some minor modification was required. The hubs match the larger wheels below.

I replaced the main wheels with Dubro 2.5" treaded wheels.

I have servo covers, bombs, and missiles on order.

To be continued...
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Last edited by Bombay; Feb 17, 2009 at 10:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2009, 07:56 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
your gonna love it. I got mine for Christmas, and I had it hooked up by the time everyone else had opened their presents: It tears the skies up, easy to handlaunch too. P.S. dont use the 3 bladed prop! It is really off balance and vibrates the plane like crazy. Use the 2 blade until you balance that out
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old Jan 19, 2009, 07:59 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-86FLIER4LIFE
P.S. dont use the 3 bladed prop! It is really off balance and vibrates the plane like crazy. Use the 2 blade until you balance that out
Will do. Yep, I've heard the prop is a dud. I plan to try out a 3-blader at least once, but will probably buy a Master Airscrew 3-blade in the hopes that the quality is better.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jan 19, 2009, 08:20 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
I think Im just stickin' to the stock 2-blade. Plenty of speed and power for me
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE