HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:48 PM
United States, MA, Natick
Joined Aug 2005
20 Posts
Discussion
How to achieve silver-doped finish in Nieuport 17?

I'm scratch-building a Nieuport 17 and wonder if anyone has any ideas about how to achieve the look of the silver-doped fabric finish of these aircraft. I'm building in foam and was thinking of covering it with Esaki or Easy Built silver tissue, then applied water-based poly. But will the silver tissue look too shiny? I don't want it to look too much like metal, obviously.....

Thanks Evan
hardingham is offline Find More Posts by hardingham
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:05 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,366 Posts
Silver Litespan (Coverite Coverlite). Or, use white Airspan and paint it silver. That's how I did the Morane. Brush painted. This was before it was flown

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 19, 2009, 02:25 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,744 Posts
I did my scratch build Nieuport 17 with Silver Solar Film. What size you doing yours? Depending on your size my depend on what you use.
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Jan 19, 2009, 03:40 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
1,968 Posts
I don't know how particular you are going to be but the silver used in WWI was more of a silver-grey. You could add some white or pale grey to the basic silver. It was NOT shiny - actually had some "sky camouflage" effectiveness.

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:46 PM
Joined Aug 2005
20 Posts
Helpful input! Here's the deal: My N-17 will be a 36" aerobatic foamie with longer-than-scale ailerons on the top wing. I know I should probably enlarge the tail and rudder surfaces for better handling though it goes against my purist tendencies! Anyway, I'm trying to keep it light and it's mostly Depron sheet. I've taken some trouble to scale it up accurately and want it to look good, so I was planning to cover the foam with tissue and print up my own decals, etc. I thought about trying to get the right appearance by chalking plain tissue but couldn't find a good shade of pastel in my local art store. So the other option is silver tissue, but I don't want it to look shiny and metallic. Is there a matt side to the tissue?

Any more suggestions most welcome. Evan
Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:51 PM
Joined Aug 2005
20 Posts
P.S. Charlie -- your Morane is really nice -- but I read somewhere that Coverlite was a real pain to apply. Was that your experience? Evan
Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:57 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,366 Posts
You can get silver tissue and just finish with matte WBPU if you want.

Paul Bradley (Model Aviation contributor) uses ink jet printed tissue and dopes it onto different covering material, including solite. His comes out as a matte finish.

charlie
Old Jan 19, 2009, 05:06 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,366 Posts
Coverite Coverlite is the same as Litespan. I like it when it comes in the right color. If I am going to paint I get Airspan, the unsealed version of Litespan. That's what I used on the Morane.

The PITA factor of Litespan is relative. It needs a separate adhesive and it doesn't shrink a lot, but, when it does it can pull pretty hard. Kinda like tissue. It also has a grain direction like tissue, which can come in handy. It is my second most favorite covering (after Solite). I use it a lot since I like WWI models and that's what I use when I want to duplicate that type of fabric finish.

FWIW, I have heard that silver Litespan is more difficult to work with. That may be true. I have found that silver covering of other types of materials is more difficult than the std colors in the same material (Solite, solarfilm, and monokote are ones I have tried). Don't know why, but, it just seems to not 'stick' as well.

charlie
Old Jan 19, 2009, 05:49 PM
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Jan 2008
877 Posts
Just curious is COverite Coverlite the same as Coverite microlite? I am using this material in Silver on a model right now that is both Sheetd and Stick built. Its not that tough to use but I have noticed that when I used this stuf in the color white it seemed easier to get the wrinkles out (althoguh not really haveing any trouble wiht ht esilver...its all a matter of getting the right temp.

Once you start and screw up a couple of times you will figure it out anyway.

The Coverite Microlite I am using is .6 oz per sqaure yard.

IF you use this and want a matt finish I have heard of people spraying a Matt Clear coat of some sort to dull the finish on ARFs.
vp46 is offline Find More Posts by vp46
Old Jan 19, 2009, 05:59 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,366 Posts
Microlite is not the same as Coverlite.

Coverite Microlite = Solite = Nelson Litefilm
Coverite Coverlite = Litespan

And yes, Microlite/Solite is one of the lightest coverings you can get.

Solarfilm makes great covering stuff and it is relabeled by several shops within the US. Nelson's was the first to carry most of it (that I know of). Even Hobby Lobby relabels Solarfilm and sells it as Superkote or something like that.

charlie
Old Jan 19, 2009, 06:24 PM
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Jan 2008
877 Posts
Ok good stuff, thank you! Anyone know how to cover 2mm Foam folded into a wheel pant to match Silver Mircrolite?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 08:14 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,366 Posts
Cover it with silver microlite. It may take some strips but will work. I found it is kinda nice to cover spinners to match a fuse as well.

If you want to paint there is Rustoleum Aluminum (or was it silver). Not the metallic stuff. FWIW the silver Microlite, Solarfilm and Monokote all seem to be about the same shade of silver.

charlie
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:49 AM
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Jan 2008
877 Posts
I actually covered the Wheel pant in microlite but the walls are not sturdy enough and distort when shrunk. Painting was my solution but my wife, a school teacher, has a lot of experience coloring foam is convinced Silver Sharper is the answer since paint will eventually crack/chip.

I even tried to put it on with a uhu glue stick and not shrink it - it almost worked but the wrinkles were unavoidable.

Silver sharpie ismy next stop
Old Mar 11, 2010, 05:02 AM
Caravan driver
Lanseria airport South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
379 Posts
I am building a scratch 17 and am covering with solarfilm and then spray with a clear matte lacquer - if needs be sometimes a light waterpaper rub finishes the look off perfectly. What I like about this technique is that it seals the decals and weathering effects if any. The results are always good.
wingnutzster is offline Find More Posts by wingnutzster
Old Mar 11, 2010, 01:35 PM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
Its funny you should mention the Silver, I`m currently finishing up a Tritle Nieuport 17 and did find the Silver tougher to work with.

I can normally get all the wrinkles out of the other colors with just the iron, but with the Silver, I had to pull out the heat gun!
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson