HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:46 PM
O stewardess I speak jive
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Be sure to take plenty of pics and give em hell in Phoenix. Be sure to post back your results on its performance. I still have another month until racing starts here in the North state.
Jake Williams is offline Find More Posts by Jake Williams
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:50 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
I got a chance to maiden the Hurri today. Flies very well. It's a tad slower than my Strega but I think it will be competitive in Silver. I need to try some different props. I love the way it looks in the air. Love the shape of the wing. I didn't have my camera with me today but will get pics next time out.

Blessings, Terry
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:04 AM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Did you do any additional reinforcing to the airframe? I have been getting comfortable with mine. Only two weeks to go until the first race for us.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 03:40 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
No extra reinforcement though I will be keeping an eye on the firewall.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 08:17 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
I should have kept a better eye on the firewall, or better yet, should have replaced it. The engine pulled loose while sitting running on the stand. The ply separated. Fortunately, It wasn't flying and all that was damaged was cowl and prop and of course the firewall. I am gluing in a new 1/2" firewall and pinning it. I also moved it back about a 1/2". Will move the engine forward on the mount.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 09:30 PM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Yikes, glad nobody got hurt. That is a heart-stopper. Double lucky it happened on the ground. Mine has not had any problems, but I did coat my insides and firewall with expoxy as fuel-proofer and that may have added some strength, but I am sure you have got a tad more thrust on your setup . I don't think the manufacturers thought we would be putting these planes under such harsh test trials, but we have to know what the limits are. "Getter patched up and back in the air there buddyo!"
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:08 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Oct 2004
516 Posts
Zoiks!
ChrisAttebery is offline Find More Posts by ChrisAttebery
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:15 AM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
The way they key the thin ply sides might make it easier to assemble and gives the appearance that it locks in the firewall, but the ply is so thin that the reduced glue area is the factor. The only real glue area is at the back where the firewall glues to the angle stock and as you can see in the pictures, that is only as strong as the ply that the firewall is made of which is not good. It might be strong enough for a small two stroke. I made a new firewall out of 1/2" birch ply and it feels very solid now. Do you know if new cowls are available for these? I am going to try and repair mine but it is so thin that it will probably look repaired.
Blessings, Terry
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:53 AM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Ya, get it from Tomas at www.vqwarbirds.com. I am actually getting a new canopy from him, but have not ordered it yet. He will take care of you.

Jake
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:41 AM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
I sent him an email. Hope to hear from them tomorrow. Will probably have to race with the mended one this weekend. I doubt I will be able to get a new one in time.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:22 AM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
So any pics of your new firewall setup?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:07 AM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
Hi Jake,

I will try to take some pics today. I flew it yesterday and it flies great with the engine at 0 deg. I really like this plane. It is a little draggy but like all my other VQ models it is rock solid in the turns. You can turn hard enough to almost stop it in the air and there is no sign of tip stalling or snapping. I've had more than a few guys coming up to admire it.

Here is a response from Tomas about engine size on these planes.

YEP !! ALWAYS and I MEAN ALWAYS add triangle stock and glass the firewall area from the inside if you OVERPOWER these models! anything more than a .70 4 stroke on a .40 size or anything more than a .91 4 stroke on a .60 size VQ model is considered overpowered...

PLEASE spread the word... this can be quite dangerous... I am glad you were unhurt!!

This is good advice for planes where the firewall is flush with the front of the fuse. However, on the models where the firewall is mounted at the front of a box like this one, I would recommend either replacing it like I have, or at least glassing inside and out. The way the ply separated, glassing the back of the firewall may not be sufficient.

Blessings, Terry
Old Apr 23, 2009, 01:28 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
OK here are some pics. If you look close you can see that I drilled and pinned the sides. I only moved the firewall back enough to clear the notches, about 1/4".
Old Apr 26, 2009, 04:48 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
Well the Hurricane is dust. I brought it to use as my backup Silver plane. After losing my Gold plane to an elevator push rod failure, I moved my #1 Silver into use in Gold and readied the Hurricane for the next Silver heat, I was in the middle of the 45 second countdown when the plane froze 1/4 way through a turn. It then began a journey around the field, as we all watched in horror. At one point it was heading straight for the pits then veered toward the parking lot just missing several motor homes as it again climbed into the air for its last split S before it plowed into the ground at full throttle. The only thing we could think of was that the battery somehow came unplugged or the switch failed. I had flown it several times in the last week and it flew flawlessly. Ironically, I just ordered a new cowl for it, and it should arrive any day now.

The YS 1.10 is damaged pretty badly and the receiver is toast. We couldn't find the battery so I wasn't able to test it.

Jake,

Did you get a chance to race yours this weekend? Looking forward to your experience.

Blessings, Terry
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:27 AM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Sorry to hear about the hurri. My friend had the same thing happen with his P-51 Candyman. His problem was that he did not secure the battery in the fuse and in the turns it came loose, shifted the the rear of the fuse and disconnected from the reciever. It was a stellar crash at about 75mph. Needles to say he was a bit disheartened. It is always the small things cause the most destruction. Get that motor fixed, and get another hurri in the air.

Did not use mine in the races since my workhorse Macchi did the dirty work for me at the Big Kahuna classic. Not my best performance, but here is my results for the day.

Heat 1: 2:20.5 Breakout-0pts
Heat 2: 2:42.1 2nd place-3pts
Heat 3: 2:21.3 Breakout-0pts
Heat 4: 2:30.8 1st place-4pts

Point total 7, no cuts (those breakouts are a killer)

The Macchi survived the mayhem to fly another day. Others were not so lucky, about 6 or so crashes for the day, pretty routine. Not for the faint of heart .

Next race in June.