Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:34 PM
O stewardess I speak jive
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery
Hey Jake,

Good to hear you got it in the air. I maidened my Strega on Monday. I had trouble getting my YS110 running too. Terry mentioned that his will give him trouble starting if he hasn't run them for a while.

I mentioned in a previous post that I thought 20oz of fuel was overkill. Well, on my Strega I burned ~6oz in 4 minutes, so a 12oz tank should be plenty.

Good job!

Chris
Ya, I got one of those big fuel syringe things to measure the amount of fuel I put in and have been calculating fuel consumption. Even though I have the 20 ouncer in their I have just been putting in 12 oz and have had plenty of run time. But hey at least I know you can fit a 20oz tank in this plane .
Jake Williams is offline Find More Posts by Jake Williams
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2009, 08:56 PM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
OK Terry, and others, here we go:

The wing cord from LE to TE is 12.75 inches

The distance from the center to outer tip is 28.75 inches

The wing is pretty triangular so I just took the the the basic area length X width and came up with 366.5 per wing and then doubled it and came up with, Drumroll please....

733 inches squared for the Hurricane.

Hope this helps.
Jake
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:24 AM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Williams
OK Terry, and others, here we go:

The wing cord from LE to TE is 12.75 inches

The distance from the center to outer tip is 28.75 inches

The wing is pretty triangular so I just took the the the basic area length X width and came up with 366.5 per wing and then doubled it and came up with, Drumroll please....

733 inches squared for the Hurricane.

Hope this helps.
Jake
Hold on there folks, major math screw up!!!

Remeasured the wing segment
29.5 Center to outer wingtip.
13 flat for cord.

My initial numbers are off, and my initial area measurement was the entire cord instead of cutting it in half.

New numbers:
29.5 X 6.5 = 191.75 X 2 = 383.5 inches squared. This number is a little too close for comfort for me so I am going to have to get a little more precise. But I do believe my rough estimate is correct. Sorry about the screw up
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:45 AM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
Hi Jake,

Are you saying that the chord measurement at the midpoint between the center of the wing and the tip is only 6 1/2"? Man that's small. The smallest wing allowed in RCPRO is 400 square inches and the biggest engine allowed at that size is a 40 ts and 80 fs.
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
Old Mar 19, 2009, 01:21 AM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Here we go. A beer and calculator in hand .

Much better I think. The scale drawing is off, but the numbers are spot on. Tell me what you think Terry.
Last edited by Jake Williams; Mar 19, 2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 01:44 AM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
OK. One tiny screw up on the numbers but I think it is good now. Still plenty of room to play around with.

It is a good thing I am a Social Science major instead of math .

Enjoy.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:52 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
That's super Jake!

That means you could put a YS 120 in it if you so desired. I just got a sales sheet from Hobby People and they will have your plane on sale for $99 within the next few days. I am very tempted.

Blessings, Terry
Old Mar 20, 2009, 12:25 AM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by still4given
That's super Jake!

That means you could put a YS 120 in it if you so desired. I just got a sales sheet from Hobby People and they will have your plane on sale for $99 within the next few days. I am very tempted.

Blessings, Terry

So far I am happy with how it flies. I went ahead and put the pants on the wheels to give it a more scale look. I will post some pics. You just can't beat the price for these planes and at 99 bucks I could use a backup for my backup .
Old Mar 20, 2009, 12:32 AM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Quote:
That's super Jake!

Blessings, Terry
I just checked the website. Looks like it is already on sale.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 02:38 AM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Here is the pic with the pants on and really makes it look much more scale. They are not parallel with the wheels since they have to conform to the bottom airfoil in order to leave no gap. Does not seem to affect the takeoff or landings so I am grateful for that. I was afraid I was going to have some funky airbraking when the undercarriage was deployed, but it seems fine. I got two more flights today with super landings to boot, no nose grinds . Right now it has a 13X9 on it and it is way too fast, going to switch to a 13X8 next go around and see if that bleeds some of that speed off. I think I have a 13X6 around here somewhere I may try as well. Will report back. Enjoy the pic.

Jake
Old Mar 21, 2009, 10:17 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Williams
Right now it has a 13X9 on it and it is way too fast, going to switch to a 13X8 next go around and see if that bleeds some of that speed off.
Jake

Does not compute, does not compute.

Slow down a race plane?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 01:28 PM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Does not compute, does not compute.

Slow down a race plane?

I know, I know, but if I want to use it as a bronze back-up, its current speed is going to break out for sure. For now I can have fun with it though
Old Mar 23, 2009, 01:19 AM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
When did you switch to Bronze? Isn't the thread titled VQ Hurricane Silver Class?

I went to Hobby People today and picked one up. It is all glued up, retracts installed and YS 1.10 mounted on the engine mount but not yet on the plane. I want to mount the engine and check the balance before I mount the servos. I will probably move them rearward from stock as you did to make room so I can move the fuel tank over the CG. I actually like the desert camo scheme so I'm leaving mine stock. I converted a BH Mosquito to nitro and had to use fixed gear on it so that left me with a very nice set of alloy retracts for the Hurricane. I am panning to fly this in silver unless it turns out to be gold speed.

Thanks for bringing this plane to my attention. I like it alot.

Blessings, Terry
Old Mar 23, 2009, 02:22 PM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Well my Dora is temporarily out of service until I get the tail wheel fixed, and that was my backup bronzer, so the Hurricane will have to fill the void for now. I still like bronze and paying for both bronze and silver entry fees is a little rich for me right now. Lastly I need to get a silver backup put together for the Hurricane when I intend to race. I will race this season in silver, but not the first race. Im licking my chops for a 190 or Tony for a silver backup next. We shall see.

Jake

Let me know how that Hurri holds up with that 110. It should be psychotic .
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:54 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
Hey Jake,

I enjoy Bronze too. Problem is most of my planes are a little too fast for Bronze now. I have to fly long and questimate the time. It's easy to end up with a tweener that is not quite fast enough to break out in Silver, but too fast for Bronze.

The more I work on the Hurri, the more I'm looking forward to flying it. I expect the 1.10 will move it along smartly. My experience is that a good running .91 will hold it's own against the 1.10s. If I get a chance this week I'm going to try and maiden it. If it does what I think it will, it could be my Silver plane for Phoenix this weekend.

Blessings, Terry