SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2009, 07:19 PM
College Station, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
432 Posts
Jake,

She's coming along fine!! Really FINE!!!

Soon you CAN TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!
Muhhhhhhaaaaaahhhaaaaa

Don't forget ... "1 MILLION DOLLARS"

-TOMAS
www.vqwarbirds.com
info@vqwarbirds.com

"PROUD SPONSOR OF WARBIRD RACING"
http://t34racing.com/
nemesis4u is offline Find More Posts by nemesis4u
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2009, 09:49 PM
O stewardess I speak jive
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
It has been a few days since my last update, but I got a lot done.
Items completed so far:
Engine mounted.
Fillets painted and mounted
Canopy painted and mounted.
Dr. Evil and Mr. Bigglesworth cut and mounted in the cockpit.
Bottom air scoop mounted.
Cowl cut and painted.
Decals applied
tail portions painted but not mounted yet.
Tail assembly is about done. Boy the hardware for this kit is lousy. One of the blind nuts in the tail to mount the tailwheel assembly is not even threaded . Makes it a little hard to screw the tail in. Quality control...hello???

Today I have fuelproofed the firewall engine compartment and the inside of the fuse. It is a messy procedure, but necessary. I also used those new Dubro cowling mount thingys and they work great.

I am really satisfied with the decals from Callies Graphics. They went on very easy and really make the plane stand out. If you want a set of great decals you need to do business with this gal!

Still have to glue the control surfaces and put in the horns. At this time I would say I am over the hump on this project and should have everything on this wrapped up in the next couple of weeks. Just detail work and electronic stuff. Some pics for the interested...
Jake Williams is offline Find More Posts by Jake Williams
Old Feb 08, 2009, 12:27 AM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Well the control surfaces are all glued in and the tail is all done. So essentially the plane is close to being complete. I am waiting for my servos to come in for the control surfaces and retracts, but I do have the one for the throttle so I am going to the field tomorrow so I will try out the engine and see how it sings. I may try to get some pics out there.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 05:31 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Oct 2004
516 Posts
Hey Jake,

I've been following your first year of Warbird racing here on RCG. This was my first year racing planes. I did the T-34 triangle series in 2008. I plan on flying the T-34 series and maybe one or two of the Warbird races this year.

Really nice build. My only comment is that I think you're going overboard with the 20oz tank. The RCPRO guys are using a 12oz tank with the 110s. I put a 16 oz tank in mine and I'm wondering if I should have gone smaller. I haven't measured the fuel consumption on mine yet, but it doesn't seem as bad as the piped Rossi 45 that I was going with originally.

I'm doing a similar build stuffing a YS 110 into a Phoenix Strega. I'm installing a scalish canopy and recovering the plane to the scale scheme. Like you I didn't want to have the same plane as 3-4 of the other guys in our series. These build threads get me pumped up to finish mine.

Good luck,

Chris
ChrisAttebery is offline Find More Posts by ChrisAttebery
Old Feb 12, 2009, 06:19 PM
College Station, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
432 Posts
Jake,

Good luck racing this season.. YOu have a winner there... Looks awesome!

-CHEERS,

-TOMAS
www.vqwarbirds.com
info@vqwarbirds.com

"PROUD SPONSOR OF WARBIRD RACING"
http://t34racing.com/
nemesis4u is offline Find More Posts by nemesis4u
Old Feb 13, 2009, 01:07 AM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Thanks Guys:

The day I was going to go run the engine down at the field the rain came in and so I could only run it at home for a little bit instead. The Y.S. runs great (when you don't mix up your pressure and fuel line ). It took me while to figure out why it would not fire up, but problem solved. I finally got all the servos installed and the pushrods put in place. I had to change the configuration of the elevator connector. In racing you can't use EZ connectors so I soldered the two elevator pushrods together and works fine and seems pretty sturdy. Retracts are working good as well. Took me a while to get the controls all put in, I just needed a break from the plane and now I am ready to finish it up. As soon as the rain/snow backs down I will take some finishing pics and post them. We really need the rain out here so I won't complain...for now .

Chris, you should make it out for the warbird races in Sacramento this season. There are a couple guys from the bay area that come out to race. I know the 20oz tank may be excessive, but I will see how it CG's out and weighs to make sure things are O.K. The tank sure fits in there fine with plenty of room. For me it is better to have too much fuel than not enough.

Jake
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:30 AM
Joined Oct 2004
516 Posts
Jake,

Maybe someday. Right now I try not to take too much time away from my family. Once they're old enough to join in the fun I'll probably start venturing out a bit farther from home. I used to live in Sac off Watt and 50. It's only about 5 miles from there.

I've been told that the Phoenix Strega is banned at SAMS anyway.

I hear you on the tank. I had a 6 oz Tetra in my T-34 for a while this year. I had just enough fuel to do a 60 second warmup, 1:45 race, and about 60 seconds to land. It was too close for comfort. It's got a 12oz in it now and that's probably twice what I need but at least I won't have to worry about being the first to land after every heat.

Keep up the good work,

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Williams

Chris, you should make it out for the warbird races in Sacramento this season. There are a couple guys from the bay area that come out to race. I know the 20oz tank may be excessive, but I will see how it CG's out and weighs to make sure things are O.K. The tank sure fits in there fine with plenty of room. For me it is better to have too much fuel than not enough.

Jake
Old Feb 13, 2009, 04:59 PM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Ya, SAMS I guess will grandfather in the racers that have used their Phoenix Stregas in previous races, but once it crashes, it is done. The Spitfire they make is a popular airframe in the races that a lot of guys use. It looks great and is put together well. It even comes with retracts. Well even if you can't make it to the races we will post the results so you can see who is doing well in the heats.

Still can't get this plane up in the air yet. The weather has come in with a vengence and had to spend the morning shoveling a path for my wife to get out for work. They say it is supposed to be like this until Tuesday. Oh brother . It may be another week until the maiden folks so stay tuned.

Jake
Old Feb 13, 2009, 05:45 PM
Joined Oct 2004
516 Posts
My partner from my boat racing days lives near Placerville. It took him 2 hours to get to work this morning. I think he lives about 15 miles away.

When I was in the Air Force I was stationed in Colorado. I ran boats at the time and it used to drive me nuts when the pond was frozen over for 4-5 months at a time.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 01:12 AM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Well the weather broke for a short stint so I decided to go and try to maiden the Hurricane. The YS .91 was giving me some uber problems. Not sure what the problem is, but it starts to pulse up and down on the throttle at full throttle. It also is spewing a lot of fuel out the exhaust and at times it hydrolocks "sometin fierce". I am not a motor expert, so any ideas out there? I may just pack it off and send it to YS parts and service and let them get it running right. I might just yank the motor out of my Pica 190D and throw it in this bad boy. What a bummer at this point. Here are some pics of the finished bird. I will keep you updated.

First Race is in April.

BTW: If you have the Great Planes G4.5 simulator, one of the new 3D photo fields is the Gold Country Aeromodelers field. That is our field at Beale AFB. They just messed up put the old club name by mistake. It is now the Beale Blackbirds. If you have that program you can fly right on our field. Kinda cool eh?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 07:26 AM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
Looking good Jake. Bummer you couldn't fly it. Sounds like you have some crud in the regulator. Not too hard to open up and clean out. I'm sure you already thought to try a different glow plug. Other things to check for would be the valve clearance and look to make sure the push rod tubes are seated properly at the top where they fit into the O rings.

Looking forward to the flight report.

Does the Hawker have enough wing area for the YS 1.10?

Thanks, Terry
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:13 PM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by still4given
Looking good Jake. Bummer you couldn't fly it. Sounds like you have some crud in the regulator. Not too hard to open up and clean out. I'm sure you already thought to try a different glow plug. Other things to check for would be the valve clearance and look to make sure the push rod tubes are seated properly at the top where they fit into the O rings.

Looking forward to the flight report.

Does the Hawker have enough wing area for the YS 1.10?

Thanks, Terry
I am not that technical when it comes to working on a YS and I tend to create more problems than I solve when working on them so I will leave it to YS to get it in shape. Also, since the motor is used it may have some issues that I may not see, but parts and maintenence may be able to correct. My motto is "leave it to the experts" on this one. I need to get the wing area calculated so hang in there. I am packaging the motor tonight and will mail it in the morning. Hang tight folks.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:28 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
Measure the chord of the wing at the half way point between center and the tip and them multiply by the span. That would be close enough for me.

Blessings, Terry
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:08 PM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Maiden Report

Patience and anxiety pills paid off:

The weather finally cleaned up its act today and calm winds and open skies were on hand so I decided to take advantage of the lull. Took me a little bit to get the motor running right but finally it chugged along. Take off was quick and I had a little too much throw in the elevator so I switched to lows and that helped. flew smooth in the air. A few clickes of down elevator and left aileron and she was trimmed. Landings are different than the Veltro. The shorter fuse makes it more touchy and I nosed it into the pavement a little, and I slowed down and hit the shoulder where it flipped on its back. No major damage except a cracked canopy, a chipped prop and a grind job on the valve cover of the YS. Got three flights in with it. Was going to go for a fourth, but a hinge was loose on the elevator so I called it a day. Other than the slight cosmetic damage, I was happy with the maiden. It is a lot faster than the Veltro and I will have to prop it down for bronze or I will be breaking out left and right. This is a silver capable plane by all means. No pics or video this round since I was solo, but maybe next time.

BTW: Terry, I will try to get the wing area tonight.

Jake
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:51 AM
Joined Oct 2004
516 Posts
Hey Jake,

Good to hear you got it in the air. I maidened my Strega on Monday. I had trouble getting my YS110 running too. Terry mentioned that his will give him trouble starting if he hasn't run them for a while.

I mentioned in a previous post that I thought 20oz of fuel was overkill. Well, on my Strega I burned ~6oz in 4 minutes, so a 12oz tank should be plenty.

Good job!

Chris