HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:45 PM
Hayward, CA
Joined Jan 2009
708 Posts
Discussion
Dumas Huson 24

Hello folks
I'm fairly new here and I've admired the works of many members of this board, so I thought I'd add a bit of my own work.

I built this boat about 3 years ago. It's the Dumas Huson 24. A very basic kit but not difficult to assemble. This model has a fiberglassed hull and I modified the rudder mechanism to extend up through the hull to a laminated tiller handle. The tiller turns with the rudder and it looks like a ghost is at the helm when under sail
Enjoy!

Vince Hoffmann is offline Find More Posts by Vince Hoffmann
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:49 PM
Hayward, CA
Joined Jan 2009
708 Posts
Another note... All of the trim pieces including the hand rails and cabin door are mahogony. The wood was trimmed from scraps left over from a sailing skiff I built back in '04 and has a beautiful golden brown appearance when finished.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:53 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,522 Posts
It has a nice vintage look to it and seems like a pleasant way to enjoy those afternoon breezes. I'd be careful about water getting in through the deck/cabin join and fairleads, though. Also, it looks like you could move the batteries forward a bit to get her floating nearer the waterline.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jan 19, 2009, 08:29 AM
Hayward, CA
Joined Jan 2009
708 Posts
Thanks for the compliment Martin
I'll need an extension for the battery, but you're right, it does sit a little high in the bow.
The cabin fits tightly onto the hull and I've never had any water intrusion through the fairleads. When the water is that rough, I don't sail! This boat has been on the water at least a couple dozen times in the past 3 years.

The Huson is a good handling boat, if a bit slow in the tacks because of the large keel.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:59 AM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
162 Posts
Nice paint job Vince, I like yours better than mine. I built mine about five years ago and it was the kit with the wooden hull. It was the first boat I built. I've not gotten any water in it either.
You said something about an abs hull, did you plank over it?
I've sailed mine here in Wyoming with decent wind and it sailed well. I don't have any pictures of it sailing. I derived the water line by placing it in a tub with talcum powder on the water surface and then used the line made by the talcum powder that stuck to the hull.
jimhurley is offline Find More Posts by jimhurley
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:12 AM
Joined Nov 2008
6 Posts
Nice job! Very clean.
Rick Thaxton is offline Find More Posts by Rick Thaxton
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:39 AM
Hayward, CA
Joined Jan 2009
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhurley
You said something about an abs hull, did you plank over it?
No, this is the wood plank on frame kit. I've heard there is/was a 24" long plastic hull version out there, but I've never seen pictures of it.

Quote:
I derived the water line by placing it in a tub with talcum powder on the water surface and then used the line made by the talcum powder that stuck to the hull.
Your water line looks exactly how mine looks when under sail I put mine in the bathtub and measured the level of the water at the beam, then ran that line evenly around the hull.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:56 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,373 Posts
Nice boats, guys!

I've seen the ABS version... Looks the same as the finished wood kit... I can't remember if the plastic version had a bulb keel though...
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:16 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
Very nice boats guys.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME