HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:43 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Dandy Sport - aileron Trainer

My brother-in-law has been learning to fly and he is now flying a Dandy. He wants to get into ailerons and we were talking about it Friday evening. Suddently it hit me - The Dany uses the same airfoil and same chord as the Switchback Sport. The Sport wing will fit the Dandy fuselage perfectly, you just need to mount the aileron on the top.

I will be rewriting the manual for the Switchback Sport replacement wing to make it a Dandy Sport wing and I'll be kitting the Dandy Sport as a complete package.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:47 AM
Up, up and away
Seal Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2003
321 Posts
Thats is really neat!!! And I already know so many people that will buy one. They will buy anything buy MM. Cant wait to see one fly!

-Superman
Superman is offline Find More Posts by Superman
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:32 AM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
I got a chance to fly the original Dandy Sport (Doug's plane) yesterday. He summoned me over at our fly-in to give it a whirl and I must say that it is probably the best aileron trainer that I have ever flown. It is extremely stable, has strong self righting characteristics, is incredibly easy to build/repair, and since its Mountain Models I'm sure it'll be inexpensive with outstanding customer support.

The beauty of the Dandy Sport IMHO is that it is another extremely flexible design. With the polyhedral sailplane like wing on the original Dandy you can remove the landing gear, put a folding prop on it and go soaring... or with the gear on use it as a rudder/elevator trainer. Then swap out the wing for the Sport wing and you've got an aileron trainer. Then strap an EPS 300 (EPS 100 is stock) to it and increase your control throws and you've got a great basic aerobatic trainer. Very flexible and adaptable design Doug!

Any way I figured I'd throw in my .02

-Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:53 AM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,951 Posts
Sport Wing

Hi Doug! Will the switchback Sport/Dandy Sport wing be available soon. Have not built my dandy yet but would like the flexability of the two wings. Good deal!!!

Pete
peterv is offline Find More Posts by peterv
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:08 PM
Horrible Test Pilot
Lyman WY
Joined May 2002
888 Posts
Excellent idea Doug, now when my wife's ready for ailerons, I don't have to try to teach her on my precious SB.
I'd order a wing from you, but I still have the wing from my original SBS.

Jason
Beachernaut is offline Find More Posts by Beachernaut
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:38 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Pete,

The Switchback Sport wing is all you need (plus another servo). Just mount the servo on the top. I'll try to get to the manual quickly so that I'll have an "official" Dandy Sport wing kit. The only difference between it and the Switchback Sport wing kit will be the instructions.

Doug
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:50 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,951 Posts
Sport Wing

Thanks Doug! I'll watch your posts and web site. Looks like a simple mod, servo on top of the wing like my T-52/48 aileron mod.
Very good idea!!!

Pete
Old Mar 10, 2003, 01:04 PM
Ann Arbor, MI
Joined Aug 2002
63 Posts
You beat me to it!

Doug -
Great idea! I just ordered an extra SB Sport wing to make the conversion. That was going to be the next month's project. My Dandy flew so well with the AF010 on an 8-cell pack, I wanted to go the next step, ailerons. Having just finished an SB Sport wing, I knew the fit was perfect.

Dave
Dave5cents is offline Find More Posts by Dave5cents
Old Mar 10, 2003, 01:22 PM
United States, NY, Dutchess
Joined Jun 2002
652 Posts
Doug,
Great idea! I was planning on using my SB as an aileron trainer, but this seems like a much better way to go for that purpose. I had also been wondering whether the Dandy (standard) would make a good camera platform. Do you think Dandy Sport would be able to act as a camera platform or would it be better to fly with the standard wing when taking pictures and the SB wing to train alierons with?
robs is offline Find More Posts by robs
Old Mar 10, 2003, 01:28 PM
NJ, USA
Joined Mar 2002
152 Posts
Does anyone know if a SB sport wing will fit onto a Dusk Stick?

I am building a Short - Polyhedrial Dusk Stick for my Father, and it would be nice to graduate him up to a SB sport wing once he gets better.

-Lou
Allora is offline Find More Posts by Allora
Old Mar 10, 2003, 01:38 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Doug,
Finally somebody did it right that knows what a aileron trainer for electrics is supposed to fly like!!!! My hats off to you!!!!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Mar 10, 2003, 01:50 PM
Crash and Build
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Oct 2001
2,142 Posts
regarding moving the servo:
would be great for those of us who built the SB sport with no landing gear.
dpoles is offline Find More Posts by dpoles
Old Mar 10, 2003, 01:56 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,951 Posts
Boomer, how right you are! Now here is a plane that is a floater, add ailerons and you have your floating aileron trainer! Just what the hobby needs, and who better to do it! A trainer for some and a fun flyer for others! Go Doug!

Pete
Last edited by peterv; Mar 10, 2003 at 01:59 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 02:49 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
Doug,

What are the pros and cons of the Dandy Sport vs. the SB Sport? I can throw a EPS300 in the Dandy fuse and get the power of the SB. The only down side I can see is CG. With the EPS300 it might be hard to get the CG right on the Dandy fuse.

Doug/Scott, were you running the EPS100 motor in the Dandy Sport? What battery did you use?
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Mar 10, 2003, 03:46 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
I was running the EPS100. I haven't tried the 300 yet.

I'm worried about the tail of the Dandy if you push the power. It wasn't designed to go fast. I think the Dandy Sport will never perform like the Switchback Sport - they were designed from the ground for different purposes.

Lou, I believe the SB Sport wing will fit on the DuskStik. You better rubber band it on really tight though, and make sure your wing pylon is glued on well. Remember that the Dandy fuse can be built about as fast as the DuskStik so the Dandy might be a better way to go.

Robs, I think the long wing DuskStik is a better camera platform. I've used it for that with good results.

Doug