HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2009, 01:20 PM
USA, VA, Harrisonburg
Joined Jul 2005
61 Posts
Build Log
Mini Mud Duck Build

Started on the mini Mud Duck, Its blue fan fold foam, 1/2 size of the original MkI Mud Duck. I have the original plans from Tom Chipley and after building and flying the MkI for 16+ yrs was looking at it hanging in myshop and thought a 50% one would make a great little electric bird. Heres a few pics of the build.

Pete
jmupilot is offline Find More Posts by jmupilot
Last edited by jmupilot; Jan 18, 2009 at 02:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2009, 06:57 PM
I just want to fly
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Aug 2008
690 Posts
very nice cant wait to see it in the air
justwanttofly is offline Find More Posts by justwanttofly
Old Jan 18, 2009, 07:36 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,553 Posts
Looks great, one of these days I will get my mini Duck finished.
matthew954 is offline Find More Posts by matthew954
Old Feb 07, 2009, 08:42 PM
USA, VA, Harrisonburg
Joined Jul 2005
61 Posts
Mini is coming along slowly

Just spent the day doing more on the Mini Mud Duck. Had to figure how to attach the wings like the giant. the upper connections are the same, but trying to find mini strap hinges is impossible. So had to make up my own strut-wing and strut to fuse connectors. I have the tail finished and one pic shows the neat way I'm hooking the servo to the elevator to avoid long servo leads. A bell crank kinda thing made from a servo arm. I plan on putting the elevator and rudder servos on top of the fuse right at the trailing edge of the wing. Trexler 4.5 in balloon tires are a close match for the Go-Kart inner tubes on the giant Mud Duck. Hope to get it in the air by next week.

Pete
Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:06 PM
USA, VA, Harrisonburg
Joined Jul 2005
61 Posts
Funished up and ready to go fly

Got the Mini Mud Duck finished. Now just have to wait for the windy weather here on the east coast to go elsewhere.
forecast is for quiet winds this eve may get to go and get so field pics and video.

Final specs are as follows:
Wing Span 52 in
Weight 34 oz.
Wing area 1040 sq.in.
Motor TowerPro Gold 2410-12 Delta wind
Prop GWS 9x4 Direct drive
Battery Zippy 1800 3s 11.1
servo 2x Hitec HS-81
ESC WOW 25 Amp
RX Futaba 114 FM 4 ch.

As you can see I tried to keep cost to a min. buying the low end components. I will see if I need to add an additional rear wing strut to give wash out if needed(as per the Giant Mud Duck). I made the Motor stick exchangeable to accomodate different power types. I have one of the old brushed GWS 400 geared power units that I may try just to see how it compares to the brushless set up. I have also on hand a brushless geared power unit that lets me swing a huge 12 in prop. There is no clearance problem on the duck, hey I'll find out which one does best and go with it. It is made of BluFFF, entire model is that except for a few pieces of basswood and ply and a few bamboo skewers. I covered the Blue FFF with monoKote covering. Just keep the heat low, and it will adhere to the FFF very nicely after you remove the film that comes on the bluefoam.

Pete
Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:19 PM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
531 Posts
hey thanks on the servo pic i was woundering how to put them i see you used a seesaw looking good
thechannelmast is online now Find More Posts by thechannelmast
Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:52 PM
USA, VA, Harrisonburg
Joined Jul 2005
61 Posts
It Flys

Got to get in one flight this evening. Temp dropped like crazy so only got to fly once. The Mini flys just like the Giant does. Wind was about 5-8 mph cross the runway so I lined it up cross ways and hit the throttle. Rolled about 4 ft and up like it was on an elevator. Backed off to 1/2 throttle and it was flying like a MudDuck should. Couple of clicks of down and a few right and it was in trim. Wind gusting made flying straight and level difficult. It only weighs 34 oz's all up ready to fly. Lined up from the landing and dropped the throttle to low. It just came down with out hardly any forward speed. Landing roll was about 1 ft. Cant wait to get a no wind day to get some more in, Now I'll have to get the Giant Mud Duck out and tune up the engine. I'm contemplating on trying it indoors. It flys slow enough. but need less control throw. The radio I put in it does not have dual rate or Expo so its rather crisp on the controls. With both of these it will tame it down to a great little electric flyer.

Pete
Old Feb 15, 2009, 06:09 PM
i love foam.
San Jose, Claifornia
Joined Dec 2006
111 Posts
VERY unique!!
Mr.Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Kiwi
Old Feb 15, 2009, 06:16 PM
USA, NJ, Cliffwood Beach
Joined May 2005
214 Posts
Great! Sounds like once you cut your throws a bit you should be all set! It looks great as well. It would be funny to see that fly indoors with that big of a wingspan. I was working on a smaller ones for indoors. My club flys in a H.S. gym, sometimes with the partition down so it can get tight on some nights. We have an indoor pylon race in a week and a half so I need to come up with something like a Speedy Duck by then

I'm glad you are enjoying it!

Greg
MudDuckAviation is offline Find More Posts by MudDuckAviation
Old Feb 15, 2009, 08:29 PM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
531 Posts
hey how about a mid wing duck wow a midduck
thechannelmast is online now Find More Posts by thechannelmast
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:33 PM
USA, VA, Harrisonburg
Joined Jul 2005
61 Posts
First flight with out any gusty winds

This evening I finally got no wind to try the Mini MD again. Take off was great and it climbs very well under full power. Cruise is good at 1/2 throttle.... Now a question. At full throttle it takes no trim to fly straight, but when I reduce the power to idle it turns to the right. Do I need more right thrust so when I trim for power I need to trim in left so when power is off I dont have to hold left rudder?

It has no right thrust at all now, and about 4 degrees down. Pitch seems normal through all power settings. Full throttle gives good climb, 1/2 throttle level flight, idle and it decends. There is no noticeable turn tendency from about 1/2 to full, only when at idle.

Thanks,
Pete
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:56 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,553 Posts
Good work! A little more work and my Mini Duck will be finished. I have run into a few snags with my design. Not to mention a lack of funds to get the last few parts I need. I really like how you have your servos placed. Thats one of the snags I've run into thats giving me trouble. Its going to be difficult to make adjustments to the rudder and elevator control throws. Hopefully Greg has been able to make some plans for a Mud Duck funfly.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:38 PM
USA, NJ, Cliffwood Beach
Joined May 2005
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmupilot
This evening I finally got no wind to try the Mini MD again. Take off was great and it climbs very well under full power. Cruise is good at 1/2 throttle.... Now a question. At full throttle it takes no trim to fly straight, but when I reduce the power to idle it turns to the right. Do I need more right thrust so when I trim for power I need to trim in left so when power is off I dont have to hold left rudder?

It has no right thrust at all now, and about 4 degrees down. Pitch seems normal through all power settings. Full throttle gives good climb, 1/2 throttle level flight, idle and it decends. There is no noticeable turn tendency from about 1/2 to full, only when at idle.

Thanks,
Pete
Hey Pete,

Sounds good. You're on the right track. Give it a couple degrees right thrust and re-trim the rudder. If you have a radio with mixing you can always slave rudder to the throttle if thats simpler for you.

Matthew,

My club had a core group of guys interested in doing it at our field but the club as a whole isn't really looking too interested in it, although they haven't said "no" I think the silent majority would rather keep the field available for themselves.

Therefore, I will look into alternatives. If anyone out there has a field they can lend or share with some Duck's for a day let me know.

Greg

P.S. I have placed orders for materials to start producing Mud Duck Sport kits again. I am starting with a 100 kit run. Depending on the response I may get new dies for the BIG Ducks and the A-D Sport. I just placed an order for Mud Duck Aviation hats so they should be available in my store soon; I'm still working on t-shirts.
MudDuckAviation is offline Find More Posts by MudDuckAviation
Old Feb 25, 2009, 07:32 AM
USA, VA, Harrisonburg
Joined Jul 2005
61 Posts
I have mixing with my 8 ch Futaba just have to figure out how to do that. I cranked the motor mount at little to the right Will try again this evening again. I let you know how this works.

Pete
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:34 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,553 Posts
Well Greg since you mentioned that. My club save for myself of course, havent been using our field very much. My clubs president, had been keeping the field in good flying shape all last summer. Well so long as he knows someone has been putting it to good use. I could ask him if we all could use the field for a funfly. Heres a few pics of my field as of last summer. Due to lack of constant use (other than me of course), it needs a little bit of work to get it back to its original look. I know alot of the other local clubs around here have been itching to have a funfly at my field again. If anyone is interested I can go out to the field and figure out exactly what it does need done to it. Let me know!