HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:32 AM
Joined Aug 2007
150 Posts
New Product
IJN Battleship Fuso 1:96 scratch... by Rich S.

IJN Fuso Class Battleship

The Fuso class was a larger and more powerful version of the Kongo class battlecruisers. Composed of two ships, the Fuso and the Yamashiro, the former was laid down at the Kure Naval Yard on 11 March 1912 and the latter at the Yokosuka Naval Yard on 20 November 1913. Both ships were outfitted with six twin 14in turrets and as a result, were built with a greater length to provide the necessary space for such an armament. The ships were designed with offensive capability in mind and as a result suffered from weak armor.

Throughout their lives, the Fuso and the Yamashiro underwent periodic modifications and modernizations. By 1923, foremast platforms were added, as well as changes to the funnel caps to lessen smoke hindrance. Yamashiro in the same time period was equipped with a large spotlight and an experimental platform above her No. 2 turret to allow aircraft to fly off her deck. The Fuso class were also the first ships in the Japanese Imperial Navy to be rebuilt to accomindate oil-burning boilers, which allowed for a minimal increase in speed and independence from coal. In the same reconstruction period in the early part of the 1930's, both ships were outfitted with tower foremasts and the Fuso's 14in gun was modified to elevate an additional 13 degrees allowing for a farther range of 5,000 meters.

The overall modification period in the 1930's lasted five years and also involved the lengthening of the aft hull, as well as the addition of more armor. Prior ro the Battle of Midway, it had been taken into consideration that the Fuso class be converted into hybrid carrier-battleship. This plan was dropped after the devestating defeat at Midway. The Fuso and the Yamashiro saw little action in the war and were sunk together at the Battle of Surigao Strait, part of the larger Battle of Leyte Gulf, on 25 October 1944.

About the Builder

Many of you are familiar with my fun builds, which include, USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71), USS Tarawa, Mobile Bay, LCAC, LCU and IJN Yamato.

This build will be my first using plans generated from my computer. It will be built as in 1944. As much as I love animation, only one will be loaded (two in the works at the same time). One is already lined-up for donation.
I will be creating this absolutely gorgeous warship over this next year. All molds will be saved if anyone wants a crack at her.

She should be ready for our 2009 Pearl Harbor Remembrance Run in Dec.

Please enjoy what will be a fast paced build log with very little writing and lots of pictures.

http://www.wmunderway.8m.com/cgi/yab...num=1232295141

Rich
Rich S. - CV, CA is offline Find More Posts by Rich S. - CV, CA
Last edited by Rich S. - CV, CA; Jan 18, 2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: category
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:55 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Very cool Rich. Looking forward to this build!!!
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Jan 18, 2009, 02:37 PM
Sweeper Nut
Joined Apr 2007
625 Posts
I'll be watching too Rich.
Mike McCrea is online now Find More Posts by Mike McCrea
Old Jan 18, 2009, 02:43 PM
Arbeia -By a river devoid of ships...
Joined Jun 2008
3 Posts
[QUOTE
About the Builder

Many of you are familiar with my fun builds, which include, USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71), USS Tarawa, Mobile Bay, LCAC, LCU and IJN Yamato.

This build will be my first using plans generated from my computer. It will be built as in 1944. As much as I love animation, only one will be loaded (two in the works at the same time). One is already lined-up for donation.
I will be creating this absolutely gorgeous warship over this next year. All molds will be saved if anyone wants a crack at her.

She should be ready for our 2009 Pearl Harbor Remembrance Run in Dec.

Please enjoy what will be a fast paced build log with very little writing and lots of pictures.

Rich[/QUOTE]
You've got my undivided attention as I attempt my first RC build here in England of HMS Chatham type 22 Frigate 1/72 scale - remember those pictures can speak a thousand words to a beginner...
AdmiralOgle is offline Find More Posts by AdmiralOgle
Old Jan 19, 2009, 02:01 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,728 Posts
Anyone willing to tackle one of those pagoda masts has my respect and attention. Will be watching.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:40 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Admiral,
For some reason I always thought the Japanese made some of the prettiest ships. The heavy cruisers with their massive purposeful superstructures, and the older battleships with their seemingly impossible 'pagodas' stacked level over level always fascinated me. I always wondered if those structures were actually designed that way or just "we need another platform for this piece of equipment so lets weld another platform on top of here or back here between the legs of this mast."
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jan 19, 2009, 03:57 PM
Leesburg, VA, USA
Joined Dec 2008
218 Posts
Rich:

Looking forward to your build. Do you have the Anatomy of the Ship book on the Fuso?
admiralbb62 is online now Find More Posts by admiralbb62
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:37 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
if nothing else it will be interesting to watch you replicate the pagodas
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:34 PM
Joined Aug 2007
150 Posts

Let's get crackin'

B U I L D L I N K :

Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:56 AM
Joined Aug 2007
150 Posts

Hull plug nearly complete.

LINK:

in above post
Last edited by Rich S. - CV, CA; Feb 02, 2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 12:07 AM
Joined Aug 2007
150 Posts
Plug complete.

Let me know if you want a copy. Send pm

link in above post.
Last edited by Rich S. - CV, CA; Feb 02, 2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:24 PM
Joined Aug 2007
150 Posts
...mold coming along...

Having a good time learning how to build molds.

http://www.wmunderway.8m.com/cgi/yab...32295141/15#15
Old Feb 16, 2009, 01:01 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,625 Posts
Me likee!
herrmill is online now Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:30 AM
Joined Aug 2007
150 Posts
...Moving Right Along.

This build is taking shape and should be available for your collection in the coming months. Please enjoy the progress.

http://www.wmunderway.8m.com/cgi/yab...=1232295141/30

Rich
Old Apr 13, 2009, 02:13 AM
Joined Aug 2007
150 Posts
Fuso Ready to Purchase Soon...RTR IJN Warship 1945

Hey Folks,

Working hard on Fuso. She should sell for about $3K US, no paint. At this price she will be lacking quite a few fittings. I'm trying to make the price as affordable as possible, while still trying to earn a profit. Additional fittings will be available as your budget allows. More details to come.

I have also decided to make my services available to those who may need them. Hulls, fittings, decks, etc....Please see link for more details in regards to pricing and so forth:

http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/Forum/t...c/Default.aspx

Please enjoy Fuso updated pics.

Rich S.